10+ grams of scrap palladium in hammond organ

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok kurt promis je vais lire ce fil qui a l'air intéressant, je ne doute pas que tu aies raison hein, pour ma part avec 1kg d'aliage granailler dans un becher de 3litres.
+200 ml d'eau (pour booster)
+250 ml hno3 65% (pour rappel)
+ad hno3 quand diminution visuelle de la réaction
T°C 5°/ 15°C extérieur)
J'ai encore beaucoup de palladium en solution.
(essai au chlorure staneux).
quand j'ai traité 75kg d'alliage Ag 82%/pd8%/W 10%.

j'ai eu tellement de pd que [dmg sponge].

mais je pense que ma solution a fini par chauffer plus que la vôtre car elle était probablement en plus grande quantité.

Je ne sais pas?
Je vais lire ton sujet et te donner mon avis bye
if you want to see my result from aliage i can send picture
You have been told by others to - PLEASE translate what you post to the forum to English before posting it

I have NO idea what you said in this last post

Kurt

with 1kg of aliage granailler in a 3liter beaker.

when I treated 75kg of aliage Ag 82%/pd8%/W 10%.

I believe we are talking about to very different things here

You are talking about Pd that is alloyed with silver --- when the Pd is actually alloyed with silver (or other metal like copper/brass the Pd is most certainly going to dissolve along with silver (or other metal) --- so both the Pd & silver (or other metal) goes into solution --- you then need to selectively precipitate (separate) those metals out of the solution --- the silver first - then the Pd --- or the Pd first - then the silver

In other words - the method I describe in this thread & the thread I posted a link to does not work if the Pd is alloyed with silver (or other metal)

In this thread & the thread I posted a link to we are talking about a completely different thing

In this thread the Pd is PURE Pd "contact points" that are "attached" to a copper/brass buss bar - so you can dissolve the copper/brass without dissolving the Pd because the Pd is not alloyed with the copper brass

The same is true in the post I provided a link to except that "some" of the points are pure silver on copper/brass bus bars - & "some of the points are pure Pd on copper/brass bus bars --- so again - because the Pd is pure Pd & not alloyed with the other metals - you can dissolve those other metals (including the silver) without dissolving the Pd

Kurt

Kurt,

You're right that nitric is the easiest way to separate Pd wire from Hammond tone bars, as long as they are copper or brass. However, some of the tone bars are made of a different metal, which passivates in nitric. The palladium will dissolve first, even in cold nitric, leaving the bare tone bars behind. I know this, because I've done it myself. Pd in solution is not a problem if you're used to dealing with it, but not if you're trying to strip the wires intact. HCl does gradually loosen the wires on these tone bars, but it takes a long time. If anyone knows of a quick way to do it, not involving razors, etc., I would certainly be glad to hear it.

ok kurt you make me really want to go and see what you have done it looks exciting.
I'll check it out
thanks

I'll put some pictures of a project I've already finished.
I don't post much my smartphone is dead.
but i was able to extract some pictures
I do not develop more here, just to illustrate my method of separation of palladium, (with dmg).
besides I was in a hurry and here I did not try to repurify a second time or to electrolyze, I saw some people taking then the palladium sponge diluted in ammonia and reprecipitating it with hcl, if someone has an explanation about this, see results at xrf I'm interested
pd 80% average purity (77%/90%81/75%)
gold in average (995/1000) (9985/1000)
silver 999/1000
Platinium was not present

the table: last Picture
TOP BOX:
1weight/2/3/4 pgms
-red chalk weight per theoretical alloy
-white chalk (% of precious in each alloy ingot)
only one alloy of 28 gr found in the forge has not been tested.
-the last column at the bottom adds up everything

see you

Attachments

• dechet tout genre.jpg
    dechet tout genre.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 10
  • bloc palla aliage.jpg
    bloc palla aliage.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 10
  • grenaille aliages pd au ag cu, zn...............jpg
    grenaille aliages pd au ag cu, zn...............jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 9
  • dmg yellow sponge pd.jpg
    dmg yellow sponge pd.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 8
  • dmg cake sponge.jpg
    dmg cake sponge.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 7
  • palla 80% first test was cool.jpg
    palla 80% first test was cool.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 9
  • moon gold.jpg
    moon gold.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 77gr or.jpg
    77gr or.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 9
  • tableau 3.jpg
    tableau 3.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 8
I use 20% sulfuric with additions of swimming pool oxidizer ( it’s around 25% hydrogen peroxide).

Start with about 1cup of peroxide per gallon of 20% sulfuric. Battery electrolyte is 30% sulfuric.

Can get hot, give it time to start reacting. I use 5 gallon plastic bucket with lid. Only a gallon of liquid to start. Doesn’t put any palladium into solution.

Kurt,

You're right that nitric is the easiest way to separate Pd wire from Hammond tone bars, as long as they are copper or brass. However, some of the tone bars are made of a different metal, which passivates in nitric. The palladium will dissolve first, even in cold nitric, leaving the bare tone bars behind. I know this, because I've done it myself. Pd in solution is not a problem if you're used to dealing with it, but not if you're trying to strip the wires intact. HCl does gradually loosen the wires on these tone bars, but it takes a long time. If anyone knows of a quick way to do it, not involving razors, etc., I would certainly be glad to hear it.
Per the bold print - You are talking about the long wire on the long bar - right ?

The long wire is spot brazed on the bar (about every inch or so) the braze is a nickel braze which yes will dissolve in HCl & loosen the wire

You can speed that up by boiling them in the HCl

The last time I recover the Pd from Hammond organs was years ago & that is how I loosened the wire from the bar

If I remember right it only took about an hour & a half maybe 2 hours to loosen the wire by boiling the bars in HCl

Kurt

All,

After lurking on this forum for over 10 years, I finally have something worthy of a post. This week, I picked up an old Hammond H-300, and harvested 10.5 grams of palladium from just the busbars alone.

I have been taking apart scrap Hammonds for over a year now, and have taken apart over a dozen or so. This H-300 has by far the most palladium of any of the models I have taken apart. I actually wrote up a full report on scrapping a Hammond C2, which I thought had a lot of palladium at 7.5 grams in the busbars.

Here are a few photos.

View attachment 44638
View attachment 44637
View attachment 44636

I just wanted to say thanks and let you guys know how much I've enjoyed lurking in this community.

If anybody has a suggestion for how to refine this palladium, please point me in the right direction. I have about 2toz of scrap.

Thanks to all.
Ive only just noticed this thread did a quick search after I picked up 3 M102's and I have 2 others coming dont know the model No.s yet? ill be stripping them as long as none of them have ever been played by Ray Manzarek or Billy Preston ? hahahaha

Long time I have not been posting.

I'm scrapping a newer Hammond Aurora Classic from 1971. There is no palladium on the key buss, but there is a short wire contact on the key tab that touches the buss bar. I only got two grains of the contact wire out of this machine. Have not tested it for Pd.

I am curious about this one switch with silver contacts. Some kind or rheostat maybe, I don't know, but it's got nine 1/8" rods perpendicular to he travel of two silver contacts each on eight push-pull levers. The plastic switch box is about 10" long and 2-1/2" wide, about 1-1/4" thick. Does anyone know if the nine rods might have value? Or, can anyone identify this type of switch assembly by name?

I apologize for not being able to post photos. Thanks.
I think the switch asssembly you are referring to is the drawbars, also called tonebars.

Back