4 days, 79 nuggets, 15 grams

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

Reno Chris

It hasn't traveled far - no question of that. There is a source somewhere close, but much of the hills there are buried in 20 or 30 feet of soil, so its hard to see where the source might be.

Tndavid

Very nice. Wish we had somewhere close to home to detect for nuggets. I need to get my little Ace back out and knock the dust off.

UncleBenBen

Supporting Member
Tndavid said:
Very nice. Wish we had somewhere close to home to detect for nuggets. I need to get my little Ace back out and knock the dust off.

When I was in my late teens, early twenties, I would run down around Dahlonega in North East Georgia to do some panning once or twice a year. Never really brought back much, but it was a fun time and well worth the drive from Cheatham/Davidson county. I would imagine there would be some good places to do some detecting also.

Tndavid

UncleBenBen said:
Tndavid said:

When I was in my late teens, early twenties, I would run down around Dahlonega in North East Georgia to do some panning once or twice a year. Never really brought back much, but it was a fun time and well worth the drive from Cheatham/Davidson county. I would imagine there would be some good places to do some detecting also.
So I looked at your profile Ben, and don't see it fit to call you uncle anymore as you are just a year older than me. Lol. Do you do any electrical work at any of the plants in New Johnsonville Tn?

UncleBenBen

Supporting Member
Tndavid said:
So I looked at your profile Ben, and don't see it fit to call you uncle anymore as you are just a year older than me. Lol. Do you do any electrical work at any of the plants in New Johnsonville Tn?

Haha! My family and most friends have called me BenBen since I was about 7 or 8 years old. Now that a whole slew of niece and nephews have come along they've all added the 'uncle' to it.

Ive caught some nice catfish around the steam plant, but never have worked at New Johnsonville. I've been subcontracting at Vandy for over 13 years now. Before this it was mostly residential work with a couple uncles.

SnowmanHimalaya

thanks, it is very encouraging thread. Exactly what I need, after two months searching in Himalayan river I found nothing, but alluminium trash on any depths. I have two detectors Garrett at gold and atx. with atx I can dig deepper holes (ugh) with same results. fine gold here is almost everywhere, even in sand what used for construction.

butcher

Staff member
Try the gold pan, it is a good detector for gold, one of the prospectors best tools for locating gold in sands creeks or rivers.

SnowmanHimalaya

butcher said:
Try the gold pan, it is a good detector for gold, one of the prospectors best tools for locating gold in sands creeks or rivers.

after digging one hole I found paystreak and now classifing sand, taking it home (river is nearby) planing to run on miller table later. by panning separation is impossible because of many other heavy particles, sullfides garnet, silver.

I'm not giving up on detectors. ATX with big coil giving immence depth, will try to search for secondary deposits up hills under stones with quartz veins with pyrate and garnet.

so far, found this interesting specimen, small piece of metal comes from this stone.

28hmp1h.jpg

cuchugold

Very nice nuggets. The vein seems close. Are you trying to locate it, and how?. I have a similar situation.

cosmetal

Supporting Member
"Recently I took my Minelab SDC 2300 to a location in Northern California which I hadn't visited in a couple years - even though its not hard to get to - because the last few times I'd been there it was a skunk."

Reno Chris,

I just found this thread thanks to Cuchugold's post. We're not too far from each other (+/- 150 mi.). My wife's grandson lives in Reno. Maybe the next time she wants to visit him, I could drop her off :twisted: and meet with you to discuss the important things like mining and refining! :D

James

Reno Chris

In the couple years since I posted this, I have pounded that spot to death. I spent a couple days prospecting up there this year and I dont think I got half a gram! There is such a thing as working a deposit out. I think what I found in 2014 was a spot that the old timers just missed. They worked all around it but left this spot alone. Now I've dug the heck out of the spot and will have to do more searching to find another good one.

I've still yet to really put in time looking for the source, but maybe next year.

hfywc

hi reno chris.

how do you go about metal detecting? where do you even start? how do you find these places? could you point us noob in the right direction?

thanks,
alan

Reno Chris

Its not something that can be explained in a paragraph. In fact I wrote an entire book about this and related subjects. Its called Fists Full of Gold, by Chris Ralph (me) and you can buy it on Amazon. Read the book and you will know all you need to know...