70 lbs monster hydrothermal gold Quartz specimen

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many runs can you do through the coffee maker?Are you only using the filter portion, or do you pour your solution into the coffee maker, let it heat and run like you are making coffee? Nice run of Gold. Was that from the 70 pound boulder from your previous post?

View attachment 52019
The solution after filtering before precipitation
Refilter through the same filter at least one more time. Each pass through the same filter fills up the pores and catches smaller and smaller particles.

But, it also will stress the coffee maker pump. Best to construct a proper vacuum setup.

I'm working on adapting an old vacuum cleaner motor assembly, with a stopcock valve to adjust the vacuum flow. The old vacuum was free, and I have all the parts lying around.

I just bought 2 Buchner funnels, which will help MASSIVELY when filtering, now that I'm doing larger volumes.

Refilter through the same filter at least one more time. Each pass through the same filter fills up the pores and catches smaller and smaller particles.

But, it also will stress the coffee maker pump. Best to construct a proper vacuum setup.

I'm working on adapting an old vacuum cleaner motor assembly, with a stopcock valve to adjust the vacuum flow. The old vacuum was free, and I have all the parts lying around.

I just bought 2 Buchner funnels, which will help MASSIVELY when filtering, now that I'm doing larger volumes.
I'm guessing he is only using the filter part.
No one should use the pump/heating part, at least if they want their Gold to stay in solution.
There is metal in there:rolleyes:

He would be better off with a big glass speed funnel, they don't require a vacuum, they filter at a reasonable speed, and they take a big (50 cm) filter paper folded into the cone.
74DB67CB-BB06-49E7-ABD3-EED873C0BEC7.jpeg105DAB6F-6B17-4B67-AFE1-6B000FFC2122.jpeg

I have a small funnel like that and it has seen a lot of use. I wish I had one the size 4metals posted, it would still be a great item to have on hand.

This is where to get this type of funnel.
the big one holds 1 liter

I was looking at pricing from this Canadian supplier and I checked out beakers. WOW. beakers

These prices for 4 and 5 & 10 liter beakers are excellent. Either I am in a time warp, the company went under years ago and didn't remove it's website or they will soon be receiving a bunch of orders from beaker refiners!

Last edited:
Coffee filters are designed to filter big coffee particles. They are very porous and many times badly manufactured with defects and very thin areas. It is the thing from need I know, but it kinda works for filtering bulk of ppt.

I abandoned using them very early on my refining ventures, even newspapers worked better, altough very slow.

Maybe you would be better to just let it settle and decant after one day. Assuming the ppt is silver chloride (from naturally occuring Ag in the gold), you can also do it in reverse - add conc. HCl to redissolve it and then drop the gold. Not the best practice, but it also kinda help.

When free acid is high, usually it is better to dissolve SMB than using powder, as it only tend to fizz out the SO2 on surface of the liquid, rather than really adsorbing it into the solution-wasting the acid you just purposefully added. Be aware of "boil-over" when doing this, SO2 does not have best solubility in water, so pour it slowly with good stirring.

We do not know your intentions with the gold, so hard to say if it is necessary for you to refine it. For me, 90% gold is sellable for practically same % than 999 gold... So maybe waste of time here.

We do not know your intentions with the gold, so hard to say if it is necessary for you to refine it. For me, 90% gold is sellable for practically same % than 999 gold... So maybe waste of time here.
Small hobby producers who tend to use coffee filters need to get the gold purity high enough to visibly be pure, as is seen when the freshly poured bar cleaves along the top surface exposing crystals below. This is not attained with coffee filter filtration but the need exists for knowing the purity sans XRF or other analytics not available to the hobbyist or home refiner.

The reason for this is they then know the gold is at least 999+ fine and they will not be subject to dishonest gold buyers XRF magic chopping off a few percent on the purity when they pay you.

This is where to get this type of funnel.
the big one holds 1 liter

I was looking at pricing from this Canadian supplier and I checked out beakers. WOW. beakers

These prices for 4 and 5 & 10 liter beakers are excellent. Either I am in a time warp, the company went under years ago and didn't remove it's website or they will soon be receiving a bunch of orders from beaker refiners!
Hello Thank you for the kind words, we are still in business and these are our current prices
If you have any questions, please give us a call at Cambridge Environmental Products Inc 1-800-535-3751 or [email protected]

Small hobby producers who tend to use coffee filters need to get the gold purity high enough to visibly be pure, as is seen when the freshly poured bar cleaves along the top surface exposing crystals below. This is not attained with coffee filter filtration but the need exists for knowing the purity sans XRF or other analytics not available to the hobbyist or home refiner.

The reason for this is they then know the gold is at least 999+ fine and they will not be subject to dishonest gold buyers XRF magic chopping off a few percent on the purity when they pay you.
Yeah, that is the right point. I do not have this issue since I always had access to XRF.

Maybe then the settling and decanting approach is more recommended then endless filtering through inefficient filters.

Time spent rinsing, (washing), settling and decanting will do a better job than filtering, even vacuum filtering. Unless you have pro grade equipment/filters.

For vacuum filtering I use an aquarium type of air pump with a hose connected to the air inlet on the pump. Works surprisingly well and cheap too.

Back