• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale 70g MLCC for $17.50

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just testing the waters on ebay with a tiny amount of mlccs.

It just got its first bid and will sell once the bid is over: 70g MLCC Monolithic Ceramic Scrap Capacitor Palladium Silver Recovery | eBay

If anyone wants to place a bid on this ebay listing, it's open for another 6 days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195437970609

Maybe I should throw these up on Ebay, at $20 for 70 grams that's over $1000... :) .

Just kidding... these are all magnetic MLCC's and I know they are kind of worthless. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I played on someone's hopes for $1000.

I'm about to trigger a few people here on the forum..... Yes, that Guinness is ice cold, I don't do warm beer....sorry.

KIMG3786.JPG

The magnetic ones are practically worthless.
No, they don't.

Since there is the rule "greed eats brain", there's a market for such material.

Some of the buyers may occur here afterwards, trying to match thier yields with their expectations (like our former friend mythen10).

It takes aeons to collect one kilo of MLCCs and separate them in two fractions (magnetic/non-magnetic) without any resistors and inductors.

As long the description is correct and honest ("magnetic type", "may contain minor traces of silver", "don't expect high yields"), I'm fine if someone is willing to pay a couple hundred bucks for a kilo.

Why should I dump this value?

No, they don't.

Since there is the rule "greed eats brain", there's a market for such material.

Some of the buyers may occur here afterwards, trying to match thier yields with their expectations (like our former friend mythen10).

It takes aeons to collect one kilo of MLCCs and separate them in two fractions (magnetic/non-magnetic) without any resistors and inductors.

As long the description is correct and honest ("magnetic type", "may contain minor traces of silver", "don't expect high yields"), I'm fine if someone is willing to pay a couple hundred bucks for a kilo.

Why should I dump this value?
Well in the world of today anything is worth what others are willing to pay.
Which in turn means useless scrap can be exceptionally expensive and rare high value items may be less priced than chips.

My reply was intended to be that magnetic MLCCs have no PMs of significance in it.

But since I was lazy i left it out.
And in the end that lazyness ended up beeing more labour intensive than doing i right the first time.

Maybe a lesson in there…
But I’m to lazy🤔🤓😎

Edit for spelling.

Last edited:
Maybe I should throw these up on Ebay, at $20 for 70 grams that's over $1000... :) .

Just kidding... these are all magnetic MLCC's and I know they are kind of worthless. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I played on someone's hopes for $1000.

I'm about to trigger a few people here on the forum..... Yes, that Guinness is ice cold, I don't do warm beer....sorry.

View attachment 52877
If they are worthless, then why do you keep them?

There are plenty of videos of folks recovering silver, and a tiny bit of PGMs from magnetic mlccs.

I do not want to rip people off. There are plenty of other listings that don't even specify what kind of mlccs they have, but there are buyers regardless.

There are plenty of videos of folks recovering silver, and a tiny bit of PGMs from magnetic mlccs.

I do not want to rip people off. There are plenty of other listings that don't even specify what kind of mlccs they have, but there are buyers regardless.

I collected them when I first started out scrapping (10 years ago) thinking they had more value then they do. Since I already did the work to collect them and they do have a little Ag I decided to keep them. Maybe one day IF the price for Ag goes way up then maybe they'll be worth processing.

When I strip boards now, I'll pull a couple MLCC's off the board and check with a magnet. If they are magnetic I won't bother with the others on the board.

My reply made no judgment on you....... I only said how I would feel about it, everyone's different.

Have you sub-sorted with a weaker magnet? I've posted a video showing that WEAKLY magnetic MLCCs still have some silver and palladium in them. There was actually a significant amount of silver in the tiny sample I tested (just a few grams of MLCCs in a test tube). Cleaned first with HCl, washed twice, then added nitric and let it sit a few days.

Added salt water and POOF, a wad of white silver chloride fell right out, leaving an orange-brown solution which tested quite strongly positive for palladium. It's too little a volume to quantify either the silver or palladium, but the silver chloride fills the entire cone of the bottom of the test tube, which is a very good amount for such a small sample of MLCCs.

Have you sub-sorted with a weaker magnet? I've posted a video showing that WEAKLY magnetic MLCCs still have some silver and palladium in them. There was actually a significant amount of silver in the tiny sample I tested (just a few grams of MLCCs in a test tube). Cleaned first with HCl, washed twice, then added nitric and let it sit a few days.

Added salt water and POOF, a wad of white silver chloride fell right out, leaving an orange-brown solution which tested quite strongly positive for palladium. It's too little a volume to quantify either the silver or palladium, but the silver chloride fills the entire cone of the bottom of the test tube, which is a very good amount for such a small sample of MLCCs.
Good to know…

I was personally just going to dump into a batch of melted copper to inquart the material, then plate the copper out, and save the slimes for later processing.

I also know that there are those that roast the MLCCs and run through a ball mill, before melting everything down to inquart with lead, to then refine via wet chemistry.

I do have a weaker magnet that I use. The kind of magnet someone would use to stick something to a refrigerator door. I still keep the one's that are just barely attracted to it.

It's totally okay if someone wants to keep the magnetic one's for the silver. I personally don't find it worth my time to collect them anymore... everyone is different.

I looked for you video but couldn't find it in your old posts, is it still available?

After reading my original reply I think it needs a clarification. Since my original post was public then I should make my clarification public.

You are correct, people buy and sell over priced goods on eBay every second of the day. The buyers may have full knowledge of what it's really worth but are welling to pay it... for many reasons.

In no way was I insinuating that you are a thief. Buyers are responsible for doing their own research.

I just know a good chunk (not all) of people buying e-waste on eBay have no idea what's really there. They being new to the refining world, all they notice in the descriptions is the loose terms "Gold, Pt, Pd or silver" and they think it's a deal. I just feel uncomfortable potentially selling to someone who doesn't fully understand. But again, Buyers are responsible for doing their own research.

.....That's just my personal view of things, nothing against you at all.

I do have a weaker magnet that I use. The kind of magnet someone would use to stick something to a refrigerator door. I still keep the one's that are just barely attracted to it.

It's totally okay if someone wants to keep the magnetic one's for the silver. I personally don't find it worth my time to collect them anymore... everyone is different.

I looked for you video but couldn't find it in your old posts, is it still available?
There are two short clips:

Remember to like and subscribe and hit that bell and put me in your will and donate the souls of your firstborn! ... No wait, that last one's only for Tiktok. ;D

Testing for silver:

Testing for palladium:

Remember to like and subscribe and hit that bell and put me in your will and donate the souls of your firstborn! ... No wait, that last one's only for Tiktok. ;D

Testing for silver:

Testing for palladium:

I have always used a HDD magnet to pick them up, everything that is picked up goes to the waste pile.
Of course they still are there so I might need to have another round with a weaker magnet.

Testing for silver:

Testing for palladium:

Hi Alondro,

In the first video at 0:44, it sounds to me as you dissolved the MLCCs in hydrochloric acid.
I guess, you cleaned them from tin/solder by using hydrochloric acid, washed in destilled water from remaining HCl and dissolved the metals in nitric acid (maybe after grinding). These steps got lost…

Your advice "don't touch the liquid" is ok, but you don't wear gloves and in the second video, you're defiling the test tube by placing the used pipette beside it (1:44).

But good informative videos anyway. Thanks!

Last edited:
Awesome video's, thanks.

I have only run extremely small tests on MLCC's in the past, which is what led me to no longer collect magnetic one's anymore. I do have a small stash of non/slightly magnetic one's, but haven't jumped into processing yet.

It's interesting to see that Hcl boils will break the sub-straight down...or at least on these type of MLCC's. I really didn't like the idea of trying to crush them to a powder. And I wasn't looking forward on spending money trying to engineer something to grind them up, because I'm sure this material would be extremely rough on anything that you build at home.

What was your source of nitric acid?

Awesome video's, thanks.

I have only run extremely small tests on MLCC's in the past, which is what led me to no longer collect magnetic one's anymore. I do have a small stash of non/slightly magnetic one's, but haven't jumped into processing yet.

It's interesting to see that Hcl boils will break the sub-straight down...or at least on these type of MLCC's. I really didn't like the idea of trying to crush them to a powder. And I wasn't looking forward on spending money trying to engineer something to grind them up, because I'm sure this material would be extremely rough on anything that you build at home.

What was your source of nitric acid?
Bought a liter of nitric on Ebay a couple years ago. I only use it for tests and high-purifying steps. All the bulk cleaning of base metals is done with HCl.

I know a company nearby that sells up to 4 gallons of nitric, but I'm not ready to use it in such volumes until I finish depopulating all the boards and have a good idea of how much I'll actually need, and it's pointless to store such a dangerous acid unused for a long time.

Not all of the ceramic breaks down. Only some of the MLCCs totally disintegrated. Those tended to be ones that were very brittle on the boards and had to be removed carefully or they simply shattered to bits. Those also likely had nickel electrodes, as it appeared the HCl dissolved them. I was watching exactly which ones reacted with HCl. The brittle ones turned bright white and then crumbled to powder after a little shaking.

Back