• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale 8.5 pounds scrap memory w/ gold fingers - SOLD!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flea markets are usually a local garage sale or similar where people clean out their shed/garage/basement
and sell to the locals or passers by for a cheap sum to get rid of it.
They are not online.
Thank you for the clarification, so cannot get into that arena.
But I got into a website that meant fleamapkets ... as it seems we should be experienced to buy this if not loss will kill the Novice.

That depends on a lot of factors.
What age is the ram sticks, how close are they cut (if cut)
And so on.
Clean cut fingers can have decent yields.
But then it is fingers alone.
Unless you are recovering from IC as well.
Gotta always recover from those ICs. I've found some chips with an astounding amount of gold per chip. Just breaking them open revealed a row of gold bond wires right down the middle of the underside. Those tend to be the chips that have tiny gold contact dots visible. Since the chips are so thin and lightweight, the gold per pound of those chips is rather high. I haven't gotten the yield per pound yet. I'm sorting and saving all those chips by themselves to process, and compare to the average chip yield of other sorted types and Eproms (and sorting the 'window-view' types from the solid-black... and the ceramic-glass vs epoxy/resin)... and can't forget the windowed group that have platinum bond wires instead of gold.

Hmm. I need to arrange these things and take some pictures to show the many types I've gotten.

Flea market buy 4pounds(~2kg) mixed stuff 2,5 pound of ram sticks, for 15 euro. Picture attached.
A couple of those CPUs are the ceramic ones. They can have pretty high yields, especially if they're Soviet bloc-made CPUs. The others will have some gold, mainly in the little legs on the underside (assuming they have legs). The ones with the big metal block on top are basically mostly a huge copper heat sink. Pop that off and see if the underside has gold plating. You can scrape it off with a sharp chisel. Also see if there's a thick, soft solder between the heat sink and chip. That is often indium, a somewhat valuable metal itself. From what I can find currently, indium's price per ounce looks about half of silver's. It sometimes pops up as high as a little over double silver's price per ounce.

Garage sale/yard sale is sales that would be held on a street or in a neighborhood yard A one family event or at times several families get together in order to attract a larger shopping crowd. Flea markets are larger scale and often more commercialized. Here in the Southeastern U.S. flea markets can have several 100 to a few thousand sellers located in a general area. Similar to open air markets.

Today is the last day of a large yard sale that covers several hundred miles across several states. Friday morning I bought 8 gold filled necklace chains totaling 24 grams and a bracelet at 7.2 grams that was all marked 1/10 14k for $1 each because they were broke, for a total of $6. The lady knocked off a couple dollars for "volume discount". A great deal, pay the lady and move on without much for close inspections. I found out the next day prepping some gold filled that the bracelet is 14K and not gold filled. Maybe next time I will feel like covering more ground.
Yep the 127 sale always has good stuff, but it gets real easy to spend a lot of money if you hit all four days.

Nice find.

There's a guy a bit north in Michigan, that has 140+ laptops for $200. There's also someone this way that we'd have to go over the specifics, but has lots of Jewelry/Karat gold. I'm being told "41 troy ounces of pure gold worth". It's all tagged, but it's multiple hundreds of pieces that would have to be checked and verified.

Edit added quotation marks*

Last edited:
mate which website is this flea market when I searched this too much came around unable to locate the exact site and deal have you bought it and the processors and 15 rams were worthy but not sure about other processors.
if you can provide information please share. seems a worthy deal.
This a held every sunday in a fixed place....very big market, everyone takes its stuff here and try to sell it, lots of people lots of stuff. If you want to buy stuff for good price, you don`ts search for it online.

This a held every sunday in a fixed place....very big market, everyone takes its stuff here and try to sell it, lots of people lots of stuff. If you want to buy stuff for good price, you don`ts search for it online.

But I got into a website that meant fleamapkets ... as it seems we should be experienced to buy this if not loss will kill the Novice.
On normal flea markets, you can count Saturday too. Treasure Aisles in Monroe Ohio for example, a decent size flea market. There are some small ones that if sought out, actually operate the whole week.

In California, they have something called the Rose Bowl Flea market, now that one is only held on the Second Sunday of every month. but it is massive. You could speed walk the whole day, and only visit every vendor once, and shortly, and still not see everything. There is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,500 vendors.

The guys I am buying stuff from, work at different scrapyards in a 50km region from my home town(meet them every sunday at the flea market), so they are collecting the stuff i have trained them to collect and i am paying them for this, by buying the stuff (fair price so i have a margin for profit). They always get me value for my money (rare ocasion they got me low grade stuff, but i still bought it to keep them going) so it is a win-win situation for everyone.
If you have the possibility to find people who work at scrapyards and just focus on 1 or 2 items (Rams and video cards, or Rams+CPU)), first in small batches until they get the hang of an extra income (after that they witt bring you volumes), maybe you could buy this stuff cheap and start to make profit and from then you can evolve your business.

When I started i have bought the stuff very expensive but that was the learning money invested well. Price you can only calculate after you have processed some of your stuff to see what the costs are for each started batch. (Time is the most expensive factor here)

Be safe

Pete.

The guys I am buying stuff from, work at different scrapyards in a 50km region from my home town(meet them every sunday at the flea market), so they are collecting the stuff i have trained them to collect and i am paying them for this, by buying the stuff (fair price so i have a margin for profit). They always get me value for my money (rare ocasion they got me low grade stuff, but i still bought it to keep them going) so it is a win-win situation for everyone.
If you have the possibility to find people who work at scrapyards and just focus on 1 or 2 items (Rams and video cards, or Rams+CPU)), first in small batches until they get the hang of an extra income (after that they witt bring you volumes), maybe you could buy this stuff cheap and start to make profit and from then you can evolve your business.

When I started i have bought the stuff very expensive but that was the learning money invested well. Price you can only calculate after you have processed some of your stuff to see what the costs are for each started batch. (Time is the most expensive factor here)

Be safe

Pete.
Thank you very much mate, you provided with a very valuable info to me, with scrap yard people.Will try this.
I too wasted too much of my time in searching round the globe but actively found 100's of scammers from every part of the world even on countries I trusted most in the world I found batches of scammers.

regards
swami nair

Eproms (and sorting the 'window-view' types from the solid-black... and the ceramic-glass vs epoxy/resin)... and can't forget the windowed group that have platinum bond wires instead of gold.
Per the bold print

The common (black) ceramic EPROMs with the window do NOT have platinum bond wires in them - the bond wires are aluminum

The same is true (aluminum bond wires) for ceramic PROMs which don't have the window

The E stands for erasable - the window is what allows for the programing in the chip to be erased by shining an ultraviolet light through the window

Bottom line when it comes to the ceramic EPROMs/PROMs is that the bonding wires are made of aluminum

The only PMs (Precious Metals) you will find in those ceramics is that some of them (but not all of them) will have a gold braze used under the silicon die to braze the die to the bottom part of the ceramic body - but that is NOT common

The epoxy PROMs on the other hand do have gold bond wires

White ceramic EPROMs/PROMs are another story - they have gold plated legs - gold braze to braze the window or metal cap on the chip cavity as well as gold braze under the die & gold bond wires (& even these can "sometimes" have aluminum wires)

If/when you see "silver looking" wires in a chip (including CPUs) more then likely they are aluminum

The exception to that "maybe" soviet made stuff where they "may" have used Pd/Pt for bond wires

Kurt

Per the bold print

The common (black) ceramic EPROMs with the window do NOT have platinum bond wires in them - the bond wires are aluminum

The same is true (aluminum bond wires) for ceramic PROMs which don't have the window

The E stands for erasable - the window is what allows for the programing in the chip to be erased by shining an ultraviolet light through the window

Bottom line when it comes to the ceramic EPROMs/PROMs is that the bonding wires are made of aluminum

The only PMs (Precious Metals) you will find in those ceramics is that some of them (but not all of them) will have a gold braze used under the silicon die to braze the die to the bottom part of the ceramic body - but that is NOT common

The epoxy PROMs on the other hand do have gold bond wires

White ceramic EPROMs/PROMs are another story - they have gold plated legs - gold braze to braze the window or metal cap on the chip cavity as well as gold braze under the die & gold bond wires (& even these can "sometimes" have aluminum wires)

If/when you see "silver looking" wires in a chip (including CPUs) more then likely they are aluminum

The exception to that "maybe" soviet made stuff where they "may" have used Pd/Pt for bond wires

Kurt
That must be the ceramic ones with the 'silver' I got and tested at once. The bond wires in a test group were untouched by HCl. The boards they were on did look strange, so being made in the Eastern Bloc would explain it.

I have a jar of other which might be the aluminum type, but the luster of the bond wires doesn't look right for Al. They look too 'steely'-colored. I've found components with absolutely Al bond wires, and it LOOKED like Al. Those in this one group are a much darker metal with a brilliant mirror finish. I have them separate and will test them when I've finished dismantling all the boards and process the known material. Still 5 full tubs of boards to break down!

I also have the gold bond wire ones (they're still on the boards in my ultra-high grade bin since those boards just overall have good stuff), and some with the gold braze, and the gold-legs and gold-top oldies. Got a pic of a few loose ones of those I have:

IMG_2409.JPG

Back