A Decade as a GRF Student: The Progress Report

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkspARCS

By Design Acquizitioners, LTD.
Supporting Member
Greetings fellow Refiners, Miners, Metallurgists and Mineral Enthusiasts!!

I go by the forum name DarkspARCS (A name that has spawned a rock band and was once known world wide as a dynamic interactive application sound design engineer...), but in the Real World Im known as Richard.

I have always been an enthusiast when it comes to beautiful gems and minerals...
20200813_180125.jpg
20200810_091438.jpg
I possess an Associates Degree in Applied Earth Sciences (San Joaquin Delta Jr. College) and understand geological processes from my education and experiences in the field...

I have been instrumental in some regards to topics related to hard rock mining, mineral identification, and mineral exploration. The long time membership here can attest to my contributions...

Nevada - The Silver State

Documented Gold Bearing Telluride/Oxide Ores

I am providing my current status in detail with regards my mining ventures and levels of understanding to provide my progress here on the GRF forums, out of curiosity naturally, since joining GRF til now, a Decade of effort. Here is my report...
FB_IMG_1592605489201.jpg
I joined the Gold Refiners Forum on December 11th, 2010. Back then I was financially secure, had a beautiful wife, a great car, a beautiful dog, a well paying job as a union electrical foreman building the project here in Las Vegas known as City Center, and a nice town house in a gated community. Not so much today as Ive lost all of those things, my wife having passed away from pancreatic cancer May 25th, 2012... Memorial Day of all days. I miss her with all of my heart.
FB_IMG_1581841892990.jpg
I had made a dream discovery back then, of a mine that possessed outrageous PM/ PGM values. I needed answers!
20200801_021738.jpg
This forum, and its members helped me achieve those answers and the quest was on to research and research and research lol... And research I did!

Today I possess over 40.2 gigabytes of quality reports, publications, and maps relating to MSHA Safety, USGS, DoI, WSGS, GSA, NMBG, AGS, Mine Company Tech Reports, Harvard/ Oxford/ Yale/ UNR/ UNLV/ UCLA Reports, Maps, Histories, Deposit types... I became well educated on these topics, for a very good reason: I live in Las Vegas.

This city is centrally located in Clark County, Nevada, and has around 20 well documented mining districts that produced a great deal of gold, pgm, and silver amongst other commodities such as R.E.E, Precious Gemstones, Manganese, Molybdenum, Lead, Copper, Tungsten, Titanium, Silica, Aluminum, Zinc, Nickel, Vanadium, Cobalt, Chromium, Aluminum, and Pole Dancers...

Oh, well this is Vegas after all... =)

Over the years while collecting documents on the geology, petrology, and mineralogy of the various types of ore deposits both locally as well as abroad I visited many of these other mining districts outside of the one I made my original discovery of to perform surveys within them to review the geology of the mines that made these districts what they are. I learned much as I made additional discoveries of rich deposits within these areas that were previously untouched.

~continued~

20200813_174905.jpg
I am currently involved with another individual who is a solid mining partner with knowledge and experience, who has brought to the table much needed mining equipment that is currently being set up to use for our ventures, which also suppliments that which I too have been involved with purchasing.
20200812_163645.jpg
20200813_173234.jpg20200813_173204.jpg20200813_173142.jpg

~continued~

I have no clue why these images are posting sideways please forgive the issue
20200813_173323.jpg20200813_173112.jpg20200812_163951.jpg20200810_094636.jpg20200810_094611.jpg

Uline shaker table, KK-6 assay furnace, propane torch (we also have an Ace/ Oxy torch set up), cone, impact, and jaw rock crushers and an ancient ore grinder, Black Scorpion Table, Gold Cube 4 tier portable sluice system, 2 BBQ Roasting Stations (one gas with 2 burners, one briquette based), 2 King Fans (one floor, one on a stand), two altered pottery kilns (both electric converted for gas - an air/gas mixture - one small sized the other a huge floor mount with all the fireclay plates and stands for multiple firings), an old action mining industrial shaker table, a propane weed burner (good for 45,000 b.t.u.s!! Really good item to have)

Yes, this is a back yard set up right here in a city...

Rock crusher noise is going to be silenced by (believe it or not) mattresses used to insulate one of the sheds shown.

Toxic fumes from firings and roasts are being captured via a make shift wet cotton towel filter (knyuk knyuk knyuk pretty ingenious) that sits atop a smoke stack system altered from the lid of a briquette BBQ.

About that rock grinder :shock:. Its a turn of the 20th century rock grinder that pulverizes ore to powder and it works absolutely great!
~continued~

20200812_163709.jpg

The first of our embedded stations. Concrete slab with two steel frames embedded within the slab. Metal frames make the station with heavy cotton blankets and sheets screwed into the frame, an LED light in the corner lights up the entire station. Next to that is the power ran from the house and terminated into a quadraplex outlet box secured to the metal frame.

One more pad to pour for the big Action Mining shaker table...

But mining precious metals isn't the only thing GRF has been instrumental in educating me with!
20200813_173119.jpg
Hydrometallurgy, and pyrometallurgy have become a big interest with me regards proper and SAFE formulation of chemicals, and the utensils involved such as cupels, crucibles, scorification dishes, lab equipment, proper P.P.E., and meters to test heat, ph, and electrical variables critical to those processes as they relate to metals.
20200813_173126.jpg
20200810_094528.jpg

I have gotten to a point to where I can now review the minerals I am working with at their micron levels with my new Konus Trinocular Ore Microscope, a critical component in mineral exploration!
20200810_090339.jpg

The Gold Refiner's Forum has provided a rich archive of experience, publications, safety procedure, and information related to alternative industries involved with precious metals such as jewelry waste refining, electronics scrap, and automotive scrap. I sometimes involve myself with the electronics scrap aspect of the industry when opportunities arise... Such as scrapping out these Lockheed L-1011 connector pins!
20200810_090831.jpg20200803_144025.jpg20200804_224617.jpg
=)

Along with this project, running in tandem with our mining projects, we are processing roughly 50 lbs. Of IC chips by using a similar process first published on the GRF forums by long time member Patnor, which incinerates the IC flat packs cut from computer and cell phone electronic boards to acquire the gold from inside of them. This is a project that is only days old so the process is in its early stages.
20200817_124824.jpg

GEOLOGY OF MY MINE

There are well over 12 different ore body types, which involve lenses, contact zones from tectonic activity and porphyry intrusives, as well as a fossil hydrothermal hot spring... All of which exist atop this one small mining claim!

From a supergene polymetallic replacement deposit that possesses over 24 different metals within its matrix, to supergene iron deposits, kaolin deposits possessing sperrylite cubes and veins, a huge copper lense that possesses beautiful azurite - malachite, an intrusive dike running parallel to the fault zone that possesses high values in gold, silver, and pgm, to the circular fossil hot spring that sits atop the hill that this mine is located within...

This location is a researcher's wet dream... And that is exactly how I exist with the lease ownership of this location!

~continued~

LEGAL PROCEDURES

From the very beginning, when I documented the mine I discovered and ultimately claimed, I had the unique privilege of having the Lead Geologist of the Las Vegas branch of the Bureau of Land Management, George Valharmi, take a personal interest in my discovery. His mentoring of the legal procedures and short cuts I had available to me with the claim process of this mine saved me a grip of hassle and red tape that could have tied this mine's operational abilities up for years. EPA studies, reclamation bonds, business plans... All were set aside (with conditions). I lease the location annually as a private artisinal mining "student" involved with research into the ores, geological processes, and petrology this particular location provides.
FB_IMG_1592657042362.jpgFB_IMG_1581840598228.jpgFB_IMG_1581840576662.jpgFB_IMG_1581840505687.jpg
NOTE ON XRF REPORTS:

Yeah, XRF reports aren't accurate but when the lab work is done and the metallurgy validates the numbers something went right...

It's one amazing find. The fact that this location had JUST been acquired by the B.L.M. the same year I came across it is amazing as well, as it was previously a patented location which patent was terminated when the mine's owner died in a heavy equipment accident the previous year.

This gave me an opportunity for research which waives the annual lease fee while granting me access to these minerals!!!

Pretty nice of Mr. Valharmi to accommodate me with that information...

FB_IMG_1581840659200.jpg

~continued~

One secret Mr. Valharmi provided regards mining case law opened my eyes up to opportunities you wont be told by most within the industry about, but the LEGAL PRECEDENT of this law is pressed on a daily basis in courtrooms nation wide.

I AM PROVIDING THIS INFORMATION AS IT WAS PRESENTED TO ME BY AN OFFICER OF THE BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT

Claim jumping was a well known problem back in the old sourdough days. It still is today in its raw form however.. There's a legal form of claim jumping that the big name corporations try to defend against regards all of their "reserve" locations that, if done right, will grant a LEGAL claim jumper the rights to a claim in dispute. I will share the formula for success with this opportunity now.

Every year a claim requires a fee payable to the BLM for the lease of a given property. Big corporations just love to scoop up prospects as claimed and provide big checks to cover those fees to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars annually. That's alot of claims!!...

The location my claim is located in looks like the lay out of massive trailer park lots when reviewing the county assayer's mylars. Same thing with the BLM mylars. Two big name corporations have laid claim to these massive expanses of land because there's values that have been verified under them via core drill samples. These corporations have leased these claims for decades and have just sat on them, profiling them as "reserves" on their glittery, full nonsense websites.

Most folks will think this is just plain nuts lol... But I did it acquiring a claim adjacent to my original claim and so far it has not been disputed! Macmalloran- Freeport used to own it!!

The secret to acquiring one of these "reserve" claims is simple. Just after September 1st (fee payment deadline) you take the pre-measured boundaries (proper details on that info should already have been done by you, along with erecting a physical monument that stakes the claim) of that claim and file your notice of location and monument location documents claiming it as yours ( both with the county assayers office and the BLM). During that "claim year" you "improve" the property (by all sorts of means. Mine was improving the road that leads to the claim as well as placing a visible operations billboard advertising the existence of the claim, its lease ownership, its mandatory MSHA safety requirements that must be met to enter upon those properties, an announcement of hazardous elements that exist on the property which advises critical precautions, and warns that it is an active construction zone, warning the public to stay away from hazardous underground entrances. (Nothing like scaring honest people keeping them honest lol). You then file property improvement reports with the BLM detailing these things for the record when you send in your claim fee waiver.

Im planning for next years improvement, which will require timber purchases and the fee of an MSHA engineer to verify the shoring engineering and provide MSHA mandated certifications of the mine's structural safety. ( that's a good one !)...

IF... By chance a former claim owner attempts to dispute your claim in court, it is critical that you have property improvement records on file with the BLM, or at the very least pictures and documentation of your improvements.

Existing case law mandates that in a claim ownership dispute it is the party that shows improvement upon any given property who will be granted the lease ownership by the court!

No matter how much money a big corporation has to fight you in court, they have nothing to show improvement..  And the claim is now yours...

So far Macmalloran-Freeport hasn't come knocking and Im going on three years this September with reclamation of my properties!

A move like this is not for the feint of heart. I made my stand for a property I demanded as mine when I first claimed it. When I lost the claim by having to go to federal prison for possession of a gun ( long story... But something every gold mine must be equiped with) I defaulted on the claim by no choice of my own. It was already scooped up by the other big name corporation in the area, ASARCO out of Mexico... Bah! That claim, and one formerly owned by Macmalloran - Freeport... Are today mine once again.

=)

FB_IMG_1592605497377.jpg20200727_050733.jpg
A lil tune, goes like this...

"This mine is my mine... This mine aint your mine... Cos I got a shot gun.... And you aint got one..."

JK...

I hope this presentation has allowed you, the reader, to understand the value the Gold Refining Forums have regards its free educating platforms and membership options.

I am eternally grateful for the forum creators and its original membership for all that they have provided, both those still alive as well as those who mournfully have passed away... Rest In pease compadres...

Harold V
Noxx
Laser Steve
GoldSilverPro
Patnor
Irons
Irons II
Patnor
Geo
Frugal Refiner
Richard "the Rock Man" Pickle
G. Axelsson
Lou
Butcher
4Metals
Lino
Reno Chris
Kurtak

Dedicated to Butcher. I hope you find this presentation helpful!

Best Regards!

DarkspARCS
25VictorVirVictoria.jpg.jpg

FB_IMG_1581840745433.jpgFB_IMG_1581840726070.jpg

This is for Harold V ...

This is a massive foundary slab from the Anaconda Mine located in Montana... Spillage, actual furnace floor, and saturated building foundation lol... 3 tons!
FB_IMG_1581838239962.jpg
It was acquired from there directly by Anthony C. Selig. His son Robert owns it now. I thought Harold would enjoy that... The slag has impressive secrets

FB_IMG_1581838346316.jpgFB_IMG_1581838357923.jpg

Richard, great progress report!

I am a past owner of six placer claims here in Nor Cal. I admire your tenacity at going after the "big boys". I, too, had to fight both FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) and a company they granted a permit for a hydroelectric plant on one of my claims who, then, turned around and locked me out of access to my pre-existing claim.

The company thought I would just fade away because of the cost to fight them in court. However, they weren't prepared when, instead of taking them to a civil court, I filed a pro per case (propria persona -"for oneself") in the federal administrative law court against both FERC and the company as co-conspirators who were denying me access to my claims. At that time, by going through the federal administrative law courts, the only costs I had was my time to learn how to do it, the cost of certified mailing and the cost of the paper I printed my complaint on. I won a favorable decision and they had to provide me with a key to the gate. :D :lol: :D

Keep the spirit always!

Peace and health,
James

Nice thread, and what a great progress report!

I like all of the pictures, and the links to information of other helpful threads are also a nice addition, thank you for providing us with this informational and helpful thread.

I can't wait for this thread to be continued, it is like waiting for the next episode of Gunsmoke or Bonanza to learn more of the struggles of mining out west...

Keep up the good fight and work.
Thanks you for sharing your adventure.

Richard --- thanks for the AWESOME report :G

I especially want to thank you for "crediting" the GRF members (list of names) that contribute(d) information here showing that it has been the dedication of members sharing information here that has helped you achieve the point of posting this report

I see you posted my name on that list - & all I can say to that is that if I in anyway helped to contribute to your success it is only because of all the other names on that list that has allowed me to help others - including you

It makes my heart feel good that the MANY hours members here have dedicated to contributing the sharing of information here has not gone in vain (& the list of names is even bigger then you posted - & I understand its hard to think/list them all - as there has been so many that have contributed) --- (can't really list them all - can we) :shock: :mrgreen:

This forum really is THE MOST AWESOME --- when I think of the "TRUE" friends I have in my 63 years of life MANY of them have come from my being a member of this forum

Being a member of this forum has served me well over the years - with the friendships being worth far more then all the gold/silver/PGMs I have refined over those years

So I am glad to hear that your own membership has served you well also - & may it continue to serve you well into your future :!:

Thanks for sharing :!:

Kurt

cosmetal said:
Richard, great progress report!

I am a past owner of six placer claims here in Nor Cal. I admire your tenacity at going after the "big boys". I, too, had to fight both FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) and a company they granted a permit for a hydroelectric plant on one of my claims who, then, turned around and locked me out of access to my pre-existing claim.

The company thought I would just fade away because of the cost to fight them in court. However, they weren't prepared when, instead of taking them to a civil court, I filed a pro per case (propria persona -"for oneself") in the federal administrative law court against both FERC and the company as co-conspirators who were denying me access to my claims. At that time, by going through the federal administrative law courts, the only costs I had was my time to learn how to do it, the cost of certified mailing and the cost of the paper I printed my complaint on. I won a favorable decision and they had to provide me with a key to the gate. :D :lol: :D

Keep the spirit always!

Peace and health,
James

Ah Haa!!! EXCELLENT JOB James! I find it refreshing to know that there are other mining enthusiasts out there who aren't afraid of big money extortionists when it comes to defending an economic opportunity that enriches their livelyhood...

True story...

Back in 2011 I and another gentleman were on this property in the wee hours of the morning performing fieldwork on the property just south of the one I featured here that was available. One of the property owners up the mountain from mine came out and demanded who we were (the man knew me but didn't check his phone messages lol...I'd called him that night to let him know Id be out there). Well the man I was with is a Fmr. Navy Officer who didn't put up with anyone's B.S. and the two of them had a brief shouting match from 200 ft away from each other... One demanding to know who the hell we were, and the other yelling back demanding who the hell wants to know (lmao!!)...

Needless to say My eyes rolled up into my head and I dropped my rock samples and walked about 40 ft. From the dude and promptly laid down in some tall grass, waiting for the property owner to start shooting (in gold country, out and away from civilization, the wild, wild west sometimes still exists lol!). Scott got back in his truck instead and drove on down and away from our location, me thinking he heard me when I yelled out to him who I was and asked him to check his phone messages.

He didn't hear me lol. Instead he drove away pissed and exercised a calmer method of protective action (Scott thought we were on his property!) By calling in LVMPD, who arrived three trucks deep and placed the two of us in handcuffs. I had brought my paperwork, which they were reviewing on the hood of their truck when Scott rolled up behind them and got out and walked up to us. He saw me and told the police sargent in charge he knew me and it was all ok and the police took us out of the cuffs ... We all sat there chatting for about an hour, disclosing our intent there and explaining why we were out there at night doing the field work... In 112° weather during the day you're not going to get much accomplished lol!

I secured an opportunity that night from Scott to come up to his house for coffee (just up the road) where he then invited us to survey his property (which had an impressive past producing mine that possessed 6 miles of underground tunnels that spanned three conjoined mountains!). Needless to say I took him up on his offer and discovered a rich Auriferous Argentoferous Galena deposit near the mine's 700' level (12th branch tunnel down from the Secondary shaft house located within the 2nd mountain lol).

Before we departed from the LVMPD that morning the Sargent handed me his business card and made a statement to me that I had never before heard from another person. He said," I just want to take this opportunity to state that it's encouraging to me to stand here with a man who isn't letting society dictate terms to him, but instead is out here during unconventional hours working hard to secure for himself a piece of the American Dream." With that he shook my hand and told me to call him if Im in need of assistance.

I thought that that was absolutely one of life's accomplished moments... 😎
FB_IMG_1581841565375.jpg

butcher said:
Nice thread, and what a great progress report!

I like all of the pictures, and the links to information of other helpful threads are also a nice addition, thank you for providing us with this informational and helpful thread.

I can't wait for this thread to be continued, it is like waiting for the next episode of Gunsmoke or Bonanza to learn more of the struggles of mining out west...

Keep up the good fight and work.
Thanks you for sharing your adventure.

Lol I wish that we lived during those wild west times right now... You know that with my sniffer Id have discovered some of those "BONANZA" gold strikes!!!

I thought your request for info was a good one in that I'd not seen any threads here properly disclosing a genuine appreciation for the rocket scientists on here with rockets of gold who sit there telling everyone that they can build a golden rocket ship too... (just cant seem to envision Harold with that one... Maybe a Mother Ship lol!)

Indeed there is a larger amount of information that I will be providing soon within the prospecting section or maybe even (more applicable) the Library, disclosing several document archive sites I have encountered that possess downloadable textbooks (many of which cost upwards of $50 to $300 on the cutting edge organizational and academic sites such as Wiley, Research Gate, Department of the Interior, Arizona Geological Survey, United States Geological Survey, Nevada Bureau of Mines, Tand, Elsevier, Harvard, UNR, UCLA, etc.) that are free!...

Yeah... @ 40.2 gigabytes, my Sciences archive encompasses my Mining archive and covers topics such as Mine Engineering, Chemistry of Minerals, Ore Bodies, Metals, existing Patents on Hydro Metallurgy and Pyro Metallurgy, Precious Metals Refining, Refractory, Supergene, and Hypogene Ores and their Mechanics and Formations, Economic Geology, Mineral Exploration Techniques and Practices, Applied Field Survey Approaches, Geologic Structures ( Sills, Intrusives, Dikes, Sheer Zones, Contact Zones, etc.) Inherent to Precious Metal Deposits, MSHA Safety, Explosives and Chemical Safety, Practices, and Legalities, Bureau of Land Management Publications, Environmental Protection Agency Publications, National Park and Department of Forestry Publications, Astro Geology, Corporate Technical Reports on various Mining Ventures (THOSE ARE THE BEST!!! Lol, they supply the proprietary assay reports and petrology of their perspective ventures!), Ore Body Formations and Deposits from around the world (I advise the practical mining researcher seeking to make undiscovered discoveries of rich ore deposits - like I do, and have found amazing success in my discoveries because of it - not previously recognized by long time prospectors surveying old mining districts to review these other discoveries as what's good somewhere else will be good in your back yard too!), AND MORE!...

Between my working hours I plan on drafting the links and their descriptions into a publishable document that I am certain those involved with mining here within these GRF forums with absolutely appreciate.

Bon Chance!
3f369c6e961384095efd3954cdd171d8.jpg

kurtak said:
Richard --- thanks for the AWESOME report :G

I especially want to thank you for "crediting" the GRF members (list of names) that contribute(d) information here showing that it has been the dedication of members sharing information here that has helped you achieve the point of posting this report

I see you posted my name on that list - & all I can say to that is that if I in anyway helped to contribute to your success it is only because of all the other names on that list that has allowed me to help others - including you

It makes my heart feel good that the MANY hours members here have dedicated to contributing the sharing of information here has not gone in vain (& the list of names is even bigger then you posted - & I understand its hard to think/list them all - as there has been so many that have contributed) --- (can't really list them all - can we) :shock: :mrgreen:

This forum really is THE MOST AWESOME --- when I think of the "TRUE" friends I have in my 63 years of life MANY of them have come from my being a member of this forum

Being a member of this forum has served me well over the years - with the friendships being worth far more then all the gold/silver/PGMs I have refined over those years

So I am glad to hear that your own membership has served you well also - & may it continue to serve you well into your future :!:

Thanks for sharing :!:

Kurt

Greetings Kurt!

You and I haven't interacted much but I have benefited from your experience all the same lol. I haven't reviewed your profile to verify this but I am going to assume that the "AK" at the end of your name represents the great state of Alaska.

(EDIT: LOL OK!... I looked... You don't live in Alaska.

:mrgreen:

Were you born there? Oregon has its own unique Cascade atmosphere that Ive come to love as well. John Day is right in the heart of some very rich mining territory...

Im gonna keep this post on Alaska up though lmao, maybe suppliment it with some Oregon references)

Oh how jealous can a person get about someone living in Alaska?! I absolutely love Alaska! There is so much mineral wealth up there that has been discovered I wish I were young again and then take that opportunity by the horns and move to Alaska. I have two uncles who live(d) there, one in Anchorage (deceased) and the other in Chugiak. They're both gold enthusiasts, my Uncle Doug having been a school teacher with his wife at West High School and who had a 24' Bay Liner moored at Seaward that we'd go out deep sea fishing, crabbing, and shrimping with and a 3" gold dredge he'd haul over to the Matanuska Valley and grab up 32 lb. Cabbages with...

JK about the cabbages lol. That location is dynamic when it comes to the legendary vegetables grown there.. Cabbages with leaves hanging over the sides of pickup trucks, pumpkins you can carve into dog houses... WOW!

:shock:

He did great there on the river there back in the day (mid 70's through early 90's) with that 3" dredge ... Having pulled close to 48 lbs of quality Alaskan 24k gold nuggets from there, some of which he had made into jewelry for Grandma.

Indeed there are others on this forum who I can attribute my knowledge toward who have shared their methods and experience which helped me understand new and/ or existing applications involving precious metals recovery. If I listed them all Noxx would probably ask me why the book lol!!..

GRF has indeed provided the best when it comes to knowledgable, experienced industry professions seeking to assist the small time enthusiast or fledgling metallurgist succeed with their ventures.

I am indeed amongst giants! However modest they be lol! I look forward to one day talking about your experiences there in Alaska!

Cheers!alaska-gettyimages-547106030.jpg

I LOVE seeing people overcome adversity! I to have followed your story brother. I congratulate you for having the strength, determination, and for lack of a better word the just shear willpower it has taken you to overcome!
God speed!

Palladium said:
I LOVE seeing people overcome adversity! I to have followed your story brother. I congratulate you for having the strength, determination, and for lack of a better word the just shear willpower it has taken you to overcome!
God speed!

Thanks Palladium, you certaintly have followed my march towards this moment!

Its an amazing thing to think back at all my preparation for a future in mining and metallurgy and then realize Ive mastered some of the requirements enough to start producing gold...

Right when the pandemic hit and I end up losing my well paying job.

Providence...

20201029_204032.jpg

Back