Abrasive Mill

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An AP leach will be fast on this kind of powdered copper, making the Gold and possibly Silver accessible for a more targeted smelt or leach.
I would personally dissolve this in straight AR and test with stannous. If it is some kind of concentrate, it should show nice black positive. If it fail to make black positive stannous I wouldn´t mess with this anymore.
Any kind of digestion, either in AP or straight nitric would most probably produce ultrafine gold sludge (if gold is there) which would be harder to process and separate via decantation - as I think that in that small concentrations, it would pass filter papers easy :)

I now have copper sulfate, filtered out, tin sulfate removed after it was dissolved in hot distilled water.

The filtrate left is a very nice chocolate brown with silver sulfate.

I'm going to incinerate the filtrate, my thoughts are that heat will decompose the silver sulfate into metallic silver.

I've added scrap iron for the next incineration.

Last edited:
The mud waiting for incineration, the scrap iron has some redox taking place - silver looking material.

Could be silver or possibly palladium.

scrap.jpg

The color of the mud after the hot oil of vitriol treatment.

Top image before treatment.

copper.jpeg

mud.jpg

Last edited:
Not to be too nitpicky, but gr. usually stands for grains, gms. stands for grams.
Good catch goldshark.

Scale uses the ( g ) symbol for grams, the scale has been weight tested at its current elevation and recommended ambient temperature and with a pair of 500 g test weights.

This evening with a room temperature of 55 °F the scale is off by half a gram.

Decent scales shipped from the factory are calibrated for sea level. I'm 1,875 ft above.

Last edited:
Tin an interesting metal / oxide, have plenty to experiment with.

Tin (IV) oxide is amphoteric in nature. It reacts with acid as well as with base. It reacts with strong acids and forms tin (IV) salts as a product.

Tin (IV) oxide acts as a reducing agent as in this compound tin is in its highest oxidation state.

The abrasive mill worked fine but with filtering and the additional cost of acids,make it impracticable.

However I did recover a crap load of silver along with some gold and palladium.

In my oppinion the ball mill and centrifuge are the best tools for this job.

Back