Absorbing chlorine in water with light

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMG

Has anyone heard of using UV light to increase the absorbtion of chlorine in water?
I researched it enough that I'm going to set up a little test. For now I'm just going to use a carbon electrode and a modified mercury vapor light source.
Apparently this should make chlorine absorb into water a lot better, and even possibly produce some ozone - which in water should be peroxide.
It makes the equation Cl2 + H2O -> 2HCl + .5 O2 more favorable. The uv makes the HOCL that would have formed become HCl and O2 instead.
If the frequency of the uv is high enough it will convert some of that O2 to O3.
I calculated it would take about 17 cents worth of electricity (3kWh) to make a gallon of 10M HCl. The only problem is the amperage that needs to be used to produce it in a reasonable amount of time.

So I'm wondering if anyone has done any experiments along this line, or can back up any of this information.

Well I think the UV is working. I did a small test bubbling chlorine into slightly acidic water with some black sands in the bottom of the container. The most color I could get without UV was a pale green-yellow color, and with UV the liquid has darkened slightly to the more familiar saturated yellow color if iron chloride. I only did the test for a short amount of time but it seems to work. I will let the liquid stand now for a while to see if it stays the richer yellow or changes back to the duller green-yellow.
I'm pretty sure it was making ozone too. The air coming out of the exhaust vent smelt like febreeze. lol
Other things that happened (after the test was over):
When I stirred up the black sands, quite a bit of gas bubbled up and it didn't smell of chlorine. (It could have been oxygen)
As well, the carbon electrode fizzes while sitting in the liquid long after the power has been turned off. (It's got to be some reaction with the carbon)
I'll keep posting my progress.

Back