Advice for a beginner on silver refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a member that was using copper sulfate to strip silver from flatware and it cemented out just like silver nitrate. Macodos? Maybe or something similar. He had pictures of the cell. It looked very interesting.

I use a copper sulfate in a cell as the electrolyte with plated silver plated copper anode material bagged in a old sock, the silver is recovered during the process, although my main goal is collecting the cathode copper.

Silver sulfate salts are fairly insoluble, the silver is not attacked at the anode as much as the copper.

Some of the heavier silver does not dissolve and remains with anode sludge in the sock with undissolved metals and their salts, some silver does go into the electrolyte solution which is recovered later by utilizing crystallization of the copper sulfate solution (saving the pure copper sulfate salts for reuse).

Thank you, taking notes here, I will keep researching to get to the process that I am able to replicate.

Back