Advice request about approaching local jewelers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elemental

Supporting Member
I am looking to expand my refining from just fine silver to include gold and PGM's next. I want to approach the local jewelers in my area to ask about sweeps and clippings but I have no idea what to expect for a response. Does anyone have experience actually getting their raw refining materials from jewelers anymore? If so, what is the process like? Do you go once a month or quarter? How much do you pay for the sweeps? My first thought is that most of these jewelers already have a refiner they work with and it will be difficult to gain access to their material. Any advice would help. I'll keep poking around in the forum for more information as well. Thanks.

Elemental

I'll follow-up on this thread with what my experience is like as well, once I start calling/visiting the jewelers.

Many of the jewelers I know have a local refiner they use, or they send to Stuller or Rio for the material discounts and low fees. I personally refine my material down as best I can and send it to Stuller for account credit, they take <1% as a fee because of the relatively high purity and I get credit to buy the specific alloys I need at wholesale prices.

Back