Any PMs in this?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjavanb123

Hi everyone

My old client sent me these pictures and wanted to know if it has any precious metals. Thanks in advance.

IMG-20220122-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220122-WA0005.jpg

Best regards
KJ

I can't say for sure, it is a high voltage resistor.
If I would guess I'd say no.
Some copper alloy.
Maybe the SulfurHexaFluoride gas is more worth than the inside?
Cool thing though.

Thanks. It is high voltage resistor and I also advised my client to look further into the white box to see if anything of value may be found.

Just make him be careful, if it is intact it has 6 bars of SF6 gas, in it.
80 liters according to the specs posted.

They might demand it back for that very reason.
I think the prows out weigh the cons.
It would take a very well-equipped lab to positively identify the material used in all components.
Stop thinking about the value and start thinking about the dangers.
Consumer grad equipment tends to be fairly safe on the whole to dismantle, bar exceptions like microwave transducers.
You can forget that with industrial and military equipment, they can use alls sorts of very toxic components to facilitate their function.
At least ask for a hazard sheet.

Please, if intact, do not vent the SF6 to the atmosphere. It is 23,000 times more potent greenhouse gas than CO2. There is 80 L of it at 6 bars. Awful lot of it. It is also very dense, intoxicating gas. Breathing it could cause severe anaesthetic effects. And quite expensive stuff, as it was said. Maybe the value of the gas will be higher than value of metals contained.
In my opinion not worth to scrap due to risks and harms. Never heard of resistors, which contain precious metals other then silver.
Maybe some copper inside, but mostly I think some Ni-Cr thick resistor wire or something similar.

Great advice as always thanks all I report these back to my client. Seems he should walk away.

Latest posts

Back