• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Anyone have large cast iron conical slag molds to sell?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep!!

But then again, I never valued the time it took to go cut, glue up and Bondo a pattern. Or how long I had to wait to get the call to go pour.

Before I ever came to GRF, my idea of fun was doing one offs in sand casting. You end up meeting some like minded people who are well set up in the industry and every now and then the guy who owns the place says they will do you a solid and pour yours while they’re pouring someone else’s.

Now when you need ten or so slag pots and you need them yesterday, you’re going to pay up!

Yep!!

But then again, I never valued the time it took to go cut, glue up and Bondo a pattern. Or how long I had to wait to get the call to go pour.

Before I ever came to GRF, my idea of fun was doing one offs in sand casting. You end up meeting some like minded people who are well set up in the industry and every now and then the guy who owns the place says they will do you a solid and pour yours while they’re pouring someone else’s.

Now when you need ten or so slag pots and you need them yesterday, you’re going to pay up!
I love Bondo and glazing putty, with all the different RTV's available making a copy pattern from an original would be easy.

With RTV you would not have to worry about draft as someone else already engineered it into the original.

I'll be using a RTV two part silicon from Smooth-On to make a negative of this eagle. Which will be my pattern to electrotype a copy in copper.

Plenty of youtube video's on mold making with RTV's., I would use a more flexible product for the outside then one with a harder shore rating for the foundry pattern.

Affix two or more patterns with runners, accept the completed foundry product with everything still attached. A zip cut will detach the items and save you $$$.

Old Abe.jpg

I have no idea how to PM, sorry. I will do as many have recommended and try to find someone near me. I appreciate your response.
Go to the envelope on the upper right hand side of screen, right next to your forum name ( right side ), click on envelope, when it opens, enter name of person(s) you wish to address. Enter a subject on the subject line. Scroll done to messaging area, type info, hit send, or whatever it says to send it. You can include all, or one person only, with the box selection check. Hope this helps

I love Bondo and glazing putty, with all the different RTV's available making a copy pattern from an original would be easy.

With RTV you would not have to worry about draft as someone else already engineered it into the original.

I'll be using a RTV two part silicon from Smooth-On to make a negative of this eagle. Which will be my pattern to electrotype a copy in copper.

Plenty of youtube video's on mold making with RTV's., I would use a more flexible product for the outside then one with a harder shore rating for the foundry pattern.

Affix two or more patterns with runners, accept the completed foundry product with everything still attached. A zip cut will detach the items and save you $$$.

View attachment 54394
How much bigger does the pattern have to be, to allow for shrinkage upon cooling?

I am looking for large cast iron conical slag molds.

I ordered two from Legend that look like this:

Legend Inc. Sparks, Nevada USA

I ordered them last month, after I paid I received an email that said they were back ordered, and wouldn't be in until the beginning of March. So I called this morning to ask where the molds were, and why I have yet to receive them. The woman who took my call told me they wouldn't have them until the end of this month. So I complained, naturally, that's 6 weeks from the time I ordered, I could have ordered something from China, she told me that if it were her who told me when I was going to receive the mold, she would have told me April.

I understand they are back ordered, but 6 weeks is too long, two moths is ever worse, and now she's telling me that it could be April?

I want to cancel my order now, but I fear I'm not going to be able to get them somewhere else for that price. The cheapest I have seen them is $249 on ebay, Action Mining has them for less, but they get them from the same place and they are out also.

So my question is this, does anyone have any large cast iron slag molds they would be willing to part with? And if so, could you message me with details please? I have a customer I need to process material for, and need a slag mold like this to do so.

Thank you in advance

Scott
I found some from Global Source.com . They are nice, with dollies, for $650 each, minimum 5 units. I don't know how much you are looking to process, but these would handle most applications. They are 30 days out also, so probably doesn't help much.

How much bigger does the pattern have to be, to allow for shrinkage upon cooling?
Good question, you are correct a copy made from an original will be slightly smaller.

A first generation copy pattern for something like the conical slag mold would be insignificant.

At one time I was purchasing fishing and scuba weight molds, using them as direct patterns - cast in aluminum.

Some of the molds I was buying were found to be copys which had been poorly cast, thus my love affair with Bondo and glazing putty.

Have not done any metal casting for at least 8 years, but now have a dual station 15 KVA induction furnace and would like to get back into the hobby casting smaller items from Stainless steel and Brass.

Good old Google, most cast irons vary from.75 to almost 3%. I want to make a pattern for my jaw crusher plates. Manganese is a 2.6% shrinkage rate.
I once dismantled a ball mill used to pulverize limestone, 2.5 tons of balls that the scrap yard refused to purchase because they were non magnetic and could not be handled by the yard magnet.

The balls were made from Ni-hard.

Ni-Hard, a white iron containing 4 to 5 percent nickel and up to 1.5 percent chromium, is used to make metalworking rolls. Irons in the Ni-Resist range, which contain 14 to 25 percent nickel, are nonmagnetic and have good heat and corrosion resistance.

For over half a century, Ni-Hard has been the number one choice for industrial processes demanding extreme abrasion resistance. Its well proven, low-cost characteristics have seen it used in the mining, power, cement, ceramic, paint, dredging, coal-coke, steel and foundry industries.

Search smelting mold on ebay 6" x " 6 inches $85 plus shipping other sizes available
Just wanted to let y’all know I did as Southfork recommended and we got it delivered today via UPS! We are excited! Cost just under $100 with shipping and tax.

Attachments

• 68EA0C9E-6A9E-4ADB-8F67-E48529B42AFE.jpeg
    68EA0C9E-6A9E-4ADB-8F67-E48529B42AFE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 5DC16D45-1358-4890-8139-A72EE4126A77.jpeg
    5DC16D45-1358-4890-8139-A72EE4126A77.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 7D973A01-DE5A-4281-A301-53506BE85DD8.jpeg
    7D973A01-DE5A-4281-A301-53506BE85DD8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Just wanted to let y’all know I did as Southfork recommended and we got it delivered today via UPS! We are excited! Cost just under $100 with shipping and tax.
I hope they work well, but to me that steel seem a bit thin.
Let us know how they work out.

Back