Assaying Karat GOLD 8K > 18K and FINE GOLD

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try lowering the temp to 950 C and adding 2.5 silver. If the sample falls apart on rolling after cupellation, did it fall apart or split apart like thisIMG00027-20110126-1019.JPGwhen you rolled it before assaying? I would add 4 or 5 times the sample weight of lead as 3 times is probably not enough.

Is there any kind of accurate weight for foil lead for sample wait or not ? someome told me should take 3 part foil lead. means to saying is if sample is .250 then foil lead should be .250*3=750 and silver should be 2 part of ur sample weight .250*2=500 to not breaking for sample. is this ration is currect ? i try this method but still it break up .

What is the material you are assaying?

I assay karat gold using a sample size of 0.5 grams and I cupel them in 15 gram lead boats. As long as the cupel is large enough to absorb the weight of lead you are using the cupellation will continue absorbing the lead and base metals into the cupel.

Are you annealing the beads before rolling them?

4metals said:
What is the material you are assaying?

I assay karat gold using a sample size of 0.5 grams and I cupel them in 15 gram lead boats. As long as the cupel is large enough to absorb the weight of lead yo
u are using the cupellation will continue absorbing the lead and base metals into the cupel.

Are you annealing the beads before rolling them?

salam
yes i annealing bead before rolling . how much gold, silver and foil i should use for not breaking gold ? less quality plz

Hi
In the procedure its use .250 mg sample and .320 pure silver.Now in day silver is quite expensive could i use .125 mg gold and .160 pure silver for 18 karat and pure gold to not breaking my gold. If .250 for accurate weight then i have 6 decimal scal. And also if i set my furance temp to 960 c how much time does it take to melt samples ? I tried 1100c its take 5 to 10 mints but sample sometimes spark . Now what should i do ? waiting for reply.

The reason to add small amount of copper to sample to be cupelled is that lead (oxide) is absorbed by the cupel before copper (oxide) so when cupellation is complete there may be small amounts of copper in the button but no lead.

The reason you don't want lead in the button is that it causes cracking when rolling out the bead (If the button cracks enough, you may lose sample). Copper does not.

Finally, someone asked if the gold is pure after the assay process. Almost always not. There will be some silver retained depending on how well the process is carried out it can range between 0.1% to 1% of the final weight. For most accurate results follow goldsilverpro's suggestion of running a proof sample for correction purposes. The closer the proof sample is in composition or gold content to the sample, the more accurate the correction.

as it should be the analysis of golden gold, for low grades and how to avoid the contamination of personnel with lead

I really appreciate having access to this discussion and all the others here on this forum.

It is many lifetimes of practical experience that simply would not be available in any other way.

Thanks to all who have commented.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

No one knows how to avoid contamination of leaded personnel, apart from the use of extractors and masks, what more safety measures can be taken?

Back