Assessing placer gold puity

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is fine granules it's probably just best to melt it and pull a sample, then fire assay.

Gold in native nugget form is worth more than its gold content spot price generally.

Oz, that may be true if the nuggets are fairly large. If they are just fines and particulate placer gold, there is probably little additional value. Considering the quantity, it would probably be difficult to sell it all in one shot above spot.

My intent was not to disagree with your statement on “fines” as I agree with it. But I did wish to point out that “nuggets” in excess of ¼” or so were worth more in their native form than gold spot price despite their lack of purity. I would not want to see value destroyed by refining such pieces if they had them.

Thank you Oz and Lou.

There are nuggets bigger than 1/4" I will sell on ebay instead of processing. I guess I will use my mizar gold tester on the nuggets to get purity so my ad in ebay doesn't get me in trouble. I had no idea nuggets where worth more in natural form.

Good thing Oz mentioned something!

The bigger the nugget, the more percent over spot it will be (some large nuggets are several times spot price).

Latest posts

Back