At a loss

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like you've gotten everything sorted out and quite nicely I might add! But to me that mustard colored substance looks a lot like copper chloride 1. If you take some copper chloride 2 and rinse and decant the water multiple times you will see it convert to copper chloride 1 and that same color right before your eyes....pretty cool albeit simple reaction....though I could be wrong on that identification.

It looks like you've gotten everything sorted out and quite nicely I might add! But to me that mustard colored substance looks a lot like copper chloride 1. If you take some copper chloride 2 and rinse and decant the water multiple times you will see it convert to copper chloride 1 and that same color right before your eyes....pretty cool albeit simple reaction....though I could be wrong on that identification.
When I zoomed in it looked like clean foils.

If it's only a tiny bit of tin paste, I would go straight for AR. Don't bother roasting, and leaching with HCl.
After spraying the filter wet to rinse, test each last drop of solution coming out of the filter with stannous to see if it rinsed clean enough.

I do
I do have another question though, after aqua Regia n after I filter it, before SMB should I use urea to neutralize any remaining acid?

I do

I do have another question though, after aqua Regia n after I filter it, before SMB should I use urea to neutralize any remaining acid?
Please keep away from slang.

How do you prepare your AR?
No problem with a small excess of Nitric, the Gold will drop and redissolve until the Nitric is spent.
This gies for small excess only.

Well I risked not using urea or anything n sued SMB n all I got was a lot of bubbles, so I figured what the hell I’ll throw urea in it also n got lots of bubbles n heat. I guess it was all for nothing. I’m very weary abt asking anything on this forum cuz I see how so many prima donnas on here degrade n ridicule ppl that don’t know how n get condescending remarks made to them for not knowing. If someone didn’t know how to build an engine or recharge or overhaul automotive air conditioning n asked me I would surely tell them. I don’t take criticism well at all when I just want to know abt something? That’s how u find out is by asking? So in the end I don’t ask enough or the rt questions from the start so now I have 500 mls of piss colored liquid that’s no gd to me or for anything bt the garbage

3:1 HCl HNO3
The frugal method, which reduces excess nitric to near zero, is to cover the material to be dissolved with HCl, then add nitric in small increments until dissolved. If, after a time, added nitric causes no reaction, add a little more HCl. Premixed Aqua Regia tends to have far too much nitric, which then must be eliminated.

Urea complicates matters. While it can neutralize a solution, it does not eliminate nitric. Sulfamic acid does, and is preferred for that reason.

Also, for SMB to be an effective precipitant, the solution must be acidic, not neutral.

Time for more coffee.

We all started at the beginning with no knowledge. It is how we move toward a goal that matters. I recall when I first started I was very wary of asking questions. Fortunately I love to read. Over time I got to ask questions in a way where the forum could give me straight answers. Communication is key, for both sides, being clearly stated gets better answers. Then the whole forum is on the same page.

Keep at it if this is what you really want to do… read a lot and ask when you have to.

By the way, you can consume excess nitric by adding more SMB, until the gold finally drops. Not the best way but workable. Just be sure you have gold in solution first. Stannous Chloride is your best friend.

Did the stannous test, came back black on the paper
Also it’s hard to ask questions after reading posts from others to new ppl, I read one today sum1 got a snobbish reply n they gave it back to them with both barrels. Also I’ve read the type of things that guy Butcher says, he’s the last guy I would ever want to have a conversation with just because I don’t know where he lives

The problem is that you should have already studied and had the knowledge that it takes to do your refining project that way when you have a problem it would not have been a giant toxic mess.
If you searched the forum you would have also seen that the people who you called snobs-ect have helped literally thousands of people. Nobody here gets paid to baby step you through your problems because you didn't take the time to learn yourself and then you get pissed if they don't hand you the answers. If it's not worth your time for you to study why do you ask others for their time ?
I studied everything refining for a few years before I even tried my first refining project and no bs, I knew every step and done them without second guessing myself.
Your little simple recovery of foils is about the easiest thing for anyone to do but you didn't take the time to get familiar with the process so you need to loose your attitude.
You are the only one being a Pre Madonna you did get the information to walk your lazy toddler ass through YOUR problem.
I'm certain that no forum members come here just to degrade others, we are all here to learn and give help to people who have put in at least a decent amount of effort to learn.
If you are really interested in continuing refining put in a bit of time studying so you mostly understand what you need to do, if not kick rocks, we won't miss you.

Last edited:
So then I’m right, I have 500mls of garbage.

No idea, we can’t see it. That’s a hint for pictures of your current solution.

3:1 AR leaves lots of nitric. Low heat, don’t boil, allow to evaporate until a tiny bit of sulfamic acid doesn’t cause bubbling. Or very little bubbling.

Once there, add an ounce or two of HCl. Then try the sulfamic again….let’s see where you stand when you reach this point.

One other thing, go back and reread galenrog’s post. Think it over. We are saying the same thing, just in different words.

One more thing you might want to do. Read Hoke. Read it again. Read it a third time, writing down questions you have. Perform the acquaintance experiments she describes. By this time you should be familiar with both terminology, which can seem like learning a new language, and basic procedures.

Study the Forum sections on safety and dealing with waste. Things were different seventy years ago when Hoke wrote her book for jewelers. Safety and waste treatment procedures have improved dramatically.

With a little humility and a lot of effort on your part, forum members may be able to help you fix your mess. Best advice is to present your plan here, in detail, and discuss it with others.

Time for more coffee.

Edit: 500 ml of problem solution is small, so take it in small steps.

Also I’ve read the type of things that guy Butcher says, he’s the last guy I would ever want to have a conversation with just because I don’t know where he lives
I have never met butcher in person, but I have read a lot of his posts, maybe all of them. He was here when I started and he helped me A LOT. And many others, that seem to have the “snobby” attitude as well. Several of the people you seem upset at are good people but after years of answering the same questions, giving the same answers that are already all over the forum can wear on a persons nerves. If you read much, you can find many of my first posts, looking back I was such a newbie it seems almost funny now. After 10 plus years of this I can still find posts nearly everyday that leaves me questioning just why I know so little about this refining stuff.

Back