AuCl orange?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftyTheBandit

I just filtered my HCL/Cl and I was left with an intense orange. I re-treated my left over material with HCl/Cl again and it came out Yellow. Now I have a beaker of orange Au and a beaker of yellow Au. Would anyone know what would cause my original wash with HCl/Cl to come out orange?

The material was incinerated but I have never seen orange before especially when the second batch was yellow....

You're fine.

It goes from light yellow to golden yellow to orange yellow to orange to orange-red (with yellow if swirled) to deepest red if concentrated enough (as in 10 ozt/L in strong HCl).

Thank you Lou, I uploaded the picture of the solution, I'm glad to hear this is a good sign, I was worried I had made kool-aid by mistake. :twisted:

I brewed up 5lbs of pins, I guess its SMB time baby!

Noxx said:
Orange to red AR means highly concentrated :p
Yep! So then, if good techniques are applied in precipitation, washing and melting, great quality can be expected. 9995+ is not beyond reality.

Harold

Here is a picture of 181.875 grams of gold (5.85 Troy Oz) per liter that I ran for comparison that is in a chloride solution. Your picture looks a little lighter in color but was also taken in daylight whereas this pic was under fluorescent lighting.

The point is that it is orange in color, not green or brown. When I did my second refining, I typically had about 18 ounces in a liter. The color was not appreciably darker than that shown by Oz. Only when the solution becomes super saturated (think evaporation) does it turn the dark red/brown mentioned by Lou.

Harold

Valid point Plat, I had not looked at the volume of his beaker. I have never done quantitative tests on yields from pins but had simply done my best to match his solution color with pics of mine that have known gold concentrations. For chuckles since I now know that he has 700ml of solution we can change the gram content by removing 30% from my grams per liter number to give grams in his solution on the assumption that it is only gold giving the color to his. That would then be 127.31 grams in his 700ml. Having 2,268 grams (5lbs) of pins processed to recover 127.31 grams of Au would mean his pins were running 5.6133% gold.

Those would be mighty nice pins to have for sure and I am not sure if there are that high of grade pins out there, GSP would know. Using Plat’s 15 gram yield number for 5lbs would work out to an Au yield percentage of 0.6614% for less than 1%.

As I said I do not have quantitative yield results of my own from pins. It will be interesting to hear his yield and see a pic of the button he produces. Platinum groups could add to his orange but I see no good reason for them to be present in clean cut gold plated pins.

There are rather large differences in concentration levels before significant color changes occur. Seeing Harold’s comment on 18 ounces per liter I’m posting a pic that is close to that for comparison. This is 727 grams (23.39 Troy Oz) per liter in HCl. It is a darker orange but even at 4 times the gold concentration it is still orange and far more viscous and not showing red yet.

Here is only 40 grams per liter of Pt in HCl. Notice the red orange color even at this low concentration? Though I can’t see any good reason for him to have platinum groups from his source material.

I am waiting for my video camera batteries to charge up.
Once my batteries are charged I will post the video on Youtube and post the link here. I will have the pins I processed in the video area of view.
I am using 31.3g of SMB in 250ml of boiling water. I will see how that goes on my 1st drop, I sure hope I need more!! :twisted:

The other components you will see are from the ABC Wide World of Sports camera control truck, I will be processing using a cell. I have 110 of them, I hope that 1970's plating is thick....

Looks nice indeed! In the morning a pic will tell much if there are values present still. In addition to that a stannic test is a must have before making the solution safe to toss w/o loss.

Well, looks like about 10g, I think. Looks like I need to add more SMB though. I have about 300ml of Au in another beaker so my fun is not complete. For a while there I though I had allot but once the dust settled, the yield was disappointing. However the gold is a beautiful light brown. Usually darker from my experience. And Still another SMB to go on this beaker.

Iron can impart an orange color to chloride solutions. Is it possible the pins had some steel in/on them (ie. springs, collars, etc.)?

I also noticed that your precipitated solution looks slightly green in the photo. This could be an iron sulfate.

Steve

I would have to agree with Steve. The solution was not as pregnant with gold as it appeared and must have been contaminated with something that made it appear highly concentrated.

The SMB solution remaining did have a green tint to it that raised concerns that impurities may be present.

The SMB solution after filtering now appears bright yellow. I have added more SMB to make sure no values are being left behind, but I think the solution is just concentrated with SMB giving it its bright yellow color. Either way I will test with Stannious to make ultra sure I'm not missing something.

I will continue with a water rinse x3 and an HCl rinse x 3 followed by a water rinse x 3. I will monitor the color of the HCl rinses closely for discoloration.

Then proceed to dry within the beaker and melt in a melting dish provided by Steve.

I am hoping for 10-15g.

I might as well document this drop from start to finish.

Latest posts

Back