auto catalyst refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iis

Thank you Steven :D
First success
Have some Rhodium is well only don’t know how to convert to metal state from the grey powder

Attachments

• 060320092093.jpg
    060320092093.jpg
    28.4 KB
  • 060320092094.jpg
    060320092094.jpg
    35.1 KB
  • 070320092114.jpg
    070320092114.jpg
    30.1 KB
  • 070320092115.jpg
    070320092115.jpg
    28.7 KB
  • 070320092116.jpg
    070320092116.jpg
    32.2 KB
Great Job IIS!

I take it the DVD helped you out?

The swab in the photo looks to be strongly Platinum, but the slight red color may be a possible Rhodium indication also. You should test a sample of the liquid as per my Rhodium Testing process here:

Rhodium Test

It's best if you recover the Palladium and Platinum first, but the test will work either way, it's just easier to see the rose color when the Pd and Pt levels are minimal.

Your Rhodium powder may be contaminated with Cab-O-Sil if you used fine powdered zinc (200-325 mesh) or Ebay zinc powder. It's a silicone dioxide additive that is put in the zinc powder for safety during shipping.

I am trying to get enough zinc turnings together to begin selling them on my website. The turnings work great and it takes a lot less of them than the fine powdered zinc.

Have you tried incineration or melting yet?

Steve

Hi Steven
Bay your info picture 060320092094.jpg I stated Palladium must to be Rhodium it newer bin shoving Palladium on the test I guest so it must to be after when I precipitated Platinum. I will trying incinerating and melting I done before with Palladium will post picture

I believe he is refering to the pic with the dark brown mud in the bottom of a container titled palladium.
As for the rest of what he is saying..................?...................

oh, he thinks it must be rhodium, because it does not test positive for palladium.
Right IIS?
Randy

Hi
Yes sorry for my English.
It must be rhodium, because it does not test positive for palladium yes it what I wanted to say sorry
Thanks

The test swab looks very much like positive platinum. I've seen platinum powder precipitate as this brick red color when the nitric acid was not fully removed from the AR solution. I've also seen it when Iridium is present (cats should not have this however). The only reason I suspected Rhodium was the red tint the test swab appears to have in addition to the orange color.

Rhodium is the undissolved light gray powder left after the mixed PGM powder is dissolved in AR. Some of the Rhodium powder will follow the Platinum in AR also.

A little Rhodium ammonium chloride will precipitate with the Platinum ammonium chloride, but it is redissolved when the powder is washed with the dilute ammonium chloride rinse. This typically gives the Platinum salt a greenish hue.

Steve

Hi
Just melt some platinum and palladium,
Platinum luck weary nice shiny silver colour
Thank you Steve for DVD

Attachments

• 110320092173.jpg
    110320092173.jpg
    20.8 KB
  • 110320092182.jpg
    110320092182.jpg
    23.9 KB
IIS,
Awesome job, thanks for sharing your results. I plan on getting
started soon when the weather breaks here and will show pictures
when I get my results. Did you use a hydrogen torch to melt it?
That may delay my melting, untill I get a hydrogen torch.
Jim

IIs,

Did you prove the buttons by hammering flat and looking for cracks around the edges?

The buttons look good, but there may be room to improve the purity if you redissolve and precipitate again. Repeating the process with AR may improve the quality and look of the buttons.

When proving and sweating the buttons read Hokes descriptions to identify problem areas. This information is covered in good detail in Appendix Chapter A starting on page 293.

All in all very nice work!!

Steve

Hi
I am not shoo I will say 4.5 cats I don only ones them, Steve recommended 3 times to pot in solution.

Hi Steve
Not yet but it luck to nice to co overeat with a hammer :)
Thanks Steve I will do, but it shims to not all precipitated from solution I have to ad zinc again and get rest in black powder because solution been going wary thick like a syrup

does the normal torch work compareable to the hydrogen torch? I know I was just looking on ebay and some hho generator bench torches claim just over 5,000F.

iis, just out of couriousity roughly how much in materials (labware, torch, filters, etc..) do you think you have vested in this project?

I am looking forward to ordering steve's dvd but am also hopeing to get a jump on rounding up the materials. anyone have an equipment list for this project they wouldn't mind emailing me? email addy is [email protected]

thanks
- Rich

loco said:
does the normal torch work compareable to the hydrogen torch? I know I was just looking on ebay and some hho generator bench torches claim just over 5,000F.
Oxy/acetylene is reputed to produce a flame in excess of 6,000°F, but it can also produces carbon, which can lead to complications when melting platinum. Carbides can form. The torch of choice for platinum is hydrogen/oxygen as a result.

Harold

ok so can anyone tell me if the hho generator style torches will work fine? or where is a good place to try and find a hydrogen/oxygen torch at a decent price? pretty sure I can't run down to home depot and buy one. thanks.

- Rich

Rich,

I bought my hydrogen tank and regulator at AirGas. Had to place the order a week in advance and it ran around $250 for everything. There is a special fitting for the hydrogen tank that had to be purchased in this price. The guy at AirGas handled all the part numbers and was very helpful. I took some gold and explained that I wanted the hydrogen for melting platinum. The deal went very smoothly.

Don't use the same hoses as your act/oxy rig.

Also be sure your goggles are up to snuff to for the hydrogen torch intensity.

I have no experience with HHO torch, so I can not intelligently advise you on that subject.

Steve

Back