Automotive electronics

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the airbag itself has just 4 pins that are plated an not worth messing with the charge itself contains potassium nitrate and another chemical I have one that I have tore down to the charge canister there can be no electrical static or anything or they will ignite an serious damage not worth it be safe on automotive stuff

I have seen some ok electronics from cars. But only from German Cars. They just spend more on quality it seems like. If not german car i do not pick it up.

"Lukas invented the darkness. Go for Borsch" All mechanics said once.

most of my scrap comes from junkyards. certain newer model cars are a lot better to be looking into than others. As far as the best ones to hit up for pms, my findings are between gm and chrysler. bmw and mercedes have some good stuff as well but some of it is a lot more to get to. General motors vehicles from the mid 2000s and up are sweet little pm holders. the ecms have ag plated pins, ag print on the boards and a nice bga chip in them. add some descent sized mlccs to the mix along with the fact they are easy to get out and opened up. to the crown jewels of gm vehicles. look inside at the rear view mirror or anywhere the driver can easily reach. if there is an onstar button, the day just got better. the onstar modules are not to hard to get out and contain some really nice recovery scrap. small rack of plated pins, sockets for those pins, small ag plated rf connectors, the center pins for those connectors, bga chips and on certain ones they have a small pcb with ag flesh on them. early 2000s chryslers only make the list because certain ones will contain up to 4 good sized bda chips. there are other sources on these things to get pm but these are the best spots i have found to hit up.

If anyone knows of some more good stuff on cars from the usa market, let me know. i clean out my sources kinda quick but luckily they restock pretty often,

those gold plated balls i believe are plated over nickel. some testing with a magnet shows they are magnetic but not like steel.

tbone0327 said:
most of my scrap comes from junkyards. certain newer model cars are a lot better to be looking into than others. As far as the best ones to hit up for pms, my findings are between gm and chrysler. bmw and mercedes have some good stuff as well but some of it is a lot more to get to. General motors vehicles from the mid 2000s and up are sweet little pm holders. the ecms have ag plated pins, ag print on the boards and a nice bga chip in them. add some descent sized mlccs to the mix along with the fact they are easy to get out and opened up. to the crown jewels of gm vehicles. look inside at the rear view mirror or anywhere the driver can easily reach. if there is an onstar button, the day just got better. the onstar modules are not to hard to get out and contain some really nice recovery scrap. small rack of plated pins, sockets for those pins, small ag plated rf connectors, the center pins for those connectors, bga chips and on certain ones they have a small pcb with ag flesh on them. early 2000s chryslers only make the list because certain ones will contain up to 4 good sized bda chips. there are other sources on these things to get pm but these are the best spots i have found to hit up.

If anyone knows of some more good stuff on cars from the usa market, let me know. i clean out my sources kinda quick but luckily they restock pretty often,

I think you probably mean Gold (Au) plated ?

Yeah. None of it is solid gold except for the tiny bond wires in the bga chips. Went on a run today and for 2.5 hrs got 24 capped bga, about 75 grams of pins and I have no idea on the other bga.

I havent looked through most of the threads yet but to save some time, does anyone know of a descent way to get rid of silicone potting?

took a while but found it.

https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=20886&p=223172&hilit=car+sensor#p223172

Eric

Digging up an older one here while reading through stuff.

Any drive by wire vehicles have a really killer gold plated card and contractors in the throttle body mech. It’s designed to constantly move so the playing is pretty thick. Mass airflow sensors, stock stereo head units, any anything pertaining to the safety systems. If it’s vital to not killing the occupants due to malfunctions they make a point of being sure it works pretty religiously.

I was doing some prospecting at a local flea market and found an auto ecm. I figured that it was a computer so there must be some PM inside. Picked it up and a few other odds and ends for $10. I couldn't tell what make or model car it came from. Four screws held the cover on. There was a mother board inside with quite a few processors but it was encased in a clear amber colored gel material that was really tough. The gel might be a silicone or urethane, regardless it is strong enough that it wasn't worth the effort to dig it out. The connectors on the side have some gold plated pins so I might pull those out. Red
Looks like epoxy. If it is epoxy or urethane it won’t melt and solvents won’t work either. You’ll need to burn it out.

Back