Back yard Prospecting

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats what happens when paint burns. So what is the bolt circle drawing where's the photo of your retort?
Well when paint burns and contain lead it can create some toxic smoke, it is however a one time incident.
And I can't see the usefulness of a random bolt circle here.
Ther should be no to low pressure inside the retort so any method to clamp it air tight will do.

Well when paint burns and contain lead it can create some toxic smoke, it is however a one time incident.
Ther should be no to low pressure inside the retort so any method to clamp it air tight will do.
Lead has been banned from use in most paints, some automotive touch up in aerosol cans still contain lead.

California a leader in environmental protection would at best require proper labeling, advising the user of such a hazard.

Bickering only achieves to distract poeple from the real issue, you should be in politics.
Funny at one time I thought you were a Bot / AI what's a poeple. I want to thank the rest of the forum for the help I only have a few ounce's of mercury enough to last for years in my back yard mining. I'm on the way to the dentist maybe he has amalgan in a jar for me.

Lead has been banned from use in most paints, some automotive touch up in aerosol cans still contain lead.

California a leader in environmental protection would at best require proper labeling, advising the user of such a hazard.
One of you fighters brought up burning paint and lead.
Some old paints for ships contained lead to avoid biologic fouling of the hull.
And you are right, they are not legal anymore, but they still exist.

I'm not very happy with you two now, please stop the bickering and get back on track.

I'm not very happy with you two now, please stop the bickering and get back on track.
Agreed. Too many retorts on the retort discussion...

Burnt paint not me bro, I'm the sublime guy.

Lou a longstanding forum member, moderator, and refinery owner, once stated on this very site that he had his blood tested at least one a year,

Ask yourself what is he concerned with, Lou has state of the art equipment with every imaginable safety precaution used in every process carried out at the refinery.

Yggdrasil when claiming burnt lead paint is alright simply because you think its a one time event is the wrong. As a moderator I suggest in the future you error on the side of caution for the sake of the forum owner/owners.

This is not burnt paint your seeing in the image below, the sublime your seeing clearly comes from within the retorts crucible. The little bit you see at the crucible weld is from a bad weld.

The torch southforck is using is the one that came with the furnace he recently purchased, and it has enough BTU's to eliminate burnt paint pigments.

With the heat creep from the crucible leading to the discharge pipe it's obvious to me that crucible has had a lot of heat applied to it.

If it was burnt paint as you believe it to be where is the white precipitate / sublime on the pipe exiting the crucible.

Chemistry of a solid substance, change directly into vapor when heated, typically forming a solid deposit again on cooling.

Fluid Dynamics,

In physics, physical chemistry and engineering, fluid dynamics is a subdiscipline of fluid mechanics that describes the flow of fluidsliquids and gases. It has several subdisciplines, including aerodynamics (the study of air and other gases in motion)

In the future please try to remain impartial, you could end up betting on the wrong horse.

cup.png

Last edited:
Burnt paint not me bro, I'm the sublime guy.

Lou a longstanding forum member, moderator, and refinery owner, once stated on this very site that he had his blood tested at least one a year,

Ask yourself what is he concerned with, Lou has state of the art equipment with every imaginable safety precaution used in every process carried out at the refinery.

Yggdrasil when claiming burnt lead paint is alright simply because you think its a one time event is the wrong. As a moderator I suggest in the future you error on the side of caution for the sake of the forum owner/owners.

This is not burnt paint your seeing in the image below, the sublime your seeing clearly comes from within the retorts crucible. The little bit you see at the crucible weld is from a bad weld.

The torch southforck is using is the one that came with the furnace he recently purchased, and it has enough BTU's to eliminate burnt paint pigments.

With the heat creep from the crucible leading to the discharge pipe it's obvious to me that crucible has had a lot of heat applied to it.

If it was burnt paint as you believe it to be where is the white precipitate / sublime on the pipe exiting the crucible.

Chemistry of a solid substance, change directly into vapor when heated, typically forming a solid deposit again on cooling.

Fluid Dynamics,

In physics, physical chemistry and engineering, fluid dynamics is a subdiscipline of fluid mechanics that describes the flow of fluidsliquids and gases. It has several subdisciplines, including aerodynamics (the study of air and other gases in motion)

In the future please try to remain impartial, you could end up betting on the wrong horse.

View attachment 55794
Man, you see the worst in all things don't you?
Read my post again, I said noting about that being ok.

Then you will also see that I cautioned both of you, not you alone.

Get back on track now, please.

Burning IC chips also very toxic and for this reason we encourage pyrolysis a much safer practice.

As I'm sure your aware, mercury is many times more toxic, removing a victim into fresh air and providing oxygen will not reverse the effects or damage done to body organs.

An outright death would be more welcome than spending a lifetime living with the effects of mercury poisoning, being dependant on care givers..

Burning IC chips also very toxic and for this reason we encourage pyrolysis a much safer practice.

As I'm sure your aware, mercury is many times more toxic, removing a victim into fresh air and providing oxygen will not reverse the effects or damage done to body organs.

An outright death would be more welcome than spending a lifetime living with the effects of mercury poisoning, being dependant on care givers..
So why are you directing this to me??
Have I said otherwise?

Man, you see the worst in all things don't you?
Read my post again, I said noting about that being ok.

Then you will also see that I cautioned both of you, not you alone.

Get back on track now, please.
The inference was there.

I was leaving this mess hours ago, then the professor came on asking about my retort then basically called me a liar before going onto brag about the retort he purchased with the gold he recovered.

Next Southfork will claim that I'm jealous, not in the least. My issue is his carelessness in his use of mercury and the new retort is far from safe.

So why are you directing this to me??
Have I said otherwise?
We insist on safety, why is it Southfork gets a free pass.

The inference is in bold print.

If I were ever in front of a jury for murder, would elect you as a jury member. I could just imagine the look on the judges face when you tell him. Well your honor, it is however a one time incident.

Stand up comedy at its finest, I hear the gavel being pounded to silence the courtroom..

Quote.

Last edited:
I have banned stoneware. He is an argumentative, disruptive member, and always has been. He has been banned before as gustavus, rusty, and probably a couple of other identities. I warned previously that I have very little patience right now, and he has pushed me beyond my limit.

Dave

Just to clear up the burnt pipe cap with the white residue. It comes from the instructions Prior to use the first time, put the cap on chamber, and heat to cherry red to burn out any oil or paint in the cast iron let cool without using water. Now you are ready to use the retort. I have no way of knowing what was in the paint or the retort that's why it was outdoors in the fresh air. Thanks for all the safety tips and help and sorry about the bad ending.

pump for the retort arrived aquarium type 110 AC adjustable flow tested for leaks then fired it up. 59 grams of dirty mercury and little water placed in the chamber about 15 minutes and the mercury started dripping out. Recovered 53 grams of mercury and 1.5-gram sponge missing weight maybe water and dirt caught in the vapor break? The water did not warm up and the vapor break worked great. Another tool on the shelf when needed Happy Mining Sorry about the video first try. I just checked the catch jar again more mercury must be in the cloth vapor break.

Attachments

• 20230324_111621.mp4
    37.9 MB
  • 20230324_124626.mp4
    1.9 MB
  • 20230324_114123.mp4
    439.9 KB
  • 20230324_124653.mp4
    1.4 MB
  • 20230324_112353.jpg
    20230324_112353.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230324_131501.jpg
    20230324_131501.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
pump for the retort arrived aquarium type 110 AC adjustable flow tested for leaks then fired it up. 59 grams of dirty mercury and little water placed in the chamber about 15 minutes and the mercury started dripping out. Recovered 53 grams of mercury and 1.5-gram sponge missing weight maybe water and dirt caught in the vapor break? The water did not warm up and the vapor break worked great. Another tool on the shelf when needed Happy Mining Sorry about the video first try. I just checked the catch jar again more mercury must be in the cloth vapor break.
After all is cooled, lift up retort so condenser is still over your catch jar. Give a light tap to the retort, and a lot of Mercury will run out the condensing tube. It has a habit of sticking, or small beads will adhere to inside.

After all is cooled, lift up retort so condenser is still over your catch jar. Give a light tap to the retort, and a lot of Mercury will run out the condensing tube. It has a habit of sticking, or small beads will adhere to inside.
You were right I tapped on the chamber end after tilting more came out. So a little more towards the total recovered which is a good thing. I'm melting amalgam and other gold cleaned of mercury this morning while the suns shining.

In order to clearly communicate with other members when it comes time to deal with your tails I suggest you read Hoke's book to understand the terminology involved with refining precious metals.

Also an assay of your material would be representative of the gold coming from your geological area, for instance gold mined in certain areas in British Columbia contain arsenic, gold coming from the north has a certain amount of silver.

You really should educate yourself, does that dust coming off the chain mill contain arsenic a common element found in drinking water in California.

An estimated 300,000 people in California are exposed to arsenic concentrations higher than 10 ppb in their drinking water,” said research team

Nice gold by the way.

I noticed that your hands look very rough from another forum, this is the reason I'm bringing up arsenic.

View attachment 53711
Hello, do you know of an assayer in California that will test ore via mail?

Hello All,

I keep finding small flakes of gold, approximately 1-3mm, on an inside curve of a creek on my property. I dig down near the bank a few shovel fulls and have just been panning. I’ve panned about a heaping five gallon bucket full and found approximately 30 small flakes of gold. I’m thinking about using a high banker so I don’t have to pan so much. My question is, which direction from where I found the flakes should I continue? The whole area? Up the bank higher? Down deeper? With so many small flakes should my expectation be that’s the typical size I’ll find in the area, or will there be bigger? Just trying to figure out where to chase the gold from the location point.

Back