Best metal for ‘nquartation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabama938

It seems that silver is generally considered a carrier metal for platinum in palladium, does it also carry nickel?

I worked my way through almost a troy ounce worth of gold from computer parts and was considering a few runs of scrap karat gold jewelry and also some Goldfilled material (pretty sure I got ripped off and got a bag of watch bands). I planned everything so that when I ran out of nitric acid I would process all my waste and “hit the reset button.”

So my real question is what is the best metal for inquarting gold? Using sterling silver seems to be killing two birds with one stone, but you also need the real estate to cement the silver, and also some sort of secondary refining ie THUM cell. I would love to build one of these but that’s going to burn even more of my precious nitric acid to make the electrolyte.

Can I just use copper wire and skip the whole stock pot step and crash the copper out of solution with something to make a waste easier? Is 14 karat yellow gold jewelry generally silver containing? It seems like on the gold triangle that it wouldn’t be possible without a significant amount of copper? Appreciate any comments in advance.

Roll Tide

No silver doesn’t carry nickel.
Many modern jewellery alloys contain little to no silver so you can go straight to AR in many cases, you may end up with some silver chloride which can be filtered out, it could be worth a trial, if you use copper to inquart you will use much more nitric than by using silver.
The cementing of the silver needs solid pieces of copper as this minimizes the amount of copper getting into your cement and this cement can be used many times for further inquarting, if you end up with too much cement at a later date then convert to chloride and convert that to elemental silver, if done properly you can get 999 silver.
Watch bands are frequently gold filled but you need to remove the stainless back and the springs before attempting to process them and run it separately from your karat gold.

Aqua regia process is that it is a much simpler operation in which no loss of gold should occur as base metals, silver, and palladium are dissolved out of the refinable grain, leaving all the gold behind, still in its original grain form. In the event that any palladium is available in the first material, as may be the situation for white gold piece, palladium will break up in water Regia however will stay in arrangement when the gold is hastened and can be recuperated independently. You can use Pirotechnia Aure8 Refining Equipment for more better results.

Dave jerry said:
Aqua regia process is that it is a much simpler operation in which no loss of gold should occur as base metals, silver, and palladium are dissolved out of the refinable grain, leaving all the gold behind, still in its original grain form. In the event that any palladium is available in the first material, as may be the situation for white gold piece, palladium will break up in water Regia however will stay in arrangement when the gold is hastened and can be recuperated independently. You can use Pirotechnia Aure8 Refining Equipment for more better results.

Hey Dave, or is it Jerry?

Your post makes no sense. Are you a spammer? Your English isn't very good for coming from USA.

Göran

Back