Best route?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harv94

I have some mlcc's and thin film resistors mixed in with some of my filters containing foils. I can't dissolve the foils in HCl/bleach until I remove them right?

I have seen them from time to time mixed in with the Au foils from fingers.
They stay as is pretty much and are left behind along with the green solder
mask, trash in the filter you use that screens out the junk and lets the Au solution
pass through.

I would say: carry on and dissolve your foils!

If you cook it for a while, all metals from sufrace will dissolve. SMD resistors and MLCCs contain some silver, so afterwards good wash of dropped gold with HCl/ammonia is advisable. But as they are not crushed, this will be minor thing.
In boiling AR, silver tend to somewhat dissolve/disintegrate, but overall is passivated with AgCl layer, so losses due to cementation should be negligible.

I have seen them from time to time mixed in with the Au foils from fingers.
They stay as is pretty much and are left behind along with the green solder
mask, trash in the filter you use that screens out the junk and lets the Au solution
pass through.

I would say: carry on and dissolve your foils!

If you cook it for a while, all metals from sufrace will dissolve. SMD resistors and MLCCs contain some silver, so afterwards good wash of dropped gold with HCl/ammonia is advisable. But as they are not crushed, this will be minor thing.
In boiling AR, silver tend to somewhat dissolve/disintegrate, but overall is passivated with AgCl layer, so losses due to cementation should be negligible.
My plan was to dissolve using HCl/bleach but I found some nitric acid substitute and urea I forgot I had. What's the best process for a beginner that's never tried either

HCl/bleach should work too, but personally i would suggest going with HCl/nitric or HCl/nitrate to accomplish this. Easy to manage, creating less waste liquid afterwards (bleach is very diluted). Just heat it and observe when everything goes into the solution.

Back