boiling question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radical351

i was wondering was does everybody use to boil their gold. do you use a coffee pot, steel pot?
im looking to buy some equipment and was trying to get some ideas

ray

Never steel.

Shopping comes later.

You have some reading to do first. Look for posts by lazersteve for his forum guide. If you don't understand something you read here just ask.

qst42know said:
Never steel.

Shopping comes later.

You have some reading to do first. Look for posts by lazersteve for his forum guide. If you don't understand something you read here just ask.

thanks for repling to my post
i have been reading, alot really.
i have seen steves videos and read alot of his posts and harolds posts and catfish posts.
i use the ap process and wanted to get the gold purer.
so i found a post on boiling and now comes the question.

what does everybody use?

radical351 said:
qst42know said:
Never steel.

Shopping comes later.

thanks for repling to my post
i have been reading, alot really.
i have seen steves videos and read alot of his posts and harolds posts and catfish posts.
i use the ap process and wanted to get the gold purer.
so i found a post on boiling and now comes the question.

what does everybody use?
read Hoke it may help you to in case i use coffe pot wish i belive its cheper the buying all the right thing stard with coffe pot 10$ at walmart old but clean buckets depends on you but i have about 3 for my AP it all deppends do you have 100 to spare to start then upgrade what are your intentions computer parts jewlery ext what your proses to start

I use coffee pots Pyrex a hot plate, my electric hotplates are not the type with a spiral, they are cast iron tops with heating coil in grooves of the bottom of the Iron top, the heat is more even,this is important you dont have hot spots.
caution never change temperature on any glass item fast at all always gradually change temperature, never add cool liquids to hot glass, or solutions, or hot solutions to cold glass, its called thermal shock, the glass crystals do not always expand at the same rate so glass cracks or shatters, hot acids or spilling gold solutions, I also use a fiberglass tray under my hot plate, like a serving tray at a cafe. I have lab beakers also, you can order these at a reasonable price, if you do not have a good hot plate that distributes heat even an asbestos blanket or screen will help.
also you can use a sand bath, a pot of sand, a couple of inches thick in the pot and your heating vessel sits in this, it will not change temperature rapidly, and insulates your glass from the fire or electric element,it will get hot just wont do so at a fast rate and it distributes heat fairly evenly. some times I use an old automatic coffee maker, the burner on it will not boil but it is great for evaporating or heating solutions.
also I use these red high rubber type temperature heating pads, and I wire in a triac light dimmer to them, to control the temperature, they will get hot enough to boil , but I mainly use them for heating, I have large square pads I can sit an item to be heated on, or I have long one's that can wrap around jars or 5gal plastic buckets (careful you cannot heat plastic bucket too hot, so temperature control is important here). lab boiling flasks are also reasonable.

butcher said:
also I use these red high rubber type temperature heating pads, and I wire in a triac light dimmer to them, to control the temperature, they will get hot enough to boil , but I mainly use them for heating, I have large square pads I can sit an item to be heated on, or I have long one's that can wrap around jars or 5gal plastic buckets (careful you cannot heat plastic bucket too hot, so temperature control is important here). lab boiling flasks are also reasonable.

Butcher,

Would it be too much to get you to post a picture of these please.

Thanks in advance.

butcher
thank you very much
this was the answer is was looking for. i did have a stove type thing i was thinking about using. it was green and i think it used propane to heat it. i was very hesitent to use it. and i think i might of had a brain lock trying to think about what to use.
thank you very much

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kvmheating.com/web/sites/13/userfiles/image/uploads/products/Silicone%2520Rubber%2520Heater-1.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.kvmheating.com/web/index.php%3Fpage%3DSHOWPRODUCTS%26catid%3D190%26id%3D194&usg=__gyfN3_rU4521LHKyCdDNabA-mQ4=&h=1336&w=1707&sz=153&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=OeQoL-aGatuclM:&tbnh=117&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsilicone%2Bpad%2Bheater%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

you can find these in old equiptment, auto parts may have them battery heaters, plumbing to thaw pipe, I have used them to bend plexiglass or pvc pipe, drum heaters and so on.
check places like harbor freight, local hardware, auto parts, maybe even wal mart? I get mine from parting out old equiptment.

Latest posts

Back