Bond Wire Identification Help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quiklearner

Good Morning Members!

I have a bunch of these BJT power transistors out of some old commercial audio amps. I cut the cap off of one to investigate if there was any gold present. The bond wires were not gold, but a shiny silvery metal (and quite thick). Being made in Mexico, I immediately thought of silver, but when I removed the 2 wires and added a little dilute nitric to them, there was no reaction. These devices can handle 20A, so in fact, I do not believe that silver would have been used.

My question is: Does anyone have an idea of what metal these bond wires could be? Palladium coated copper perhaps?

Attachments

• BJT= MJ21194 MEX.png
    BJT= MJ21194 MEX.png
    625.3 KB · Views: 21
Good Morning Members!

I have a bunch of these BJT power transistors out of some old commercial audio amps. I cut the cap off of one to investigate if there was any gold present. The bond wires were not gold, but a shiny silvery metal (and quite thick). Being made in Mexico, I immediately thought of silver, but when I removed the 2 wires and added a little dilute nitric to them, there was no reaction. These devices can handle 20A, so in fact, I do not believe that silver would have been used.

My question is: Does anyone have an idea of what metal these bond wires could be? Palladium coated copper perhaps?
aluminium bond wire

Latest posts

Back