Bright fireball lights up the pre-dawn sky over Colorado (video)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cosmetal said:
https://www.space.com/bright-fireball-meteor-colorado-video

Any Colorado members planning on finding its debris field (if any)? @acpeacemaker - game on? :D

Peace and Fun,
James

Dude!!! Game on!! LOL
I got nothing better to do and I was planning on heading to that area soon anyway. That's awesome. 😁🙃

Andrew

I think the possibility to recover anything from that meteor is very slim. It looked as it came in with a quite steep slope so it slammed head first into the atmosphere before it had the possibility to bleed off the excess speed. That usually means that it evaporates fully in the atmosphere.

The article contains a quite big factual error too, there might have been 1200 people damaged by the Chelyabinsk meteorite but it was from the shock wave that crushed windows, blew in doors and even a roof on a factory. No individual was hit directly by a fragment of the meteor. A main body was found in a lake after punching through the ice and thousands of smaller fragments were found in the snow. I have two pieces in my collection.

But if you are in the area, go and hunt for it. It's only by looking we can find something and it can be a fine day out in the field.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
I think the possibility to recover anything from that meteor is very slim. It looked as it came in with a quite steep slope so it slammed head first into the atmosphere before it had the possibility to bleed off the excess speed. That usually means that it evaporates fully in the atmosphere.

The article contains a quite big factual error too, there might have been 1200 people damaged by the Chelyabinsk meteorite but it was from the shock wave that crushed windows, blew in doors and even a roof on a factory. No individual was hit directly by a fragment of the meteor. A main body was found in a lake after punching through the ice and thousands of smaller fragments were found in the snow. I have two pieces in my collection.

But if you are in the area, go and hunt for it. It's only by looking we can find something and it can be a fine day out in the field.

Göran

The areas it's referring to is such a massive broad area. The doorbell pic said it was taken 30 miles southwest of Denver. And still being in flight...that leaves fields, national forest, and the entire front range.( which is the first set of mountains in Colorado.

Might be fun but...I was planning on a trip eventually in that area for another reason. There's a spot highly elevated that is a 2 day hike and by foot only. There are 2 bombers from ww2 that crashed on test runs. Supposed to be mostly still there as it would be a hard thing to freeload down a mountain. Still curious about the stators if they are even there. Even if I'm not allowed to take pieces home. Still something neat to see trapped in time.

If you get a chance could you show your pieces?

Andrew

Back