can someone please explain. "gold refining"

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@randydnesselrotte1 hi,

I am a member of this forum for a while...i consider myself still a newbie allthough i'm active reader of the forum every day. I still study processes and chemical ecuations to understand everything, i'm more into recovery than refining, since it doesn't use chemicals.
I rather design machines and processes which are less poluting than use classic recovery techniqes which can hurt you if not done safely...
My recommendation as other member have already told you....study...study...study...pile up your stuff, recover first all your valuables .... when you have enough then you should tink about refining...

Be safe

Pete.

There are really 2 parts to the process, assuming we’re talking about scrap. First is recovery, where you get the precious metals separated from everything else. Then the refining, where you concentrate the purity. It’s not easy to explain in a little while. I recommend you check out Sreetips on YouTube. He has individual videos and series videos that explain and demonstrate the processes for gold, silver and platinum group metals. He’s been at it a long time and really is the best source of knowledge available, in my opinion. He also doesn’t edit out his occasional mistakes, so you can learn from that too. Be prepared to spend quite a bit of time. Good luck!

A simple view, is that any process that increases the purity of the element you are aiming for, can be called refining. Not all processes are good or even recommended. But the processes used by the majority of users in this forum, can be considered as safe as can be, in this dangerous field.
As long as you follow all the recommendations.
Qwerty
And as cejohnsonsr1 says Sreetips/Kadriver gives good info.

Hi,
I Second or third the danger regards gas mask, The multi cartridge gas masks used in Olympic Downs Downs smelter and refinery operations were PPE for use during evacuation of personnel only- in all function areas every one was in self contained breathing equipment in case there there was a failure of the fume extraction and even these guys carried a gas mask to use during evacuation in case the breathing systems failed.
Each cartridge on the gas mask was for specific gas/gasses and time of safe use was rated in minutes depending on the gas concentration. The cartridges were stack able and configured for the gases that could be encountered in ones particular part of operations
Eye protection is also very important to consider as chemical fumes/vapors can seriously impact on the eyeballs and moist parts.

If your getting slot card fingers off computer PCI cards, removing it from the cards and collecting the foils, you are recovering gold from scrap. These foils will most likely be 10k hard gold.

Processing this 10k Gold to pure 24K to get spot price is refining.

Tip recover a lot and figure out what you like to work with, then the process that you think would work best.
Say you have 10 lbs. of plated pins, well AP is a time and resource waste on these, a de-plating cell would be the best, as these parts are plated in gold. (My opinion and what work with the most, I can run Gold filled, trace on cards to plated car rims this way)Removes the gold and leaves you the copper bearing pins in a form you can yet sell.
You can run one with just a sea salt water design, it does not have to be sulfuric acid cell design.

Last edited:
The de-plating cell uses distilled water and salt for the solution.
About 5-6 Table spoons of Salt in a Liter of distilled water.
Power supply will need higher out put than in a sulfuric acid cell, 12v at 10-15 amps.

Back