Can you dissolve gold with HCL and Bleach?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akragon

I found this a few nights ago... apparently this guy uses HCL and Bleach to dissolve gold from these plates... does this work?

And IF it does, could this be used to remove plated gold?

Edited after initial post, by OP.
This comment added by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this a few nights ago... apparently this guy uses HCL and Bleach to dissolve gold from these plates... does this work?

What is your purpose of this thread? Re posting a video without comment or question seems strange.
This is not Twitter!

Yes, it is possible to dissolve Gold in HCl/bleach, but it is not suited for other than foils and powders.

Please do not edit posts unless you inform it has been edited, it may break the information chain after initial post.
I added an edit comment to the initial post.

Most dissolving methods are not suited to dissolve plated Gold unless the plating is on non metallic substrate.
Cyanide can be used, with proper safety precautions.
Not sure if it can be profitable though, unless you have sufficient material to deplate.

Edit for spelling

What is your purpose of this thread? Re posting a video without comment or question seems strange.
This is not Twitter!

Yes, it is possible to dissolve Gold in HCl/bleach, but it is not suited for other than foils and powders.
Easy man... i pressed enter and it posted immediately. Its edited 🙂
Please do not edit posts unless you inform it has been edited, it may break the information chain after initial post.
I added an edit comment to the initial post.
Sorry man, it just auto posted when i pressed enter to skip to the next line.... my bad

Easy man... i pressed enter and it posted immediately. Its edited 🙂

Sorry man, it just auto posted when i pressed enter to skip to the next line.... my bad
Accidents happen, but do not edit unless you inform about it.

Most dissolving methods are not suited to dissolve plated Gold unless the plating is on non metallic substrate.
Cyanide can be used, with proper safety precautions.
Not sure if it can be profitable though, unless you have sufficient material to deplate.

Edit for spelling
Lol damn... im gonna skip on the Cyanide.

So IF you dipped a plated gold piece into said liquid it wouldn't remove any gold?

Lol damn... im gonna skip on the Cyanide.

So IF you dipped a plated gold piece into said liquid it wouldn't remove any gold?
Yes it will, but it will cement out on any non precious metal surfaces.
And when using HCl/Bleach one have to monitor the pH closely so it don’t get so high it neutralises the HCl.

Yes, it can work, but it’s not economical for large amounts of gold or thick pieces. Not a preferred process, more of also works if under the right conditions.

I use it on small batches of clean foils, thicker parts or anything not gold mixed in with the gold will deplete its working abilities quickly.

It also produces chlorine gas, can be deadly if used too casually.

Back