Cat with a climbing gear!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palladium

Jesus Christ! These prices just keep going up like a cat with a climbing gear!
It was bad enough my air permit went from $1200 year to $1500 plus a $150 site visit fee.
69% nitric acid in 2016 was .38 lb
69% nitric acid this time last year Sept 2020 was .44 lb
69% nitric acid Jan 2021 was .55 lb
69% nitric acid June 2021 was .60 lb
69% nitric acid as of Oct 2021 will be .67 lb
Hcl 31.45% is at .60 lb and climbing like the rest. This time last year it was .48 lb
Sodium Hydroxide beads have almost doubled to .70 lbs and that's if you can even get them. They are limited in supply and take 2 weeks notice and limited to 500 lb ration. I can't even order Magnesium Hydroxide right now and they don't know when they will have it in stock. Then they tack on a $20 fuel surcharge and you have to add taxes!

It's just the beginning

wait till they get the 1.5 trillion infrastructure bill passed along with the other 3.5 trillion bill (= 6 trillion) which we know will actually be more then that because it leaves "add on's" in the bill(s)

I happen to love my ribeye steaks - like to throw one on the grill at least once a week if not twice a week

a year ago a ribeye cost $10 - now they cost $20

last year my favorite hamburger at the local pub cost $7 - now it cost $12 --- a $2 beer now cost $3

have you tried to buy any wood products lately - OSB (4x8 sheets of wafer board) last year $15 per sheet - this year it went up to $90 per sheet (I believe recently it has gone down some)

I am working on building what last year was priced at a $500.000 house - it is likely now going to be a $1,500,000 (or more) house

we should be almost done with building that house now - but because some materials are so hard to get (shortage) we are only somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 done --- thank god we have other project to work on while we wait for materials between the different jobs (get materials for one job while wait on another) if we had just the one job - we would be dead in the water half the time

I thank god that I happen to have some mineral rights in North Dakota because a least the royalty checks I get for the oil they pump at least "off set" all of this inflation - including - but not limited - to the price of gas at the local pump

Kurt

Inflation coupled with various price corrections is coming like a freight train. Not only USA, but globally, for example - we've had some ridiculous energy price increases this summer (>40%); Whats happening in UK right now is just a prelude to a huge labor costs increase....

Actually I have been waiting for that for more than a year now. stockpiling.
But the workshop-warehouse is full and I'm at a point that I need to make a bet - should I sell couple of tons of aluminium scrap or copper bearing scrap (transformers, etc.) to free up some space... Also already had to sell my huge stash of lead batteries - figured it had the least price increase potential..

for arguments sake, what do you all think - what kind of metal will have a steeper price curve increase? aluminium or copper?

I'll tell you one thing, though - I am holding on to the PM bearing scrap - boards and all.

I was very surprised to see that scrap iron - "tin" - had a price decrease of about ~15% last week; northen hemisphere autumn corona-fear, perhaps; still much higher than a year ago...

also feeling damn lucky I have almost finished my new house (and sunk all my cash & savings in to it) - started back in 2019/2020 season; lumber was about 200 eur/m3, now it is over 400; and that is IF you can get some - neighbor of mine started building about year later and ended up having to buy unprocessed logs and using portable sawmill services to get what he needed...

Walking the dog yesterday, someone came up to me and said: " Hey aren't you that dude playing with acids? I have 2,5 liter of HNO3 63% and the same amount of Sulphuric 98% sitting in a closet. you want it? "
hmmm... let me think...
YEAAHHH!!! gimme gimme!
I'll give him a bottle of mine back for it. (lunar creations :mrgreen:)

Things just seem to cross my path. lucky me.

But getting chemicals is no fun now. (compared to 10 years ago..)

And good to see you're back sir.

niks neims said:
Inflation coupled with various price corrections is coming like a freight train. Not only USA, but globally, for example - we've had some ridiculous energy price increases this summer (>40%); Whats happening in UK right now is just a prelude to a huge labor costs increase....

Actually I have been waiting for that for more than a year now. stockpiling.
But the workshop-warehouse is full and I'm at a point that I need to make a bet - should I sell couple of tons of aluminium scrap or copper bearing scrap (transformers, etc.) to free up some space... Also already had to sell my huge stash of lead batteries - figured it had the least price increase potential..

for arguments sake, what do you all think - what kind of metal will have a steeper price curve increase? aluminium or copper?

I'll tell you one thing, though - I am holding on to the PM bearing scrap - boards and all.

I was very surprised to see that scrap iron - "tin" - had a price decrease of about ~15% last week; northen hemisphere autumn corona-fear, perhaps; still much higher than a year ago...

also feeling damn lucky I have almost finished my new house (and sunk all my cash & savings in to it) - started back in 2019/2020 season; lumber was about 200 eur/m3, now it is over 400; and that is IF you can get some - neighbor of mine started building about year later and ended up having to buy unprocessed logs and using portable sawmill services to get what he needed...

This is just an updated list from a yard I used to frequent. I'm guessing eventually copper will be. The most I can remember in 25 years or so is when copper was$4.50 lb and aluminum rarely changed. A couple years and cu was at a stomach punching $1.80lb and aluminum cans were .35lb. Wheels always seem to hold their own

But like kurt talking about wood. I imagine theft will be on a new high.

Andrew

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210929-110006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210929-110006_Chrome.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20210929-105958_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210929-105958_Chrome.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 64
You just showed its been better to invest in nitric than have the money on the bank. :D It probably beats most stocks as well. :lol:

Back