Catalytic converter pgm recovery and refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, AR

When I test with stannous and a strip of filter paper I will leave it to set for 30 minutes to see if there is any other colors that show around the edges of the Pt stain. Pt is so far all I found..... could just be my luck though.

Or maybe the people I buy from already has a better buyer for the good one's. Selling the lower end one's to me because their shipping cost would eat up any profit... makes more since on their end to go that route. I would do the same thing if it w

Yes, AR

When I test with stannous and a strip of filter paper I will leave it to set for 30 minutes to see if there is any other colors that show around the edges of the Pt stain. Pt is so far all I found..... could just be my luck though.

Or maybe the people I buy from already has a better buyer for the good one's. Selling the lower end one's to me because their shipping cost would eat up any profit... makes more since on their end to go that route. I would do the same thing if it were me.
Buying online is risky, alot of people leaching them in and re selling. It's frustrating. I've bought several bad ones. I noticed on one I sprayed water through it and tested with stanous chloride and had posative for pd. 🤔. If there's an explanation other then someone previously leaching them please let me know. That's all I can think of. I've gotten pt,pd, and rh out of everyone that I've personally removed. 20220619_063417.jpg

Buying online is risky, alot of people leaching them in and re selling. It's frustrating. I've bought several bad ones. I noticed on one I sprayed water through it and tested with stanous chloride and had posative for pd. 🤔. If there's an explanation other then someone previously leaching them please let me know. That's all I can think of. I've gotten pt,pd, and rh out of everyone that I've personally removed. View attachment 50900
Thanks... I've never thought about testing the wash water. Maybe I should randomly check them...just to keep everyone honest.

I understand exactly how you feel, buying on line has always been stressful. Always wondering if you got screwed on the deal. What makes it worse is not knowing for a week until it's in the beaker. Now I only buy from the same people that I trust. They work at repair shops and scrapyard, that way I know they have legal possession of them.

I usually get a reasonable amount of Pt from them, so I would think that if they were previously leech I would get very little Pt.

Hmmm. Maybe my stannous isn't concentrated enough? I have a Au and Pt standard for checking my stannous (tested good), but I don't have a Pd standard yet.

Question: Is there an easy way to test for Rh in solution?

Thanks... I've never thought about testing the wash water. Maybe I should randomly check them...just to keep everyone honest.

I understand exactly how you feel, buying on line has always been stressful. Always wondering if you got screwed on the deal. What makes it worse is not knowing for a week until it's in the beaker. Now I only buy from the same people that I trust. They work at repair shops and scrapyard, that way I know they have legal possession of them.

I usually get a reasonable amount of Pt from them, so I would think that if they were previously leech I would get very little Pt.

Hmmm. Maybe my stannous isn't concentrated enough? I have a Au and Pt standard for checking my stannous (tested good), but I don't have a Pd standard yet.

Question: Is there an easy way to test for Rh in solution?
Nothing rhodium related is easy. Testing cheaply is almost a waste of time with the knowledge I have. I've done ALOT of research and haven't been able to find anything relevant. Wish i could be more help. I am currently working on just precipitating rhodium from solution, document process and send it in fingers crossed 🤞

Nothing rhodium related is easy. Testing cheaply is almost a waste of time with the knowledge I have. I've done ALOT of research and haven't been able to find anything relevant. Wish i could be more help. I am currently working on just precipitating rhodium from solution, document process and send it in fingers crossed 🤞
Thanks for the info.....good luck

I'm probably going to dissolve a gram of my mixed PGM blacks and see if I can detect any Pd from a concentrated solution, if it's there it should show up then.

Thanks for the info.....good luck

I'm probably going to dissolve a gram of my mixed PGM blacks and see if I can detect any Pd from a concentrated solution, if it's there it should show up then.
Thanks, have you tried to precipitate with sodium hydroxide and test precipitation with stannous chloride?

Thanks, have you tried to precipitate with sodium hydroxide and test precipitation with stannous chloride?
What do you hope to achieve by neutralising the solution with NaOH?
It will drop all the metals as hydroxides which then will need to be redissolved again.
Unless you have sufficient pH control and can perform a controlled hydrolysis that is.

Found it..... After dissolving a gram of my mixed PGM black's and doing a stannous test on the concentrated solution.... Pd showed up late but it showed up. Initially it showed strong for PT only, but after some time Pd starting showing through. The picture doesn't show well, but that is emerald green.

I was surprised how long it took for the color shift to happened, I guess I'll have to wait longer from now on. I'm now curious what all the test strips in my filter paper storage look like.

Attachments

• KIMG3547.JPG
    KIMG3547.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • KIMG3548.JPG
    KIMG3548.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

It will drop all the metals as hydroxides which then will need to be redissolved again.
Unless you have sufficient pH control and can perform a controlled
Unless you have sufficient pH control and can perform a controlled hydrolysis that is.

Last edited:
Perhaps PEM stack?
You made a series of quotes and added nothing, so I asked what you tried to say.
If you have nothing to add to a quote, you are only making noise on the forum, right?
Then you quote me again and say something that don’t make sense in this setting, at least not to me.

You made a series of quotes and added nothing, so I asked what you tried to say.
If you have nothing to add to a quote, you are only making noise on the forum, right?
Then you quote me again and say something that don’t make sense in this setting, at least not to me.
The first reply was a submission to your intelligence/authority on this forum. It's from a movie. The second would be a solution to controlling hydrolysis.

Last edited:
The first quote was the one on Friday 10:18 where you said absolutely nothing besides the quotes.

And as far as I know a PEM stack is a fuel cell stack and as such pretty useless in hydrolysis.
Bromate on the other hand can be useful.

And I made no comment to
"Thank you sir may I have another."

Why do you keep on requoting posts without adding or commenting?
I don’t understand the reasoning to do so.

Religion has no place in this forum, it is against the rules.
No kidding? Makes sense. No political nonsense either right? I am not particularly religious myself, but not necessarily against people whom are. I just try to show respect to everyone and just essentially try to treat others how I would like to be treated.

Life's golden rule. I believe anyhow.. sorry about going off on a tangent, my question I was wanting to ask is : where does one find the list of rules for the forum? I would like to review them for my personal benefit.
I would hate to have pissed someone off or offended someone or otherwise have broken some rule I didn't consider or know about and end up getting kicked off the forum.
I have come to realize that I have kind of a smart-ass and often times sarcastic sense of humor. Or atleast so I am told, so, I don't mean any disrespect with any of my comments, I am just trying to be funny (even though I know that I am not).
So, I just wanted to announce that before I say anything stupid. Y'know preventative measures and all. I appreciate everyone's wisdom and patience! Thanks.
-Samuel

Back