catalytic converter smelter (small and large amounts welcome)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not from South Africa nor Nigeria, perhaps 4 metals as he stated he has been working there.. He must have alot of experience in that field.
Commenting on a joke is needless unless it is in the same spirit.
Dragging in other people not included in the quote is, in my eyes disrespectful.
Please cool it a tad.

You aren't helping yourself. You came here and said you could offer a service to process within 48 hours for a fee. Then you changed mid post to "you'll buy for 15% higher". 15% higher than who? I can sell a cat to the local scrap yard for $80 bucks, or the local core buyer for $400, or send it off to a competitive buyer for $600.

I asked you some pretty simple questions like what you use for a collector. For someone who claimed to be a smelter in the opening post, this is a pretty simple question. I also asked you how you assay, and if you assay for others. These are key questions I'd ask any processor in the vetting process, and you are yet to show any type of tact in answering any of the questions posed.

Being bullied around is not a game. Being in a 3rd world country having one of the worst experience in your life, one tends to defend themselves.
We all have our own ways inside and outside of the forum.
Ralph talks straight from the liver and has earned his respect on the forum.

You by the way are trying to be perceived as new, even though I believe you have a history here.

Still the way you have presented yourself and dodged clear answers has most likely fueled the "bullying" you claim.
I have seen nothing I recognize as bullying, I have seen though, plenty of questions asked some answered and some ignored or blatantly disregarded with plain excuses.

So to you and the rest, stop this pissing contest and behave as the professionals you are supposed to be.

PS!
Next time you claim bullying please quote what you claim to be the offending text.
We might have overlooked something.

That's fair, but if you are running a successful operation you must be doing them for yourself. I ran a refinery for years and never took in outside assay work. It would be a conflict of interest. But I had to do it to operate the refinery. But here you are, instead of offering a simple answer like "I have a fire assay lab and I use an Atomic Absorption for PGM's" you back into a corner and come out swinging.

Really, in your dreams, you are avoiding all questions possible and trying to deflect. This is not my first rodeo sir!

Make up your mind, either pony up some evidence that you are in fact a catalytic converter smelter, which you chose because it fits what you say you do, or keep up the defense and attacking other members and find yourself forumless.
I clearly stated I am not offering assays. An assay is for those not knowing what they have. I know what I have.I know what I can do. I had a processing plant for many years. Takes miners, processing plant, smelters, and refiners to get a final product. You seem to be have done it all and have time on this forum. Sounds fishy in my eyes. Im offering extraction. You can keep referring them to Hokes book after I finish my part. Or step up and help with what comes after. Sorry I don't have Facebook, facetime, to share pictures for others to share. I can perhaps provide you my personal info through real means of doing so. I'm new this chat sharing stuff. Too old to understand this kiddy photo like sharing stuff. You have been around as you stated. Perhaps you also been working around BF Egypt area also.

We all have our own ways inside and outside of the forum.
Ralph talks straight from the liver and has earned his respect on the forum.

You by the way are trying to be perceived as new, even though I believe you have a history here.

Still the way you have presented yourself and dodged clear answers has most likely fueled the "bullying" you claim.
I have seen nothing I recognize as bullying, I have seen though, plenty of questions asked some answered and some ignored or blatantly disregarded with plain excuses.

So to you and the rest, stop this pissing contest and behave as the professionals you are supposed to be.

PS!
Next time you claim bullying please quote what you claim to be the offending text.
We might have overlooked something.
Fair enough, I have also been receiveing plenty of PMs myself asking for help as know members turned them away. You must of didn't read Hoke's, the fine line. Then you haven't read my posts. I didn't offer a assay service. Had to change my way of service for those not reading and assume I'm offering other line of works.

You aren't helping yourself. You came here and said you could offer a service to process within 48 hours for a fee. Then you changed mid post to "you'll buy for 15% higher". 15% higher than who? I can sell a cat to the local scrap yard for $80 bucks, or the local core buyer for $400, or send it off to a competitive buyer for $600.

I asked you some pretty simple questions like what you use for a collector. For someone who claimed to be a smelter in the opening post, this is a pretty simple question. I also asked you how you assay, and if you assay for others. These are key questions I'd ask any processor in the vetting process, and you are yet to show any type of tact in answering any of the questions posed.
I had to change my way of service for those not reading and understanding the service I'm offering. Like I said several times. I opened to hear others offers and all in the clients favor. If you can sell for more, please do so. You asked a question about what I use for a collector. I didn't post in the helping section. Make your own post in where it's needed for answers and maybe then I decided to answer your questions and perhaps help you with real answers rather than hear say.

So if I send you cats, what can I get back after you fee? How does it come back to me? I want the metal not the money. PM me. I already know what I have

I’m not the smelter but I do own a processing plant or four.

Fair enough, I have also been receiveing plenty of PMs myself asking for help as know members turned them away. You must of didn't read Hoke's, the fine line. Then you haven't read my posts. I didn't offer a assay service. Had to change my way of service for those not reading and assume I'm offering other line of works.
Stop this now.

You start your reply fine, then you start dragging in things from other posts.
I said nothing regarding assays or Hoke’s book in my reply.
Frankly some of this reply looks like ranting.

Get your act together, if you want to be recognised as a professional start behaving like one.

I had to change my way of service for those not reading and understanding the service I'm offering. Like I said several times. I opened to hear others offers and all in the clients favor. If you can sell for more, please do so. You asked a question about what I use for a collector. I didn't post in the helping section. Make your own post in where it's needed for answers and maybe then I decided to answer your questions and perhaps help you with real answers rather than hear say.
Look in the mirror man.
The moment you created this thread you opened up to questions, and any question relating to the topic at hand is leagal as long as basic rules of courtesy is used.
So is the right not to answer them, with what conclusions people draw from that.

But on the most basic term this text negates the purpose of this forum which is refiners helping each other.
And that include sharing information openly within the law.

Stop this now.

Get your act together, if you want to be recognised as a professional start behaving like one.

Look in the mirror man.
The moment you created this thread you opened up to questions, and any question relating to the topic at hand is leagal as long as basic rules of courtesy is used.
So is the right not to answer them, with what conclusions people draw from that.

But on the most basic term this text negates the purpose of this forum which is refiners helping each other.
And that include sharing information openly within the law.
You are correct, I created this post for a service for helping those not ready for that bigger investment. Known members seen to step in where they don't belong.

Stop this now.

Sorry, just replying to those that respond back. However I'm a professional, not a moron

You are correct, I created this post for a service for helping those not ready for that bigger investment. Known members seen to step in where they don't belong.
Any member belong anywhere they find anything in their interest.
Known or new does not matter.

By being candid and dodging normal questions to the matter you opened this can of worms completely single handed. It could have been defused easily in the couple of first posts by some general information.
Now it is different beast to handle.

Known members seen to step in where they don't belong.
This text I find on the verge of unacceptable, it is in disrespect of the spirit of the forum.
Even if you start a thread, you are not allowed to create your own rules.

Any member belong where they have an interest. Providing they abide by forum rules.

Any member belong anywhere they find anything in their interest.
Known or new does not matter.

By being candid and dodging normal questions to the matter you opened this can of worms completely single handed. It could have been defused easily in the couple of first posts by some general information.
Now it is different beast to handle.

This text I find on the verge of unacceptable, it is in disrespect of the spirit of the forum.
Even if you start a thread, you are not allowed to create your own rules.

Any member belong where they have an interest. Providing they abide by forum rules.
Will try to refrase my original post,

Hello, I have the ability to process small and large amounts ( Yes even 1 if that's all you have) catalytic converters for a fee or a percentage. My process I am able to recover 97 to 99.99 percent of all pgms contained within 1 to 2 days turn around time. Most of the time within the same day.
I have been in the smelting business for over 20 years. Anyone interested in my service, feel free to message me. I can offer a free first time service to anyone interested to build up a relationship.
Hello members new or old school

Last edited:
To Catsmelter- I have a couple of cats I have collected over the years. I am willing to sell them. These are older units, probably pre serial # scrubbers from a now defunct mine. I understand you will recover a high percentage of PGMs, but what percentage do you pay of the recovered metals, and how do you disperse the funds?

I can do the extraction, and return the PM's right back. But if you are interested in selling, what are you asking? I won't need the whole cat, just the comb. We don't know the true value until the extraction or assays on it. Not woth assaying for small scale as I try to get a fast turn around time. If they have values contained, I'll do the recovering.

Perhaps sell the pgms here, for others to refine.

Hello, I have the ability to process small and large amounts ( Yes even 1 if that's all you have) catalytic converters for a fee or a percentage. My process I am able to recover 97 to 99.99 percent of all pgms contained within 1 to 2 days turn around time. Most of the time within the same day.
I have been in the smelting business for over 20 years. Anyone interested in my service, feel free to message me. I can offer a free first time service to anyone interested to build up a relationship.
Perhaps I am a bit late to the conversation, but your sales pitch seems a bit too good to be true. "I can offer a free first time" feels like you are baiting people, but it could be that you're trying to simply do what everyone on here is doing and that's setting up a stream of scrap to get going. I wouldn't think of offering my refining services for free as part of a business model that I would expect to be successful, margins seem to be tight. Also, your refining timeline feels a bit absurdly fast, but then again I haven't attempted PGM recovery from a catalytic converters yet. I doubt that I would be getting my own metal back from you if I asked for you to toll refine for me.

take the time on this thread to introduce yourself, your company and most important discuss your process.
It amazes me that you completely failed at the first thing asked of you. It was a simple three part question, to which you have completely ignored. It's not too late to answer these questions.

We use our in-house specialized smelting operation to extract the values not shared to the public.
Bull-shit meter just hit 100%, you expect to walk into a house full of experts, whether refiners, chemists, assayers, etc, and throw the "it's a secret" card for SAFETY reasons? While I do appreciate your concern for my safety, your excuse for not sharing is abysmal. but you are simply hiding with a statement like that. I've never done catalytic converter recovery, but even something as simple as "We roller mill the honeycomb to 200 mesh and treat via a chlorine leach" would have been acceptable. Listing a link to a process i.e. (see below) would have been great. We are here to share knowledge but then again, you're just looking for metal to work on.

Kell Hydrometallurgical Process

IMORTANT:​

Also, who is "We". What's the name of your company, so I can look you up? Where are you located? How am I going to file taxes for your service.

It takes years, hands on experience on a similar field to understand
You have failed to identify that you have these skills.

Working for/with a refiner under their rules not yours. I am not offering an assay to discuss instruments used. I'm offering my service to extract/ recovery 97 to 99 of all pgms contained in their cats.
More bullshit on your part, it's not rules, it's a business agreement. Also, if you fail to assay or test for metal content, you cannot claim to extract / recovery a percentage, because you have no idea what you had to start with by failing to inventory metal content. If I were to send you a bunch half-soaked eBay cats, you wouldn't have any idea they had already been partially stripped of PGMs.

I have worked for over 20 years with minning companies and few of the biggest compaines well known.
Tack a few names to these "Companies" and what your role was to let us weigh this statement.

Simple here: Im offering extraction for others to refine for resell or learning experience . Now extracted, members here can help or Hoke's book with refining. They can choose either to recover 25 to 40 percent on whats told how to extract it or let me step in and recover 97 to 99 percent of all the values within a days time and shipped back all the pgm values.
Your sales pitch pivoted here. So, you're a glorified nut-cracker now? What do you specifically offer to do? Can you share a copy of your sales agreement with us?

To Palladium (a founding member): Next time don't be to quick to judge. You may be a long time member, but learn to listen and slow to speak. Don't assume.
The arrogance in this statement blows my mind. You are not a humble guest in the slightest. I would refuse to do business with you on this single statement alone.

Correct, it's on me. One can choose for their best interest. I'm offering a service. I can pay for the cats if needed Or a set fee per cat or batch for processing. Customer's choice.
Sales pitch has changed again...

I can process 10 times that amount within a hr. doing it the correct way. I am not advertising the process. Why? Simply because of the safety issues concerns not the average person understands.
Let's see... I've managed to plug leaks in 1-ton Chlorine DOT 106A500X chlorine containers, put out industrial factory fires by dropping 10-tons of liquid CO2 at a Caterpillar Plant in Peoria, IL, worked with all sorts of dangerous chemicals as a Chemistry undergrad, and managed all sorts of ammunition, explosives, etc as an Army Officer. Lived through multiple rocket and direct fire engagements. Have conducted research in super-critical carbon dioxide enantiomer separation and extraction. I find it rather absurd that you demand that we grant you respect as an expert, when you continually act as if this forum is full of first-year chemistry students. The "I won't share an iota of info because of safety reasons" is straight B.S. and undermines your credibility.

Fine I will buy cat's for 15 percent more than what's offered.
Sales pitch changes one more time...

The one cat part got me. I wonder what the rates on that are?
So, what are your pay-out rates? Or is this a call and find-out sort of thing.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I offered either to buy the cats for a bit over the selling price most middle man's pay for. Not the actual precious metals contained. For those that don't have the ability to supply the demand or amount needed for the bigger refineries to take it.
The other offer was for me to extract the values for a set fee regardless if it happens to contain only 1 gram of PM's or for some odd reason it has a kilo of PM's .
Another shift in sales pitch...

Not exactly open to talking to the novices.

catalyticconvertersmelter,

The above is to give you some honest feedback on how you come across that key notes that I a novice refiner/chemist have taken away from your interactions with our respected senior refiners/teachers on this forum. While you may have the skillsets to do as you claim, you lack simple business etiquette and respect for this board's membership and collective knowledge. You hide behind statements and refuse to ask directly asked questions. I will be honest, I would not trust you with my PGM's, because you are not honest up-front in looking for/interacting with potential customers.

This is not eBay or Facebook marketplace. You're asking those of us who do this for hobby, profit, professionally, or otherwise for the most precious thing we have, which is our raw material supplies we use for refining. What's worse from a common sense standpoint is that you fail to address how you will inventory the material that will come into your possession but still promise yield.

I'm not here to thrash you, but perhaps give someone who has too much time close to the sun, a more realistic perspective on how you come across as a potential business partner. I would like to think that the time taken to compile this response is evident of that. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. My parting advice would be, "Be more honest upfront, answer the questions candidly and pointily to your future business partners, and have a bit more respect when walking into the room for those that have been here long before you."

Elemental

Back