catalytic converter smelter (small and large amounts welcome)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1
Decanning is a dusty process and that is often valuable dust as well as a choking dust. The vacuum unit connects to the decanning machines to collect the fines.

The double cone blender is for mixing to get a homogeneous sample for processing. Once there is a sample and the lot is quantified ( as I’m sure the OP here knows) there are pyrometallurgical routes and chemical
routes that different refiners use.

But, critical in the process, is accurate sampling of the powders the process up to the double cone blender provide. Something that some people on this thread didn’t seem anxious to acknowledge.

Excuse me I mis-spoke. The dust collection is an integral part of the decanning machinery. This type of machine can typically de-can 80 cats an hour. The material from here goes into the ball mill and in the system you referenced, from Istanbul, the powder is transferred from the ball mill to the blender to eliminate handling the fine powders.

The material is dropped from the blender into drums and sampled with a sampling tool called a drum thief. This tool is put into the full drum and it extracts a sample from bottom to top.

A drum thief is also called a grain thief as it originally was used to sample freight cars of corn I believe. It is a pointed tool which is a tube within a tube. Both the inner tube and the outer tube have matching oval holes along the entire length. The thief is twisted so the holes are closed and the tool is inserted into the powder. Then the inner tube is twisted so the powder pours in through the holes. It is then twisted shut and removed, effectively sampling the drum top to bottom. This is done for each drum and the samples are blended in a lab for assay. In theory the powders coming out of the double cone blender are homogeneous from the blending but the thief is an additional precaution.

The equipment shown in elementals attachment after the blending is a chemical leach method using a tumbler plant for the extraction.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 6.01.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 6.01.48 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
Important to also note is the amount of moisture a sample can absorb. If the lot is dry when weighed, then the sample is allowed to gain moisture weight prior to analysis, it will dilute the PPM on the sample, and thus decrease the net payable.

When a blended sample is removed from the blender and sampled, an accurately weighed portion of this is dried in a tared pan (usually overnight) and cooled in a desiccator and re weighed. The difference in weight is the moisture lost and it is applied to the entire lot to determine the settlement weight of the lot. This weight, times the assay result, is the content in precious metals of the entire lot.

This same sample (the sample without moisture) is the sample used for assay.

These days there are balances with infrared light which eliminate the overnight we old timers were used to making the moisture content determination in a matter of minutes.

Well I like said i wanted to reply to The guy ,that I now notice was banned ,so I agree, I don't know .als0 dont the reply go to the id i reply to? The error is two sided best I can tell thanx for reminding me .Alot these post are very old too it ok but if these guys not posting in 10 years .alot posters last only a few days i see also they gone.im reading through stuff thanx for now

Well I like said i wanted to reply to The guy ,that I now notice was banned ,so I agree, I don't know .als0 dont the reply go to the id i reply to? The error is two sided best I can tell thanx for reminding me .Alot these post are very old too it ok but if these guys not posting in 10 years .alot posters last only a few days i see also they gone.im reading through stuff thanx for now
You said nothing, just that you are very interested.
If you do not reply to a post it is not obvious who you are directing it to.

Edited spelling

If you expect to get some cats to refine from our members, you should tell us something specific about your capabilities. What type of instrumentation is in your lab, or how you turn this material around in 1 or 2 days. How do you sample small lots, as no refinery I have ever worked with will process a 5 gallon pail of de canned cats? Do you accept loose honeycomb or do you simply pay for intact converters where you can identify the model before decanning?

Sorry to say the "for safety reasons card" won't cut it here. You haven't even told us the name of your business. Here the cloak and dagger act doesn't get very far.
He's hoping someone will contact him directly and send him their cats . Probably never pay them. I mean really he'll accept just one cat? Come on bro😆

Back