cementing in cold temps.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwa

Hi to all, I was wondering what happens when cementing silver with cooper and the ambient temp goes below 50,40, or even 30 degrees?

Most chemical reactions are more vigorous or move much faster with an elevated temperature with more molecular movement means more the ions will collide better with the metal atoms, and making it easier to transfer electrons in the chemical reaction, besides temperature, a larger clean surface area, mechanical stirring or agitation, and the amount of free acid available will also affect the speed of the reaction...

Thanks Butcher, I was trying to figure out if my cold temp in the northwest or if my lead contamination
was the cause of slow cementation.It's hard to let a solution go not being sure you have done what you can.
When I drop a little salt in a test tube and add my solution from the the drop its only slightly cloudy, but when I dump the rest of tube in the bucket it clouds right up. Is this normal?

It is normal if silver is in a solution as an ionic salt, and NaCl has added it for the solution to turn milky or cloudy as AgCl is formed.
Many metal salts are less soluble cold than when in a warmer solution...

Ok, does that mean there may be ag still un-dropped by the copper or the cold? It gets into the 30's in my shop unless I am in there. Should I try treating it as agcl? I kinda get the feeling that what I am seeing is just trace amounts in my tests.I use a 10,000ml beaker to watch the process, its just so cool to see the different color shades as it works.My solution this time around has always been shades of dark green,I'm guessing the lead,minimal filtering and sun is the cause.Sorry Butcher, but my chemistry skills are max'ed out at making kool-aid:)

It could be trace amounts, an argentometry titration would solve your riddle.

https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/media/documents/science-outreach/chloride_mohr.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentometry

The nitrate solution should go from a green to a blue copper nitrate solution once saturated with copper, the free nitric is consumed and most of the metals which are less reactive than copper have been reduced from solution.

For many reactions that occur around room temperature, the rate of reaction doubles for about every 10 deg C rise in temperature.

You can get a heating pad or bucket warmers, or build a little warming cabinet with a thermostatically controlled incandescent lamp...

Thank you very much Butcher, the warmers are a great idea, the links were beyond my equipment and skill set.

Be careful with bucket warmers....make sure you buy the one for plastic buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I was more interested in the heating pad idea since I am using a large beaker.I like to watch whats going on in there.Thats the most intresting part to me

i heat the solution in a large beaker,with copper,as the copper dissolves,one can see the formation of rhodium+gold,silver,palladium,platinum---this way,no base metals are dissolved,because of the electrochemistry series---excellent topic

yes, I learned the importance of that when a smaller one broke while heating

Back