Ceramic headache!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RajunCajun84

Is there any way to remove ceramic bits that can be trapped in the same filters as my pm's or the same ceramic that is physically bound to pms? Ceramic has become a severe pain for me. Even if i have it all ground up, how do i remove it from a solution if i were to separate the values that way?

Do i just mill it all up, then put it all into solution? filter the same as i would fingers?

If I was faced with that problem, I'd simply remove the ceramic in filtration, after dissolving the values. Large pieces can be hand picked, assuming you don't have a huge volume. The balance would go to my waste material, along with the filter, where the ceramic would be eliminated in the furnace, going off in the slag. You would, of necessity, require a rather aggressive flux, one that would reduce your silver chloride and dissolve any silica that was involved.

Harold

I have found that taking the filter and washing its contents into a clean container
with your water spray bottle and then adding HCL and Clorox will dissolve
the little gold flakes trapped in with the filters. That puts that gold into
solution. Then when you filter again the gold which is now in solution
passes through the filter leaving the ceramic pieces behind in the filter.

OR..........................

You could save the filters and incinerate them en masse as per Harold's sage advice. 8)

Great advice. That solves my e-scrap issues. Now what about when the ceramic is in large quantity, and I'm actually dealing with pgm's? Steve's video skipped this tid bit. (Catalyst honeycombs)

As shown in the video you should run the solution from the treated ceramic material (no matter the form) through two stages of filtration:

1. A coarse filtration to remove the bulk of your sediment.
2. A fine filtering setup to remove the fine material that makes it past the coarse filter.

If you still are getting a residual sediment them allow the solution to settle and siphon off the clear liquid.

With large lots you may want to set up some type of filter press or vacuum assisted system.

Steve

A days worth of letting it settle and siphoning it off, is worth two days of trying to filter it fast.

Mark

markqf1 said:
A days worth of letting it settle and siphoning it off, is worth two days of trying to filter it fast.

So very true!

If you have a solution with particulate that takes a few days to settle, just how likely do you think it is that your filter will catch it in a single pass?

Latest posts

Back