Clorox Method

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crgoode

Hi Everyone,
I am still new to recovery/refining and am new to this forum. I have been going through a lot of trial and error. I have got a few methods down and started looking into the Clorox method. Do I still need to get rid of the base metals on CPU pins with this method? or will HCL-CL only react with the gold plate? Once again I am new to this and am trying to minimize my learning curve. Many of you guys are a great wealth of info and enjoy reading through the forums.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

First, read Hoke. Second, safety first and always. Third, do it outside or you will die or be injured. Fourth, dissolve base metals first, isolate the foils, then do Hcl/bleach to dissolve the gold. If you have to ask more after that, refer to "First".

You would think reading is safe, but I have a scar from one of the largest paper cuts to ever happen. (Freak accident)
Correct your base metals will have to be dissolved first or bits of your gold will most likely go into solution and come right back out making a mess..
Its good advice to do as the above mentioned by GotTheBug.
Welcome to the forum. 8)

Hello.
Sorry for my English but I'm still learning.
I'm reading this forum for very long time and came time to first question.
Does instead of bleach can be used pool chlorine in HCl / Cl method ??

Sodium Hypochlorite is what you need if you can get it in Poland- the Americans often use a brand of pool cleaner called Chlorox, so yes is the answer to your question.

sokon said:
Hello.
Sorry for my English but I'm still learning.
I'm reading this forum for very long time and came time to first question.
Does instead of bleach can be used pool chlorine in HCl / Cl method ??

Yes you can use pool chlorine. Either liquid, powder or tablet's (crushed to powder), Sodium hypochlorite. Use the material sparingly.

spaceships said:
Sodium Hypochlorite is what you need if you can get it in Poland- the Americans often use a brand of pool cleaner called Chlorox, so yes is the answer to your question.

Clorox is not used or known as a pool cleaner. It is sold for use in laundry for clothes as a whitener and also as a disinfectant for general cleaning. Clorox is not concentrated strong enough for use on pools.

Barren Realms 007 said:
spaceships said:

Clorox is not used or known as a pool cleaner. It is sold for use in laundry for clothes as a whitener and also as a disinfectant for general cleaning. Clorox is not concentrated strong enough for use on pools.

Ahh my apologies Barren I was under the wrong impression of what it was used for. 8) 8)

I think the confusion is in the terminology, Clorox and chlorine. Chlorine is a chemical and Clorox is most often a brand name.

Close Shark, but not quite mate. I always knew that people in the US used the brand Chlorox for the process- what I got wrong was what it was used for.

Jon

spaceships said:
Close Shark, but not quite mate. I always knew that people in the US used the brand Chlorox for the process- what I got wrong was what it was used for.

Jon

Clorox (brand name) does make pool chemicals as well as house hold cleaning products (and I am sure other items as well). May well be we were both a bit off, :mrgreen:

I think that actually that Clorox is recognized around most of the world as a company name and most people will recognize it that way when it is mentioned. The actual name of it being bleach might not translate well into other languages.

It was an attempt at dry humor as much as the correct terminology. I now realize that the Clorox brand has expanded quite a bit more than I thought. In any case, I will keep my mouth shut from now on.

Nah you're good Shark - and I don't think the reply to your post was meant in any bad way either 8) 8)

Using brand names for chemical names is okay as long as the brand name is a universal name. Muriatic acid is a chemical name and a brand name for hydrochloric acid (HCl). If one were to use the chemical name of sodium hypochlorite, some may not know that household bleach is an aqueous solution of sodium hypochlorite but a search for sodium hypochlorite will bring up all of the brand names for the chemical. I guess that's why some of my post are such long winded affairs, trying to get all of the tiny tidbits in there.

jason_recliner said:
We don't have Clorox brand in Australia. No one I ask has ever heard of it.
Took me about 30 seconds...
Maybe this will help
http://www.domestos.com.au/cleaning-products/new-multi-usage-bleach/

Göran

g_axelsson said:
jason_recliner said:
Maybe this will help

Göran

Sorry Gøran but this is not Clorox brand. It is domestos. Wich we acctually have in Norway to.
But we don't have any brand named Clorox. We have klorin.

Jon

g_axelsson said:
jason_recliner said:
Maybe this will help

Göran
I think everyone here has Domestos. But it's not Clorox though.
Once I finally established what was meant by the product, I started using our White King. But before that, the Clorox name Googled up something like 30 different products.
Edit: Many of them would probably work too, including Domestos. But they all have different additives, and who wants to mix unknown additives with hydrochloric acid? Not me.

My point is merely that the Clorox name is not as universal as some might think. If you don't know you're meant to be looking for bleach, even "HCl/Cl" doesn't help much either. To those who understand, it's plain, but from the outside it's another language.

Back