Copper cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickzeien

I am beginning some trials on electowinning copper.

Here is a picture to get us started.

I will fill in the details including the cost of each item I used.20200425_131113.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah! A new series of posts from rickzeien, this is going to be good! :D

Is it electrowinning (using an inert anode) or electrorefining (using a copper anode)?

What electrolyte are you using? It looks like copper sulfate.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Oh yeah! A new series of posts from rickzeien, this is going to be good! :D

Is it electrowinning (using an inert anode) or electrorefining (using a copper anode)?

What electrolyte are you using? It looks like copper sulfate.

Göran
It is for copper. I am using copper sulfate.

I just rigged up a plastic box to hold copper shot (that's in the anode bag] and used a folded up piece of scrap titanium mesh to make contact.

I ordered some used titanium anode baskets from a surplus plating equipment supplier. After I modify them, I will be using them as I move forward.

Here is a picture of the copper button I made the shot out of.

Weighs 278 grams.

The copper and silver pyramid are for a side by side comparison of silver and copper collector.

The long triangle bar was a trial pored of silver chrystal from a thumb cell I have. I am testing the idea of using a long angle iron mold. Then I can calculate the grams per inch or centimeters and cut off the appropriate collector metal weight for my smelting recipe

More later!

20200420_165545.jpg

So I went to Walmart to buy some Muslin cloth. (Learned about it here on the forum) bought 2 yards for $22. Might have been a little less.

While I was there the lady that help me find it told me she does sewing on the side. She made me 4 bags that were double layer with draw strings for $20. (She provided the material)

Next I taped off near the bottom and sprayed with Flex Seal. Cost was about a $ 1 per bag.

I think the industry calls these Crap Trap bags.

So about $ 6 per anode bag.20200425_131037.jpg20200426_085305.jpg

Funny, I pictured you as a lot of things. Geologist, Chemist, Metal Fabricator, Welder, Movie Producer, Photographer, Innovator, Businessman and Entrepreneur. But not as a Walmart shopper (maybe online purchases only when necessary) and the fact that you found a seamstress to complete your project is cool and is a compliment to your Statesmanship. very MacGyver esque!!! Nice looking "Cell" by the way.

markscomp said:
Funny, I pictured you as a lot of things. Geologist, Chemist, Metal Fabricator, Welder, Movie Producer, Photographer, Innovator, Businessman and Entrepreneur. But not as a Walmart shopper (maybe online purchases only when necessary) and the fact that you found a seamstress to complete your project is cool and is a compliment to your Statesmanship. very MacGyver esque!!! Nice looking "Cell" by the way.
I am not a very good Walmart shopper. I usually only buy 1 thing there when I go. I only buy what I came for then get out.

This is a video of the tanks I am using. I bought them from US Plastics in Lima, OH.

I paid $100.00 for plus shipping.

It hold sc 10 gallons of electrolyte and has ample space for 1 anode plate (or a basket as I am going to try) and w cathode plates. (More on these in another post.

https://youtu.be/MLbGNkkbxeE

geedigity said:
That was youtube was funny. After a second or two, I realized it wasn't going to be the video clip that I always enjoyed seeing of your progress on setting up your operation.
I got lazy. Soon more videos from me. I promise. Just short clips. No feature length films. LOL Thanks for watching!

You overpaid for your anode bags...by about $4 / bag IIRC

I know you are just testing, but good to know for the future.

anodeproducts.com They have a low minimum too.

Actually I bought 25 bags for 13.00 on Amazon. Flex Seal will probably come in at less than .50 cents.

https://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Natural-Drawstring-Celestial-Gifts/dp/B004ZEAH1E

So all in about a buck a bag. But I wanted them that day.

I will check out anodeproducts.com

Thanks

I'm more interested in an assaying the anode slimes you produce!

You've basically loaded up for bear/moose/elephant down there and I want to see if the juice is worth the squeeze!!

Lou said:
I'm more interested in an assaying the anode slimes you produce!

You've basically loaded up for bear/moose/elephant down there and I want to see if the juice is worth the squeeze!!
I know right. But I probably will not be posting the assay (s) any time soon.

I sure you understand.

markscomp said:
one can never get to many opinions on metal
at least that's what I read into the previous post
Mark
Absolutely. Lou has given me lots of advise and guidance. He has also done a couple of assays for me as well as pointed me in the right direction for some of my equipment purchases.

I find it amazing that Lou and others have shared the information and knowledge they have.

Back