copper palladium nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikro

I have a solution of copper silver palladium nitrate
Is there a chance to separate them using caustic soda
In other words if i rise the ph of the solution to a certain value the copper hydroxide will precipitate then i filter it leaving behind silver and palladium nitrate solution then i rise the ph to a higher certain value the palladium hydroxide will precipitate leaving behind silver nitrate and so on
Can any one help me with this topic and if its practical method to separate the metals from nitrate solution
Thank you
Regards
If its green as u mention palladium. My hypothesis is to add dmg and vacuum fibulate it green shall turn blue if add enough dmg then blue is copper solution if you dont have neutralized atoms of hydrogen an nitrogen then add hci to form silver chloride. May only need dissolve some urea in copper solution to readequate hydrogen and nitrogen atoms. Then silver chloride is ready for last part as u wanted to add Sodium for ph. U need Sodium for the silver.

Your suggestion will most likely get you in trouble.

I'd suggest:
1st - HCl to precipitate AgCl
2nd - Ammonum Formate reduction of Pd
2nd (alternative) - Precipitate Pd with DMG
So i got 7000ml of copper solution but turned green when added hci spark silver chloride to green solution. cos i think too much nitric. I can follow your suggestion too I shouldnt just add urea after dmg as it will neutralize nitric and hci i think hci defenitely neutralize the nitric. I may need ammonium formate though..

If its green as u mention palladium. My hypothesis is to add dmg and vacuum fibulate it green shall turn blue if add enough dmg then blue is copper solution if you dont have neutralized atoms of hydrogen an nitrogen then add hci to form silver chloride. May only need dissolve some urea in copper solution to readequate hydrogen and nitrogen atoms. Then silver chloride is ready for last part as u wanted to add Sodium for ph. U need Sodium for the silver.
Please do not use text lingo here.
There are many that rely on translators to get the meaning of the messages.

So i got 7000ml of copper solution but turned green when added hci spark silver chloride to green solution. cos i think too much nitric. I can follow your suggestion too I shouldnt just add urea after dmg as it will neutralize nitric and hci i think hci defenitely neutralize the nitric. I may need ammonium formate though..
Get your chemicals in order.
When dealing with dangerous things like chemicals, one need to be precise to ensure, what you do, have the desired effect or even worse don’t create an accident. Much of what you say, do not make sense. But it may be inaccuracies, so please straighten up your precision in language.

Im sorry I was stating i neutralized hydrogen and nitrogen atoms from the copper solution so when i added the hci, instead of forming silver chloride it turned to green chloroform.

Your right and i appologize, i should right more clearly so the whole of people can understand..

There is no such thing as hci, it is :
HCl as H --> hydrogen and Cl --> chlorine and in chemistry upper and lower case matter.

You need to understand these things, in order to be able to relay good information to others.
I am at the moment at a loss.
Are you understanding what you say and write or are you just sloppy?
Both of these things may go really wrong when dealing with chemical processes.

Fibulating is what a scared weasel or squirrel does inside a small room turning everything upside down.
Not recommended in chemistry either.

Edit to add:

More reading, less fibulating are recommended. ;)

Last edited:
Can we put a vote button on mikro's posts before they're released into the wild?
Ten times more go's than hold's should be the limit for a release.

@ mikro: go study the english language first before sharing your knowledge.

Yes that may sound harsh, but someone that states he should write more clearly and then leaves such a message, talking about neutralizing hydrogen atoms...

Coffee...

Mikro - the first thing I want to say is ----- you do know that the mask you are waring will NOT protect you from the TOXIC fumes of working with acids &/or dissolving metals with acid

It may look cool - but it is NOT protecting you from the TOXIC fumes

Why ???? --- read the following ---------

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...gold-recovery-and-refining.30777/#post-322682
And as well read this --------

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/best-mask-available.13394/page-2#post-322689
If its green as u mention palladium.
Just because a solution is green does not mean there is palladium in it --- there are MANY metals &/or combinations of metals that can/will make a solution green --- that is why we test solutions with stannous chloride - you make NO mention of testing with stannous chloride

Do you know what stannous chloride is - & if you do - do you actually know how to use/test with it --- I ask because - unless you actually know what you are looking for in the test results you can get "false" positive test results which can/will result in chasing after metals that in fact are not there

Im speaking from videos myself

Let me put it this way - With everything you have posted so far you have clearly been watching WAY to many YouTube videos - done by people that have little or no actual clue about the recovery & refining of PMs (Precious Metals) --- that has resulted in your head being filled with wrong &/or mis-information &/or bad advice

Please understand that I am not trying to put you down here - it just that it is very clear - by what & how you have been posting - you still have A LOT to learn --- in fact - likely have "a lot" to un-learn before you move forward with actual learning - much let alone attempt to be a teacher

The "good news" is that you have just joined the worlds very best forum about the discussion of recovery & refining of PMs --- this Forum was originally started by a small group of "actual" refiners - refiners that ether had their own LARGE scale refineries - or worked as the lead chemist in LARGE WORLD CLASS refineries - &/or were consultants/advisers for LARGE world class refineries

As a result of the discussions &/or sharing of information (in the early days) by these world class refiners there has been a large number of people here - that though they only work at a hobby level - have in fact become real pros in their ability to teach - as well there are others - that as a result of the info passed on by these early day "real pros" have taken what started out as a hobby & turned it into small &/or mid size for profit refineries of their own

If you really want to learn about this - you need to step back (stop both what you are doing & certainly what you are posting) - & start doing A LOT of research here on this forum

You need to start looking for things posted by members like 4metals, GSP, Lou, Harold_V, nickvc, palladium, butcher (just to name a FEW) --- there are MANY others on this forum that are TRUE teachers

You can tell who the true teachers are by looking at two things (1) how long they have been a member (when they first joined) & (2) How may postings they have posted

When you see a member (whether they have been here for a short time or a longtime) & you see several hundred to a 1,000 or more posting with their name - you can bet they know what they are talking about

I hope you will take my advice (& stop posting until you actually learn what the hell you are talking about)
& welcome to the worlds very best source of information about the recovery & refining of PMs

Kurt

Mikro - the first thing I want to say is ----- you do know that the mask you are waring will NOT protect you from the TOXIC fumes of working with acids &/or dissolving metals with acid

It may look cool - but it is NOT protecting you from the TOXIC fumes

Why ???? --- read the following ---------

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...gold-recovery-and-refining.30777/#post-322682
And as well read this --------

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/best-mask-available.13394/page-2#post-322689

Just because a solution is green does not mean there is palladium in it --- there are MANY metals &/or combinations of metals that can/will make a solution green --- that is why we test solutions with stannous chloride - you make NO mention of testing with stannous chloride

Do you know what stannous chloride is - & if you do - do you actually know how to use/test with it --- I ask because - unless you actually know what you are looking for in the test results you can get "false" positive test results which can/will result in chasing after metals that in fact are not there

Let me put it this way - With everything you have posted so far you have clearly been watching WAY to many YouTube videos - done by people that have little or no actual clue about the recovery & refining of PMs (Precious Metals) --- that has resulted in your head being filled with wrong &/or mis-information &/or bad advice

Please understand that I am not trying to put you down here - it just that it is very clear - by what & how you have been posting - you still have A LOT to learn --- in fact - likely have "a lot" to un-learn before you move forward with actual learning - much let alone attempt to be a teacher

The "good news" is that you have just joined the worlds very best forum about the discussion of recovery & refining of PMs --- this Forum was originally started by a small group of "actual" refiners - refiners that ether had their own LARGE scale refineries - or worked as the lead chemist in LARGE WORLD CLASS refineries - &/or were consultants/advisers for LARGE world class refineries

As a result of the discussions &/or sharing of information (in the early days) by these world class refiners there has been a large number of people here - that though they only work at a hobby level - have in fact become real pros in their ability to teach - as well there are others - that as a result of the info passed on by these early day "real pros" have taken what started out as a hobby & turned it into small &/or mid size for profit refineries of their own

If you really want to learn about this - you need to step back (stop both what you are doing & certainly what you are posting) - & start doing A LOT of research here on this forum

You need to start looking for things posted by members like 4metals, GSP, Lou, Harold_V, nickvc, palladium, butcher (just to name a FEW) --- there are MANY others on this forum that are TRUE teachers

You can tell who the true teachers are by looking at two things (1) how long they have been a member (when they first joined) & (2) How may postings they have posted

When you see a member (whether they have been here for a short time or a longtime) & you see several hundred to a 1,000 or more posting with their name - you can bet they know what they are talking about

I hope you will take my advice (& stop posting until you actually learn what the hell you are talking about)
& welcome to the worlds very best source of information about the recovery & refining of PMs

Kurt
Yes i know what stannous testing is but in video the green chloroform was from cemented silver shot copper, silver refining filters. Again i should post like you to give awarance thank you for posting. But copper is a main base metal too. Thank you for giving awarance. I appreciate the post on the page.. I figured it is what is and your right..Could be deadly mixing chemicals. Ura works. Nitrogen cook down in water hydrogen form from cooked down nitrogen and cheaper if works but is just hypothesis..Thank you all for your posts.

Yes i know what stannous testing is but in video the green chloroform was from cemented silver shot copper, silver refining filters. Again i should post like you to give awarance thank you for posting. But copper is a main base metal too. Thank you for giving awarance. I appreciate the post on the page.. I figured it is what is and your right..Could be deadly mixing chemicals. Ura works. Nitrogen cook down in water hydrogen form from cooked down nitrogen and cheaper if works but is just hypothesis..Thank you all for your posts.
Outside or in fume hood will be fine too much any fume get in.. thank you again. Is a respirator mask cost 40 to 50 bucks. But thank you..unless use an oxygen tank mask as you wish. Thank you

Ammonia is just nitrogen and hydrogen but hydrize water with nitrogen again hypothesis may work i would do same ammonium formate in seperate beaker with water melt salts down.

There is no such thing as hci, it is :
HCl as H --> hydrogen and Cl --> chlorine and in chemistry upper and lower case matter.

You need to understand these things, in order to be able to relay good information to others.
I am at the moment at a loss.
Are you understanding what you say and write or are you just sloppy?
Both of these things may go really wrong when dealing with chemical processes.

Fibulating is what a scared weasel or squirrel does inside a small room turning everything upside down.
Not recommended in chemistry either.

Edit to add:

More reading, less fibulating are recommended. ;)
Thank you for the realization of upper and lower case letters and meaning of..Yes i text language complicated to slow speed and upper + lower case in chemical posts. Im still learning and I realize now thank you for the help in understanding..I wouldnt want someone to get hurt i'm sorry.. Yggdrasil.. asgard. Thanks for watching.. re: Casper Asgard.

I agree, If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Point taken. Fair enough. I just did not see a way to constructively reply to all his confusion as he just seems to keep adding.
Others, we just advise to stop for now and study certain fields.

Kurt's reply is by far the best one. Hat's off!
Now I'll go be quiet ;), growing back some patience and tolerance.

Martin, as far as I am concerned, you have been a part of the solution.

Maybe it's one of those symptoms of gold fever, where someone was watching too much youtube and found a new language and begins preaching his new religion in the strange new tongue he does not understand.

I for one would be impressed if someone made so much of a mess that instead of their desired product they produced green chloroform!

I'm trying to imagine how this might happen. It would probably involve mixing acetone or ethanol with bleach, but even then the chloroform layer that comes out is normally clear. Maybe some green organic gunk gets in and gets extracted into the chloroform?

I for one would be impressed if someone made so much of a mess that instead of their desired product they produced green chloroform!

I'm trying to imagine how this might happen. It would probably involve mixing acetone or ethanol with bleach, but even then the chloroform layer that comes out is normally clear. Maybe some green organic gunk gets in and gets extracted into the chloroform?
Or maybe chloro part from the complex ended up in the wrong place and as a result changed form into Chloroform.
It would not be useful in this state but did not mind because it was in a completely new form.

We can humorize this, but I'm confused why an apparently English speaking person would do these things if even close to sober.

We have a saying back home that comes close to this:
You should not smoke your socks, you would not remember where they have been.

Mixing accetone with bleach could be nasty operation :) Making nearly volcanic eruption, if you do not cool the canister of bleach well :D
Only green solutions that I encountered in 8 years as organic chemist are of aromatic nitroso derivatives like nitrosobenzene, and then solutions with unstable nitrous acid (HNO2) - these often have greenish tint. But without any metal salt, I do not know any green stuff which you could make by mixing publicly accessible chemicals. Aside of intentionally prepared dyies, like in PCBs or soda :)

Back