copper palladium nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was figuring it would be something like a green pigment from paint, or from PCBs or other plastics. It could also be from chlorophyll in plant leaves - a quick google reveals that chloroform-methanol mixtures are popular for extracting it. Perhaps a little bit of whatever our friend was smoking ended up in his beaker. ;)

As for acetone and bleach, I made up a few batches of chloroform and also bromoform when I was learning chemistry, about 50 mL at a time. I learned to always cool the bleach bottle down to 0 C or less before adding the acetone. Still my clothes from the time were noticeable for two things: bleach stains from haloform experiments and holes from sulfuric acid droplets. :LOL:

I for one would be impressed if someone made so much of a mess that instead of their desired product they produced green chloroform!

I'm trying to imagine how this might happen. It would probably involve mixing acetone or ethanol with bleach, but even then the chloroform layer that comes out is normally clear. Maybe some green organic gunk gets in and gets extracted into the chloroform?

It reminds me of a comedy bit where the comic was talking about how being a coroner would be a dream job. If absolutely everything goes wrong what’s the worst that would happen, the patient comes back to life? 😃

I wondered the same thing. The chemicals he was using would not in any way lead to making chloroform. I can only assume he was talking about Chlorophyll, just in reference to it’s green color? Or did he think he actually made chlorophyll? If so, that’s another big misinterpretation on his part.

It reminds me of a comedy bit where the comic was talking about how being a coroner would be a dream job. If absolutely everything goes wrong what’s the worst that would happen, the patient comes back to life? 😃

I wondered the same thing. The chemicals he was using would not in any way lead to making chloroform. I can only assume he was talking about Chlorophyll, just in reference to it’s green color? Or did he think he actually made chlorophyll? If so, that’s another big misinterpretation on his part.
We probably waste our time finding out something, what is only in his head :)

Back