Cupeling silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natez

I have mostly silver powder from reverse electroplating and I go to cupel it and some times it works great I get the sprouts on top of the silver button and everything but sometimes it ends up like the first photo I want more of the second… I use Portland cement, led and a propane or map gas torch any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 18DF39E1-5A11-491D-9CD0-B020016102F9.jpeg
    18DF39E1-5A11-491D-9CD0-B020016102F9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 7E7312A9-BCF0-49C4-A16E-C0066DA359F7.jpeg
    7E7312A9-BCF0-49C4-A16E-C0066DA359F7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I have mostly silver powder from reverse electroplating and I go to cupel it and some times it works great I get the sprouts on top of the silver button and everything but sometimes it ends up like the first photo I want more of the second… I use Portland cement, led and a propane or map gas torch any help would be appreciated
What is the reason for the "Cupelling"?
If it is to purify the Silver then a Silver cell, dropping as Chloride or Cementing are better alternatives.

The photo of the gray material in your palm looks like sinstered or partially fused metal to me and not fully melted. Was your melt fully liquid before you removed the heat source?

Steve

The photo of the gray material in your palm looks like sinstered or partially fused metal to me and not fully melted. Was your melt fully liquid before you removed the heat source?

Steve
Yes it was I could try heating it more when the cupelling so done

Can you post a bit more on your reverse electroplating and the form your silver has after.
And also the reasoning for the cupel.
It is a very large cupel that needs massive amount if heat.

I’m just thinking it could be either melted directly or dissolved in Nitric and either cemented or converted to Chloride.
That should be significantly cheaper.

What is the reason for the "Cupelling"?
If it is to purify the Silver then a Silver cell, dropping as Chloride or Cementing are better alternatives.
After I am done with reverse electroplating I cupel just to get anything left I start out with mostly copper
Can you post a bit more on your reverse electroplating and the form your silver has after.
And also the reasoning for the cupel.
It is a very large cupel that needs massive amount if heat.

I’m just thinking it could be either melted directly or dissolved in Nitric and either cemented or converted to Chloride.
That should be significantly cheaper.
First one is the silver powder after I dry it out the second is the reverse electroplating… for the cupel I use an old broken crucible fill it with Portland cement smooth it into a dish and ad some led and the silver powder and torch it until it flashes to the bright red silvery color with no more droplets running off

Attachments

• 2931F3A0-E66E-4758-B6B0-6C18E7AF81BC.jpeg
    2931F3A0-E66E-4758-B6B0-6C18E7AF81BC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 784BBECD-3338-4345-B4BD-19C56B619652.jpeg
    784BBECD-3338-4345-B4BD-19C56B619652.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
After I am done with reverse electroplating I cupel just to get anything left I start out with mostly copper

First one is the silver powder after I dry it out the second is the reverse electroplating… for the cupel I use an old broken crucible fill it with Portland cement smooth it into a dish and ad some led and the silver powder and torch it until it flashes to the bright red silvery color with no more droplets running off
What kind of material is this?

Do you have proper fume control?

Try putting a hot cover over it when it is done cupeling. This helps to keep Oxygen off of it. The tightest, low profile you can get. Looks like you still have some Copper left. Do you add any Lead?

Oops, sorry, do see you add led, how much?
I just tried again and I think ( hope) that it was that I had to much led and the cement could not consume it all

Not really familiar with how much Portland will absorb. I purchase pre made cupels, which come with a weight of absorption specification. Always good to go bigger cupel, so you don't have to transfer to another, to finish.

One of the fastest methods, as Yggdrasil stated, would be to dissolve the material in nitric acid, drop the silver out with HCl, then reduce to silver metal by one of various techniques.

Or you could set up a silver cell with silver nitrate as the electrolyte.

Back