• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Custom Jewelry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldman94

Does anyone know of anywhere that would be able to make a custom gold link necklace in the states?

I'm sure your local jeweler would know someone if not him/herself. It will probably cost a pretty penny... Do you have a sketch made up of what you want? Maybe someone on the forum would like the work...

I'm just looking for a regular chain link necklace. I've watched some videos on how it's done and its very meticulous and time consuming and I don't have the patience for all that lol. I also don't have any room to put the stuff needed for it either

Finding someone to make a chain like that is going to be very difficult. It's all made by machines these days. Even when I was in the jewelry business decades ago, it was almost all machine made. The machines turn that stuff out so fast that no jeweler can compete. If you find someone that can actually make it, the price will likely be much higher than buying a machine made version.

Dave

When I was in the jewellery business I had loads of hand made chain made especially graduated red and yellow gold alberts but that was before the gold price made it very hard to sell them. There was and probably still are several businesses in the UK that can make them but as Dave said it will not be cheap, if you supply the gold wire then probably around $3 a gram depending on the weight to make it plus shipping.
An internet search may find the people who can do this but not sure there’s many if any in the US these days.

This video is a bit dated but shows the competition for hand made chains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2e7X26C0BQ
I'm sure that modern machines are even faster.

Göran

Maybe these guys can help. You'll see why custom costs so much though. A ton of work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GNwiV6cx6s

goldenchild said:
Maybe these guys can help. You'll see why custom costs so much though. A ton of work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GNwiV6cx6s

I actually just watched that video the other day. I wish I could do that :(

nickvc said:
When I was in the jewellery business I had loads of hand made chain made especially graduated red and yellow gold alberts but that was before the gold price made it very hard to sell them. There was and probably still are several businesses in the UK that can make them but as Dave said it will not be cheap, if you supply the gold wire then probably around $3 a gram depending on the weight to make it plus shipping.
An internet search may find the people who can do this but not sure there’s many if any in the US these days.

$3/gram seems dirt cheap. Is that a typo?

Sno no it was a lot less than that when I was using them but I did ship volume and paid on the nail, many of the graduated alberts were made very recently each stamped on every link like the originals, once you have the necessary tools it’s not too difficult or too expensive so along as you have volume going through the process a bit like refining, it’s all down to the cost versus the return 8)

I'm a jeweler - in most cases like your request we simply take your gold as trade in - there is no need to make a custom chain unless its not readily available and the client is will to pay to have it made.

I will say its much more important to buy from a reputable jeweler than to be sold a bill of goods with no warranty and under karat gold-

Your gold unless its bullion will be applied as scrap and if you have more than what the chain costs you get money back if not then you will pay the difference.

Chain prices not only include the price of gold but also manufacturing costs and profit. So you will not be able to trade in X oz for an X ox chain,

GOG

Goldman94 said:
Does anyone know of anywhere that would be able to make a custom gold link necklace in the states?

You will probably end up with the knowledge that it would be cheaper to fly to Thailand or India and have it made there. Not a to bad solution. You get your necklace and a nice vacation for the same money as if have it done in US or Europe. In addition to this you will own a uniqe hand made necklace and not a mass produced product from the fashion industry.

actually I would do this.. because it's a hobby of mine, but all of the above comments are true and I also suggest just buying a chain or flying to thailand to buy one cheaper. I'm just a random person on the internet so there would be no stamp on the chain and it will be treated as karat scrap anywhere + all of the other dangers of buying something so valuable and expensive from a random unlicensed stranger

Back