Dissolved Gold in HCL and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiogoldfever

I happened across a Sreetips video today where he was re refining some gold powder (4th time I believe) with Hot HCL and peroxide. Seemed like it worked well for him and required only a few dollars of chemical for the process.

I’m curious if anyone sees a reason I should not try this method on Foils that I have liberated from pins using AP?

At this point my foils have been filtered, rinsed and are stored in a straight HCL bath. They should be free of everything that is not alloyed with the gold at this point.

Seems straight forward enough. I have been stock piling my foils until I acquired some nitric though this method may eliminate the need for the nitric acid.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I believe the order from fastest to slowest oxidizer is nitric acid, hypochlorite (bleach), peroxide. But it depends. If you use high percentage peroxide it can be faster than common bleach. But be careful. High percentage peroxide is very hazardous.

Dave

To add to what Dave has posted with small particles and foils you really do not need nitric to dissolve your gold, save it for processing things such as karat scrap or silver, the only downside is larger volumes of solution.

FrugalRefiner said:
I believe the order from fastest to slowest oxidizer is nitric acid, hypochlorite (bleach), peroxide. But it depends. If you use high percentage peroxide it can be faster than common bleach. But be careful. High percentage peroxide is very hazardous.

Dave

Thank you Dave. I am aware of the hazards pertaining to higher percentage Hydrogen Peroxide. I would intend to use 3%. That is the most cost effective and readily available.

I am not in a hurry, I find life is far less stressful when you’re taking things slower when you can.

nickvc said:
To add to what Dave has posted with small particles and foils you really do not need nitric to dissolve your gold, save it for processing things such as karat scrap or silver, the only downside is larger volumes of solution.

Thanks for the reply Nick.

Makes good sense to me.

Back