Dissolving Titanium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, yes, I tried that. It works, but very slowly, as in many hours and still not even half way. The Ti here is in oxide form, as Ilmenite (FeTiO3). It is like a volcanic glass.

Thank you, yes, I tried that. It works, but very slowly, as in many hours and still not even half way. The Ti here is in oxide form, as Ilmenite (FeTiO3). It is like a volcanic glass.
When you say Titanium we assume Titanium metal. Not ore.
Have you had an assay done?
You can be in dangerous territory now.

I've made TiCl3 numerous times by dissolving Grade 2 Ti sheet metal without any surface preparation or oxide layer issues. Start the reaction with gentle heat until the Ti begins to fizz and the solution goes violet/purple. At this point I cut the heat off, cover the beaker and come back in the AM to a beautiful deep purple solution of TiCl3. I decant the purple liquid off any sediments into a air tight storage container.

Steve

Volcanic glass, like most minerals, dissolves extremely slowly in acid.

If you only have a small amount to test, we've gotten good results by fusing the glass or mineral in an equal mass of molten Na2CO3 or NaOH. This cools to a very sodium-rich glass that rapidly disintegrates in warm HCl, and slowly disintegrates even in boiling water.

(Molten Na2CO3 or NaOH need to be treated with appropriate care, of course! We use a small graphite melting dish and a torch, since ceramic melting dishes will dissolve.)

Back