Dnox and soduim metabisulphite

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard

Good day all

I am new to the forum and gold refining.

I have read CM Hoke book and i cant seem to find any thing on what to do if you have added SMB to a not completely dnoxed AR solution. And how to remove SMB to further Dnox and then add SMB again.

I am not realy refining gold but instead i am using AR to get the gold out of the soil because of the gold particles being microscopic.

I made the AR solution as per recommended mixture and slightly heated it to speed up reaction with gold containing soil. As i live in South Africa not all chemicals are readily available so i have to evaporate the AR solution down to remove excess Nitric which i do 3 times.

The next step is to cool and then to add SMB to AR solution, and here is where i am having some difficulties. Nothing is precipitating out of AR.

The question i have is how do i get SMB out of my AR solution so i can further Dnox AR as i think that is my problem.

I trust i have joined the right forum for this question.

Have you performed a stannous test to see if you even have gold in solution?...

Don't rely on the color of the solution, there are a couple metals that when dissolved can produce a yellow/orange color.

As far as denoxing, Sulfamic acid is the preferred choice. It's usually sold here in the US as grout and tile cleaner.

61XMh3QIBYL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Good day all

I have read CM Hoke book and i cant seem to find any thing on what to do if you have added SMB to a not completely dnoxed AR solution. And how to remove SMB to further Dnox and then add SMB again.

I am not realy refining gold but instead i am using AR to get the gold out of the soil because of the gold particles being microscopic.

I made the AR solution as per recommended mixture and slightly heated it to speed up reaction with gold containing soil. As i live in South Africa not all chemicals are readily available so i have to evaporate the AR solution down to remove excess Nitric which i do 3 times.

The next step is to cool and then to add SMB to AR solution, and here is where i am having some difficulties. Nothing is precipitating out of AR.

The question i have is how do i get SMB out of my AR solution so i can further Dnox AR as i think that is my problem.

I trust i have joined the right forum for this questi
If SO2 smell is felt, there is no gold or very little. Give it more time

Don't rely on the color of the solution, there are a couple metals that when dissolved can produce a yellow/orange color.

As far as denoxing, Sulfamic acid is the preferred choice. It's usually sold here in the US as grout and tile cleaner.

View attachment 57235

View attachment 57235

View attachment 57235
Good day eaglekeeper

Yes i have done stannous test and there is gold.

I have looked for the sulfamic acid in the hardware and tilling shops here but no luck.

I have to order it from chemical suppliers and as i am only starting with this money is still a bit tight.

Do you know what to do to remove SMB and further Dnox AR solution. Is that even possible.

Good day all

Welcome to us.
First of all, use proper language when dealing with Chemistry.
No such thing as dnox, it is deNOx as in removing NOx components from the solution.
If you do not overuse the Nitric it should not be a problem.

Secondly, using AR for ores and extracting from soil is a loosing propsition, there is a reason the big companies don't use it.
Read more on good approaches in this forum, usually it is Cyanides, but they are deadly if not treated correctly.

Study this before you continue using chemicals.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/post-327766

Good day eaglekeeper

I have looked for the sulfamic acid in the hardware and tilling shops here but no luck.

I have to order it from chemical suppliers and as i am only starting with this money is still a bit tight.

Do you know what to do to remove SMB and further Dnox AR solution. Is that even possible.
SMB can not be removed as it is water soluble until saturation.
Cement out the Gold on Copper bars.

Good day eaglekeeper

I have never used sulfamic to denox. I don't have it and don't need it. I avoid adding too much HNO3.
If your stannous test shows result and it stays visible, no denoxing needed imo.
No budget required for things you don't need to buy.

I have never used sulfamic to denox. I don't have it and don't need it. I avoid adding too much HNO3.
If your stannous test shows result and it stays visible, no denoxing needed imo.
No budget required for things you don't need to buy.
The OPs issues are not easily solved that way.
He is using premixed AR on Gold bearing mud/soil, which is not a good solution.
Neither the premixed AR nor the use on soil/ore.

Good day all

You really need to rethink your process totally.

The OPs issues are not easily solved that way.
He is using premixed AR on Gold bearing mud/soil, which is not a good solution.
Neither the premixed AR nor the use on soil/ore.

I know. i wanted to stop him from buying things he does not need, having a tight budget.

Best options are already given: precipitate with SMB uses up the Nitric or "when in doubt cement it out" or "add more gold"

Solving his current problem begins with understanding the cause and so avoiding the next. He might repeat it before solving the last mistake.

Back