Dropping gold problems with SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok - just went & looked at the last pictures you posted (showing stannous test) - (first time around I didn't really look at the pics - just read the post)

From what I see (stannous test) MOST of the gold has dropped with only a "trace" of gold left in the solution - likely due to a "small" amount of chlorine still in solution

This is based on the "last" pic that shows a clear beaker/solution - with a "very" slight purple "trace'" indicator for gold (stannous) test

I would put it on a hot plate to try to drive off any "trace" of remaining chlorine - which (once remaining chlorine is gone) should drop the remaining "trace of gold --- test with stannous every so often (while on heat) should tell you when the chlorine has been driven off & the remaining "trace" of gold has dropped

Again (according to the last pic) MOST of your gold has dropped with only a "trace" remaining in solution - there just wasn't as much gold in "that" solution as you thought

When all else fails - cement with copper

Kurt

Thanks Kurt! When I checked on it 30 minutes ago there was no color change after testing it with stannous! So the very acidic solution dropped all of the gold after about 24 hours. I gander due to the leftover chlorine.

What I did next is I decanted all but 100ml of solution added 50ml of HCL and dissolved the gold again with 50ml of bleach. I then filtered the solution, heated it up on the hotplate and took it off to gas off the chlorine.

I did buy new SMB today as suggested so I figured I would see if I can get a much better drop.

I was hoping after heating it and leaving it uncovered for 15 minutes it would give it adequate time to remove the chlorine. But after seeing the gold taking so long to drop due to excess chlorine in solution the last time maybe it's best to give it until tonight to drop.

I tested the once red solution and it still shows orange. Last night after giving the test a an hour the orange went away to colorless.

Attachments

• 20200704_113234.jpg
    20200704_113234.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 174
  • 20200704_114740.jpg
    20200704_114740.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 174
  • 20200704_114735.jpg
    20200704_114735.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 174
  • 20200704_121213.jpg
    20200704_121213.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 174
Here's the new SMB and also a picture of a test I took of the once red solution a minute before uploading. Also beside it is the solution the test came from, also the smaller jar which I took from that solution which I doubled it with HCL and added a sprinkle of new SMB. I did see a very small amount of droppings. But that solution still showed an orange test.

Attachments

• 20200704_124207.jpg
    20200704_124207.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 171
  • 20200704_110910.jpg
    20200704_110910.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 171
  • 20200704_125006.jpg
    20200704_125006.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 171
I noticed the color change to purple and got me thinking to test again using a clean glass rod instead of the pipette which I used for the other batch and still small gold particles around the edge.. No purple showed up.

Attachments

• 20200704_130429.jpg
    20200704_130429.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 168
goldenchild said:
This is where I got my SMB. They used to sell a nice litte 3 gallon bucket at one point. But you can buy it in a five pound bag for cheap. I'd recommend putting it in a bucket to keep it dry. With a large amount you'll never have to worry about SMB again. If you go through a five pound bag or even a... *gulp* 50 lbs bag you're doing well! 8)

https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=sodium+metabisulfite

Thanks Kurt! There are lots of brewery stores near me so it's not too tough to find 😁 In 2018 I bought four one pound bags thinking I might need that much Ha! Way too much. I don't know if it's bad or not. But let's see if this new stuff solves the dropping problem.

Good news, I successfully dropped all of the gold out of solution after 45 minutes. I added a few ml of water to half a teaspoon of SMB stirred it so there was no crystals, then added it to the solution. It took a few minutes to get clearer. But it didn't drop anything.. So I figured maybe it still has chlorine.. I put it on the hotplate as suggested, stirred, added a quarter teaspoon of dry SMB (It sizzled this time, possibly because I dashed more in at a time than before)
and what do you know, some darn chunky gold started precipitating.
I continued heating and periodicity stirring and after about 25 minutes of that the stannous tested negative for gold. I will let sit for an hour and melt it tonight!

Conclusion? Not quite sure yet. But either it could be the newer SMB helped or the chlorine has been lingering in the solutions longer than I've thought. Which makes sense.. I have a hard time with patience at times and I may of been either heating it up to much, too long, killing the acid. Or attempting to drop it to soon before the chlorine leaves the solution.
Thoughts?

I took the red solution and added heat and stirred hoping maybe I have leftover chlorine in that solution. But it's been sitting loosely covered for a few days now..
I will update on that soon.

Attachments

• 20200704_204333.jpg
    20200704_204333.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 150
  • 20200704_200342.jpg
    20200704_200342.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 150
  • 20200704_200955.jpg
    20200704_200955.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 149
  • 20200704_204317.jpg
    20200704_204317.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 150
I washed the gold from the 1030 grams of 2 sided ram chips using Harold's method and then melted it. I'm pretty sure my torch blew gold off the crucible.. I did sprinkle borax on the top before going down with the torch but I noticed some of the borax blew out as I may of went down to close to fast.
I weighed it and only got .36 grams. Disappointing to say the least.

I still have N/S bridge tops 1691.98 grams,
Ram bga 885.6 grams and Various bga chips 1072 grams. Saved the best for last.
I sure hope I can get some good results!

Attachments

• 20200704_235032.jpg
    20200704_235032.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 130
  • 20200705_004630.jpg
    20200705_004630.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
Nice thread, nice pictures, and yes, nice gold, well done. I do not see anything to be disappointed about, the gold is worth the journey to gain the education, and with that comes the understanding to get that gold...

Thanks butcher! Learning is priceless that's for sure. And lots of fun along the way. I've enjoy reading your posts throughout the years! Time sure flies.

So I still have this orange solution that tests orange with stannous. It dropped some gold in the first few days of adding SMB. I've decanted it and saved what dropped.

Now I'm not sure what to do with the solution. It came from two batches of cemented gold. And some fine gold power from a previous batch of chips.

I've added so about 4 teaspoons of SMB in total and I'm expecting 1 to 3 grams of gold.

The PGM may have come from a batch I had last year of about 5 seemingly gold plated things that came from a few older servers. Under the CPU there were these pads that were easily removed. I was able to pull golden hair like fluff from where the CPU pins would go in the pads. I found them interesting so I saved 5 and attempted to poke them all out with a pin. But after 1 I decided to soak them in HCL. A week later I was able brush them all off with a toothbrush.
Then I washed the powder and tried dissolving it with bleach. I can't seem to remember but I think I wasn't able to dissolve everything so I filtered it, washed it and tried dropping with SMB. I forget if some gold dropped but it still tested positive for gold after and I couldn't drop anymore. I ran out of time to experiment further.
So this year (last month) I cemented everything and cleaned the powders until there was no color change in the solution.
I've added all three powders together, dissolved with bleach and the solution turned red. After adding a few grams of SMB the solution turned yellow orange and dropped maybe .2 of a gram of powder after heating.

I don't know how to deal with silver, or PGMS with the chemicals I have yet.

If you guys care to voice your thoughts, what should the next step be?

Last night washed the precipitate in a separate beaker and let settle.
I added the two test solutions I made from it to the main orange solution.
One with double HCL (nothing dropped) and the other test, double water (some dropped and solution turned clear but tested a faint orange)
Also added another teaspoon of SMB to the orange solution last night.
Just a few minutes ago I checked on everything and some dark powders dropped. But the test is still orange with a faint purple. I may decant it to get the powders again.

Attachments

• 20200706_135514.jpg
    20200706_135514.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 151
  • 20200706_135555.jpg
    20200706_135555.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 151
goldenchild said:
This is where I got my SMB. They used to sell a nice litte 3 gallon bucket at one point. But you can buy it in a five pound bag for cheap. I'd recommend putting it in a bucket to keep it dry. With a large amount you'll never have to worry about SMB again. If you go through a five pound bag or even a... *gulp* 50 lbs bag you're doing well! 8)

https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=sodium+metabisulfite

I order the same 5lbs bag and when it goes into my dedicated SMB jar I add a few of these to help keep moisture out. Pretty sure I add a few packets to anything that I keep in a bag or jar that needs to stay dry.

Attachments

• 20200707_014745.jpg
    20200707_014745.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 140
PARKER113 said:
Last night washed the precipitate in a separate beaker and let settle.
I added the two test solutions I made from it to the main orange solution.
One with double HCL (nothing dropped) and the other test, double water (some dropped and solution turned clear but tested a faint orange)
Also added another teaspoon of SMB to the orange solution last night.
Just a few minutes ago I checked on everything and some dark powders dropped. But the test is still orange with a faint purple.

per the underlined - I don't see a "faint purple" in the test --- what I do see is the orange/brown known as a FALSE positive which is the result of using excess/more SMB then needed for dropping the gold - which is no big problem just shows you are using more SMB then needed

It can also be confused for as a positive for PGMs but is really just showing you used to much SMB

Kurt

Thanks for the insight Kurt! Couple questions, why is the solution still orange, why did it turn purple in the first place, and what should I do with the solution now?
Thanks alot! My family thinks I'm a pro refiner/ scientist. Im just a noob mining for gold! You guys are the real deal 😁👍

When in doubt, cement it out. I should probably add that to my signature line, as it addresses so many situations like this. Put some chunky pieces of copper in your solution, add some circulation (an aquarium bubbler, or at least some periodic stirring), and it will cement out any precious metals. Any thing that cements out can be dissolved and re-refined.

Don't get caught up in the color of the solution. Many elements can give many different colors.

Dave

You have recovered a fair bit of gold, if not all of it. If your doubting that, process your left overs (waste). The first step is usually to add copper to it to drop any remaining or missed values.

In case that is not clear, the first step of treating your waste is to remove left over values by using copper. You get any remaining valuable metals AND start treating your waste for proper disposal. Dave's advice is spot on, I think.

Thank you Dave and Shark. I will cement out any remaining values if there are any left.

Right now I'm letting the dropped precipitate settle and tonight I will decant and wash a few times with HCL and water and then dissolve with bleach. I'll heat it up and let it cool off until the next afternoon. Then I'll add SMB.

For my next batch to dissolve of 1586 grams of Square flatpacks I've noticed there are grayish shells of pins floating around. I would assume they are silver. When I dissolve them together with the gold will they drop as white crystals at some point before I drop the gold?
I've tried searching for a while but all posts deal with nitric acid. I would be thrilled to learn how to drop silver or PMS from a HCL-CL solution.

Best regards!

PARKER113 said:
Right now I'm letting the dropped precipitate settle and tonight I will decant and wash a few times with HCL and water and then dissolve with bleach. I'll heat it up and let it cool off until the next afternoon. ___ Then I'll add SMB.

You left out a step. TEST with stannous. It will not only tell you if there are any values in this batch, but it will build your experience for future batches.

For my next batch to dissolve of 1586 grams of Square flatpacks I've noticed there are grayish shells of pins floating around. I would assume they are silver. When I dissolve them together with the gold will they drop as white crystals at some point before I drop the gold?
I've tried searching for a while but all posts deal with nitric acid. I would be thrilled to learn how to drop silver or PMS from a HCL-CL solution.

Assumptions can often lead you in the wrong direction. I've never heard much about silver pins. I've often heard of pins being coated with metals that have dissolved, then cemented out.

Silver is only marginally soluble in chloride solutions. If the Cl- concentration is high, a bit of silver can remain in solution. Diluting the solution prior to filtering and dropping the gold will cause it to drop as insoluble AgCl.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as "PMS".

Dave

Thanks for the reminder to test! Usually I don't test solutions after I dissolve. But it is good practice and I'll be able to spot other noble metals too.

Sorry, that's what I meant by PMS except it was supposed to be PGMS. I missed the G.

The thing is I'm expecting to run into at least one of them when I use HCL-CL for the silicone wafers and when I get around to the magnetic and non magnetic wires from the dip chips and flatpacks. I read there could be some on the wires. I will probably AP them or if i have time do as recommended and use salt water to rust them out.

Back