DROPPING PALLADIUM WITH CHLORINE

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouting again.
Brown is not Pd it’s one of the things that is called false positive.
Can you post a picture if your test?
become dark brown black when I add all sncl (wich I prepared ) directly in main solution makeing a vortex dark brown black

RIGHT NOW IN LAST MINUTE I can get formic acid 85% and with this will be easy to get palladium out from solution with base metals?????

is not brown is black when I was add a lot of sncl directly in main solution become darck brown black
If you put stannous directly into solution you will convert any PGM/Gold int colloidal metal.
Which mean you will have to dissolve again , because now it is metal not an ionic solution.
This is how the different metals look in stannous by the way.
Of course if is very concentrated it goes into the blackish region of color.

Attachments

• Au_Pt_Pd_Stannous.jpg
    Au_Pt_Pd_Stannous.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 0
If you put stannous directly into solution you will convert any PGM/Gold int colloidal metal.
Which mean you will have to dissolve again , because now it is metal not an ionic solution.
This is how the different metals look in stannous by the way.
Of course if is very concentrated it goes into the blackish region of color.
it was just a sample I don't need the palladium from that sample

Have you looked at the process from Sreetips?
He has it more or less all there.
yes is a good way to get pure palladium, he extra refine the palladium in final dissolving the red brick in ammonium and drop again with HCl and after calcinated

it was just a sample I don't need the palladium from that sample
One never know when people say put Stannous into solution.
If you look at the image I sent, you see they have used cotton buds.
We recommend either that or paper strips.
If the test is too dark, dilute by double and try again.

yes is a good way to get pure palladium, he extra refine the palladium in final dissolving the red brick in ammonium and drop again with HCl and after calcinated
As far as I know there are no issue with the base metals.
But check the video thoroughly and search the forum. It is all here.

Formic acid is not used to drop the Pd but to convert the Pd salts to Pd black/powder.
I see on YouTube in some clips he dissolve the contacts silver palladium alloy with copper ,recover the silver and after in dirty solution with base metal he add sodium carbonate and after formic acid and get the palladium

One never know when people say put Stannous into solution.
If you look at the image I sent, you see they have used cotton buds.
We recommend either that or paper strips.
If the test is too dark, dilute by double and try again.
yes yes the colour don't was brown that greenis but more darker I make a confusion with that greenish dark colour believeing is brown

yes yes the colour don't was brown that greenis but more darker I make a confusion with that greenish dark colour believeing is brown
and for platinum I know that orange , I have platinum contacts and some diode with wires and I test them

I see on YouTube in some clips he dissolve the contacts silver palladium alloy with copper ,recover the silver and after in dirty solution with base metal he add sodium carbonate and after formic acid and get the palladium
Formic acid is usually used on pure powders to convert it to metal.
Not drop all.
Better and cheaper with cementing then.
If you don’t have stirrer use an aquarium pump and pump air bubbles in the solution.

But seriously there are several things we ask from user here.
Study C.M. Hokes book.
Search and research the forum
Make plan that includes how you treat your waste.

Be aware that the salts of PGMs are very toxic and proper safety gear and rules must be followed.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
Also for PGM,'s make sure that your solutions are as concentrated as much as possible, I evaporate mine with heat after dropping silver with salt/water or Hcl.
Several times I tried to cement onto copper from catalytic converter acid leach and even with air bubbling in platinum and palladium will cement onto the copper bar like it is being plated instead of being dislodged by the air.

Formic acid is not used to drop the Pd but to convert the Pd salts to Pd black/powder.
Formic acid is usually used on pure powders to convert it to metal.
Not drop all.
Per the bold print - actually yes you can use formic acid to drop Pd direct from a Pd solution

It requires Ph adjustment (with sodium carbonate) as well as getting the ORP right long with heat

I believe 4metal posted a number of years ago the proper Ph - ORP & temp

here is a video by OwlTech showing how it is done - though he does not actually use Ph &/or ORP testing he simply uses chem reaction indicators when doing his chem additions - & the temp plays a critical roll

you need to move up to "about" the 19 minute mark - everything before that is about getting to the Pd solution for dropping the Pd with formic acid (& sodium carbonate)

You can use the same formic process for silver & as well (I believe) Pt --- not sure about gold or other PGMs

If you have Ag/Pd/Pt all in the same solution it well drop all of them so it's not selective in that way

It does not drop copper & metals above copper though if you over do the sodium carbonate (Ph adjust) you are likely to get copper & other metals to come down as carbonates

Kurt

Last edited:
Several times I tried to cement onto copper from catalytic converter acid leach and even with air bubbling in platinum and palladium will cement onto the copper bar like it is being plated instead of being dislodged by the air.
Two possibilities why this has not worked for you (actually three)

1) you where working with very concentrated solution

2) your bubbler was not providing aggressive enough agitation so you were not getting a good "strong" flow of the solution over the surface of the copper

3) combination of the above two

Edit to add one more thing --------

You MUST have the bubbler (agitation) going BEFORE you put the copper in the solution !!!

If you put the copper in the solution - & then turn the bubbler on - what happens is as soon as you put the copper in (without agitation) the PGMs in fact plate to the surface of the copper - & once you have that PGM plating on the surface of the copper- the solution can no longer get to the copper which then shuts down the cementing process

ALWAYS start your agitation before putting your copper in

Kurt

Last edited:
Cementing PGMs is a "bit" more difficult then cementing gold or silver

However - when properly done - it will must certainly cement PGMs & do so with great success - when properly done

Aggressive agitation & good strong flow of the solution over the copper are key to it working properly

It has been discussed on this forum many times but here are two of the best discussions about it

If you follow these instructions you should not have a problem cementing PGMs with copper

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/fuzz-button-interconnects-need-some-advice.22203/#p232030
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/#post-324900
Kurt

Cementing PGMs is a "bit" more difficult then cementing gold or silver

However - when properly done - it will must certainly cement PGMs & do so with great success - when properly done

Aggressive agitation & good strong flow of the solution over the copper are key to it working properly

It has been discussed on this forum many times but here are two of the best discussions about it

If you follow these instructions you should not have a problem cementing PGMs with copper

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/fuzz-button-interconnects-need-some-advice.22203/#p232030
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/#post-324900
Kurt
Thanks Kurt!

Back