DROPPING PALLADIUM WITH CHLORINE

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per the bold print - actually yes you can use formic acid to drop Pd direct from a Pd solution

It requires Ph adjustment (with sodium carbonate) as well as getting the ORP right long with heat

I believe 4metal posted a number of years ago the proper Ph - ORP & temp

here is a video by OwlTech showing how it is done - though he does not actually use Ph &/or ORP testing he simply uses chem reaction indicators when doing his chem additions - & the temp plays a critical roll

you need to move up to "about" the 19 minute mark - everything before that is about getting to the Pd solution for dropping the Pd with formic acid (& sodium carbonate)

You can use the same formic process for silver & as well (I believe) Pt --- not sure about gold or other PGMs

If you have Ag/Pd/Pt all in the same solution it well drop all of them so it's not selective in that way

It does not drop copper & metals above copper though if you over do the sodium carbonate (Ph adjust) you are likely to get copper & other metals to come down as carbonates

Kurt

Thanks, I didn’t know that.
I have only seen it used on pure salts/ solutions.

Per the bold print - actually yes you can use formic acid to drop Pd direct from a Pd solution

It requires Ph adjustment (with sodium carbonate) as well as getting the ORP right long with heat

I believe 4metal posted a number of years ago the proper Ph - ORP & temp

here is a video by OwlTech showing how it is done - though he does not actually use Ph &/or ORP testing he simply uses chem reaction indicators when doing his chem additions - & the temp plays a critical roll

you need to move up to "about" the 19 minute mark - everything before that is about getting to the Pd solution for dropping the Pd with formic acid (& sodium carbonate)

You can use the same formic process for silver & as well (I believe) Pt --- not sure about gold or other PGMs

If you have Ag/Pd/Pt all in the same solution it well drop all of them so it's not selective in that way

It does not drop copper & metals above copper though if you over do the sodium carbonate (Ph adjust) you are likely to get copper & other metals to come down as carbonates

Kurt

THIS IS WHAT I SEARCH a lot of time a simple way to get palladium out from dirty solution(with base metals) BUT NOBODY CAN GIVE ME A GOOD ANSWER AND IT WAS SO EASY.
I see a lot of movies where they get palladium with potassium hydroxide and formic acid but me I don't have acces to potassium hydroxide and this is the reason I don't search anymore how to get with formic acid.
And yesterday I see on internet a movie in wich he use sodium carbonate not potassium hydroxide with formic acid, and I remember the formic acid is cheap and easy to get it is used to treat bee ,and I say this is what I search a lot of time.Is not important if main solution contain base metals just drop silver if is present and after add sodium carbonate until change the colour and in final some formic acid and put on stove at 80⁰c and add little sodium carbonate and palladium will start to drop. THIS IS A EASY AND QUICK WAY VERY GOOD THIS IS WHAT I SEARCH

Two possibilities why this has not worked for you (actually three)

1) you where working with very concentrated solution

2) your bubbler was not providing aggressive enough agitation so you were not getting a good "strong" flow of the solution over the surface of the copper

3) combination of the above two

Edit to add one more thing --------

You MUST have the bubbler (agitation) going BEFORE you put the copper in the solution !!!

If you put the copper in the solution - & then turn the bubbler on - what happens is as soon as you put the copper in (without agitation) the PGMs in fact plate to the surface of the copper - & once you have that PGM plating on the surface of the copper- the solution can no longer get to the copper which then shuts down the cementing process

ALWAYS start your agitation before putting your copper in

Kurt
My bubbler was not set up properly to have enough agitation. I have since started using a magnetic stirrer with a copper bar hanging inside of the beaker while being stirred and heated. This is working out very well and no more pgm plated bars.
I have been considering trying to cement the PGM's with copper powder with stirring and heat instead of the bar hanging into the beaker.

AND RETURN TO MY PROBLEM TRYING TO BUBBLE CHLORINE IN PD SOLUTION WICH CONTAIN BASE METALS IS A PROBLEM?
Hi I see this is a newer thread.im new to to this site.Anyway how are you trying to bubble chlorine. Myself i don't use any harsh chemical so I've been testing trying stuff ,much safer and environmental friendly.i might have your answer tho

Hi I see this is a newer thread.im new to to this site.Anyway how are you trying to bubble chlorine. Myself i don't use any harsh chemical so I've been testing trying stuff ,much safer and environmental friendly.i might have your answer tho
As I told in the other thread, Welcome to us.
But read the rules of the forum, then read C.M.Hokes book, it is free here on the forum.
Then read the safety section and dealing with waste in the forum.

Youtube is NOT your friend when it goes to refining, it is actually for the most part a shorter road to agony and despair.

You did not reply to my other post.
As for this post, Mythen will not answer, he has been banned, and will not answer your post.

Please use proper punctuation and line shifts.
It is hard to read some of these posts if they get long, additionally some members have to use translators to understand.
Without a proper sentence construct these tools also struggles.

Back