EEVblog #1341 - AMAZING $250,000 IBM Processor TEARDOWN!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was sad to see it destroyed in that way, It was ok up to the point when he took out the pliers and broke one die. :cry:

Göran

nickvc said:
Is this a case of a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing :shock:
Nah, not dangerous, but I guess (I've never checked or sold one) that the CPU was worth a couple of hundred pounds in it's pristine state for a collector but the broken die made it a lot less valuable. The capacitors would have been easy to reattach but to fix a broken die you need a wafer fab more or less.

It's like a Ming vase, if you break it you could glue it together and you can find a buyer but the price will never be the same as a pristine one.

Göran

At least if something is torn down on camera, we can experience it too. The solder was kind of interesting, wonder if it was an indium alloy solder instead of the tin-copper alloy his datasheets referenced.

I wasn't expecting flipped chips, but how could I realistically expect that much gold bond wire either, $250k or not. After looking it up, flip chip isn't as new as I had thought.

Those capacitor networks looked like candies!

Anyone here interested in buying these? I have some of them in my warehouse and I assume the collecting value is somewhat higher than PGM recovery.

best regards, Sebastian

If you have the IBM PN's off of what you have, it would help define
what you have and most likely their values as well. The IBM PN's are
are normally seven digits in length with a letter in the third position
from the left. For example: 46G6004.

Back