Electrolytic copper refining cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4metals

Staff member
Supporting Member
The principles behind a copper cell.

Our purpose in refining copper is primarily to concentrate the precious metals we have collected in copper based bullion anodes. For years I used smelting techniques, which we have discussed in the smelting thread, to separate the metals, which can be oxidized out of the copper. The remaining copper holds the precious metals, which are separated out by the electrolytic copper refining process and at the same time concentrated in the anode slimes.

Since so many of our members pursue refining as a hobby and thus on a small scale, the beauty of the electrolytic copper process is it can be scaled to work in a tank as small as a beaker all the way up to cells the volume of swimming pools. Ironically silver cells behave the same way, once you get the hang of the chemistry in the cell, it works on 1 gallon cells (like Kadriver’s stainless steel bowl cell) up to cells making thousands of ounces a day.

So lets start with the electrolyte.

Copper as copper sulfate 45 – 50 g/L
Sulfuric acid 170 – 200 g/L
The following additives, used in very small quantities, are to level the deposit and affect the grain of the deposit making it denser.
Bone glue, 1 gram for every 25 pounds of anode processed thru the solution
Thiourea, 1 gram for every 20 pounds of anode processed thru the solution
NaCl, 0.04g/L

Operating temperature, 60 C (140 F)

Anode bags 13 ounce polynap fabric. (Available from Anode Products of Schiller Park, IL)
Large copper producers control their organic additives to the point that the use of anode bags is not necessary; the slimes are pulled from the solution by filtration and vacuumed off the bottom of the cell. In my experience, I have always had better luck with anode bags, but the biggest system I have ever designed or worked with produced 200 pounds of pure copper per day. I am a believer in anode bags, most impurities in commercial copper come from carry over from particulate entrapment in the cathode deposit, and the right anode bags will prevent that.

Current density 25 - 28 Amps/sq. ft.

Anode material is the copper collector material we produced from the smelting process with a copper content >98.5%. I should add here that I have had success while the copper content was as low as 96% if the 2 1/2% difference is metals that will not dissolve but will end up in the slimes. When the percentage of precious metals in the bar gets above 4%, aside from being a good problem to have, the anodes can passivate and your efficiency goes bad. The fix is to add pure copper and recast your anodes. Any decent sized refinery will be fire assaying their bars after they are smelted and cast anyway so this is easy to prevent.

Large producers cast anodes which are large flat plates with tabs on top to hang directly on the buss bars but smaller producers use titanium anode hooks which thread into a tapped hole drilled into the rectangular cast anode. These hooks look like this;

anode hooks.jpg

Cathodes were classically a high purity copper sheet on which the copper built up to the point that they were removed and washed and cast into pure copper ingots. So the copper sheet is an expendable supply, which you will need to replace routinely. The method of choice used today is a 316 stainless steel plate which has a plastic strip covering the edges so no plating deposits on the edge. When the plating builds up the cathode sheet is removed, rinsed, and the edge covering is removed allowing the easier removal of the deposited copper. Once the copper is peeled off, the strips are replaced and the cathode plate is re-used over and over.

Typically, a small plating unit will have 10 rows of anodes and 9 rows of cathodes. These are arranged so there is about a 2” space between the plates. A unit of this size requires a 300 Amp rectifier and can produce about 200 grams of copper per hour. I mention this size because it is fitting for a refiner who processes small quantities of copper base bullion or one that sees a lot of gold plated copper scrap which can often be melted into anodes and processed (after sampling and assay) in the cell. For some reason, this size cell, producing about 75 pounds of refined copper a week, is popular with small to medium sized refiners who do not specialize in electronic scrap but see it enough to process it in house.

Of course this will work with a beaker containing an anode standing on one side with a battery clip (+ plus connection) connecting to the power supply, and a cathode standing on the opposite side with a battery clip (- negative connection) to the power supply.

So what happens to the impurities that remained in your anode material?

Some of these impurities will end up in the anode slimes. These metals include Gold, Platinum, Palladium, (all platinum group metals) Selenium, Tellurium, Lead, and Tin. Silver does have some ability to dissolve in the electrolyte, but in practice 99% of silver ends up in the slimes. Some copper also ends up in the slimes but rarely more than a few percent. Generating these slimes is the main reason a refiner uses a copper electrolytic cell, but for this thread we are only discussing the process of producing the concentrate, affectionately called slimes, we will not discuss refining the slimes yet. That will have to wait for the completion of the Smelting, Electrolytic copper, Slimes refining trilogy.

The metals that will dissolve in the electrolyte are Arsenic, (Arsenic is actually a metalloid) Bismuth, Cobalt, Iron, Nickel, and Antimony. With magnetic separation and proper treatment in the smelting process, these elements can be kept to a minimum. Fortunately copper plates out at a lower applied potential than these elements so they remain in solution. Eventually, they will require the solution to be changed out to lower their concentrations.

The copper plating baths are easily controlled with simple titrations to control the copper levels (EDTA titration) and the sulfuric acid levels (NaOH titration). While the levelers and grain density additions can be controlled in larger cells with a Hull cell test, smaller cells can even do without these additions by using the proper anode bags. One caution is excessive dendritic growth can short out plates which are closely spaced, so if you cannot tend to your cells daily and plan to run continuously, additives will buy you time between required cathode change outs.

These are the edges of stainless steel cathodes from a clients system, they do not maintain the organics closely (they do it by pounds of anode added) and they do bag their anodes. Their feedstock is from smelted circuit board metallic fractions.

electrolytic copper cathodes .jpg

Back in the 1980’s I was smelting prepared jewelers sweeps in a rotary furnace with copper as a collector, the PM’s were recovered in copper cells with the copper recycled back to perform duty as a collector and the PM’s collecting in slimes in the cell room which had about 10 or 12 cells (I can’t remember exactly) which processed all of the bars generated from the sweeps melting. Since all bars were assayed separately we were able to segregate the bars with PGM’s from those without and generate slimes that either had or didn’t have PGM’s in them. That made for easier recovery. The combination of being able to mix prepared and assayed sweeps into rotary melt lots and the ability to place anodes into the proper copper cell made it easier to keep the PGM’s separate. And thus a point that I may have made once before comes up again; a good analytical lab is the best support and avenue to refining success there is.

4metals said:
Anode material is the copper collector material we produced from the smelting process with a copper content >98.5%. I should add here that I have had success while the copper content was as low as 96% if the 2 1/2% difference is metals that will not dissolve but will end up in the slimes. When the percentage of precious metals in the bar gets above 4%, aside from being a good problem to have, the anodes can passivate and your efficiency goes bad.
I gather this would therefore not be an appropriate method to purify copper that is dropped during the acid waste management processes?

Edit to add: Great start for a thread, too! Thanks!

When you consider the metals that iron drops out of the waste solution, there is potential to have other metals in there mixed with the copper. So smelt the metal first to remove as many of those metals as your smelt allows and then you can use the smelted copper as anode material.

I would say the benefit of this process for precious metal refining is not to clean up dirty copper, although that is exactly what is done with that material when it is shipped to a copper refiner, but our purpose is to concentrate precious metals. If you ran a cell to upgrade copper with no PM's in it I would think you would need a large operation to make it pay off at $2 a pound for copper.

I think including the electrolytic recovery of copper from nitrate solutions (as in spent silver cell electrolyte) would make for some confusion. Let's see how this goes with an acid copper sulfate cell and maybe we can add in the copper nitrates as an option or even start a separate thread.

When in doubt I believe it is best to always eschew obfuscation.

4metals said:
I think including the electrolytic recovery of copper from nitrate solutions (as in spent silver cell electrolyte) would make for some confusion. Let's see how this goes with an acid copper sulfate cell and maybe we can add in the copper nitrates as an option or even start a separate thread.

When in doubt I believe it is best to always eschew obfuscation.

That was kind of what I was thinking too that was why I asked.

The power of a copper cell is undisputed as many commercial precious metals refineries operate on this principle completely. The slimes are where the "values" live. Treating the slimes is the tricky bit for the home refiner. Thanks 4metals.

Is there a point where an anode can become to thick? Would the anode need to be more of a sheet or will bars shapes work? I think what I am trying to ask is what is the shape/size relationship between the anode and the cathode?

Most refiners making anodes for small cells that use the anode hooks, of which I posted an image of above, use anodes about 4"wide, 2 to 3" thick and as long as their tank is deep. While there is less surface area on square or rectangular anodes than the plate shape of commercial anodes, the reaction will still proceed and you will produce the desired result. Generally you want a few anodes on a bar to approximate the width of the cathode and similarly the length of the anodes serves little purpose being longer than the cathode.

If you have the ability to produce an anode that is thicker at the top than at the bottom, they will last longer before the remaining stub needs to be either re-melted into a new anode with other stubs, or placed in a titanium anode basket which has an anode bag and eliminates extra melting. While it is perfectly acceptable to use one anode basket in a cell, I would refrain from using too many as the stubs stuffed into an anode basket can become insulated from the electrical circuit if too much slime collects in the basket. Whenever an anode is removed from the cell it should be rinsed in a standing tank of rinse water and the slimes will wash off and settle in the tank where they can be occasionally recovered. titanium anode baskets come in all shapes and sizes but typically look like this;
titanium-anode-baskets.jpg

I like to use de-ionized or distilled water for make-up of a new cell and for the rinse water to clean the anodes. The rinse water, having only rinsed electrolyte from the anodes, will not contaminate the electrolyte in the tank after it has settled so this is the source of water I use for replenishing evaporation. The copper on the cathode needs to be rinsed as well but clean distilled or de-ionized water is best as most impurities in the copper are from the electrolyte not the deposit.

That will be way beyond my scope unless I can start moving something a bit smaller at first. I don't try to nickle and dime a project but sinking tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars into a huge project is not something I can do right now. I need to start out with just a few thousands of dollars first. I suggest we concentrate on something a bit smaller and work our way up to industry sized equipment. Raw titanium is expensive enough but having it machined and fabricated will just make it unapproachable even for a mid sized operation. It would make a great investment but the biggest reason for small business failure is not enough starting capital. Invest big without enough backing and you are doomed to failure. Sitting and staring at the thousands of dollars worth of equipment and not enough money to pay the electric bill.

The titanium hooks are like $5.00 each not much. A pretty good size hobby set up could be done pretty cheap. The higher end power supply is the tricky part.

Eric

Geo said:
That will be way beyond my scope unless I can start moving something a bit smaller at first. I don't try to nickle and dime a project but sinking tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars into a huge project is not something I can do right now. I need to start out with just a few thousands of dollars first. I suggest we concentrate on something a bit smaller and work our way up to industry sized equipment. Raw titanium is expensive enough but having it machined and fabricated will just make it unapproachable even for a mid sized operation. It would make a great investment but the biggest reason for small business failure is not enough starting capital. Invest big without enough backing and you are doomed to failure. Sitting and staring at the thousands of dollars worth of equipment and not enough money to pay the electric bill.

If I remember right you are dealing with a scrap yard on some of this material you are working with. Now would be the perfect time for you to learn and get into a battery bank with renewable energy and talk the yard owner out of some batteries and set up a renewable energy system with DC motors to charge the battery banks.

Funny you should mention that. MCR in Decatur went out of business. Apparently, the mother company was in a legal dispute in Ca. That caused the two local junior partners to decide to cut ties and shut down. I spoke with the local owner and he said that the partner in Cali was facing a huge lawsuit and he didn't want to be pulled into the middle.

On pages 37-38 of the attached file is a list of copper plating additives that have appeared in the patent literature. Quite a list!

Note that the acid copper plating solutions are almost identical to the copper electrorefining solutions. Here's another article.

http://www.ct.ufrgs.br/ntcm/graduacao/ENG06631/5-b_copper.pdf

Attachments

• Copper Plating.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 138
Shark said:

Will Voltage have any major effect or are the Amps the primary control needed?

Your voltage is what you want to be able to adjust. The amperage is the amount of energy it is taking to to do the work and that is determined by the surface area of the ( anode/cathode ) material you are running.

Same principal as using a 100 watt light bulb versus a 60 watt light bub on a 110V electrical system in a house. The voltage stays constant at 110V but a 100 watt bulb uses more energy than a 60 watt light bulb because it produces more light.

Shark said:

Will Voltage have any major effect or are the Amps the primary control needed?

You measure and calculate the surface area of the cathode(s) facing the anode(s) and then apply from 25-28 amps per square foot of cathode surface area. Don't worry about the voltage. Just set the amperage and let the voltage fall where it may. The amps are what does the work.

Setting up a small electrolytic copper cell is not all that difficult and can be done on a very small scale. The one thing you will need is a plating rectifier. Just to give you an idea of the rectifier size required, if you bought a small off the shelf 8" x 8" x 8" 2 gallon tank to set up as a cell, you would be best to have 2 anode bars and one center cathode bar. Based on the tank size in the example, a 7" x 7" cathode plate would fit nicely and also give you maximum plating area.

So 7" x 7" = 49 sq in per side and since the cathode is in the center between 2 anode bars we double that so our total cathode area is 98 sq in. 98/144 = .68 sq ft so at 25 ASF you will need a rectifier capable of producing 17 amps.

As you can see you will need a decent amperage rectifier to get any decent copper production out of a cell. Start shopping the auction sites for plating rectifiers because a good deal here will make everything else more affordable.

Hanging anodes on hooks is less efficient than slab anodes of greater surface area but by placing a few anodes along the length of an anode buss you can get the area required and not suffer greatly in the efficiency department. One thing I like to do is make a CPVC framework out of 1/2" CPVC pipe to hold an anode bag open and allow one anode bag per length of buss bar. If the bag is centered along the buss bar so individual anodes on hooks can be hung on the buss without the need for individual anode bags, your life and operation of the cell will be easier. This is a cell where you can see the single anode bag for each anode section. (This is a picture of a moebius cell for silver but the configuration of the anode bags is what I want you to see)

moebius.jpg

One difference you will see in the cell in the picture is the quantity of anode buss bars compared to the quantity of cathode buss bars. In electrolytic copper refining there is always one more anode buss than cathode buss. Each cathode in a copper setup has an anode on each side. In silver refining, there are cathodes on each end which only see anodes on one side.

I notice the specifications that Chris posted referenced baths operating at lower temperatures than the 160 F that I mentioned. I always prefer warmer for the simple reason that I like to see a good quantity of evaporation so replenishment can be made with settled rinse waters from rinsing clean electrodeposited copper free of electrolyte and form rinsing slimes off of anode bars when they are removed for re-casting. This means your rinse water is no longer a waste stream. To a small refiner this can be a big deal. Electricity is cheaper than hauling waste. If you are a big operation with waste effluent treatment in place, cooler may be your choice. I have no experience running these baths at the lower temperature.

I notice the specifications that Chris posted referenced baths operating at lower temperatures than the 160 F that I mentioned. I always prefer warmer for the simple reason that I like to see a good quantity of evaporation so replenishment can be made with settled rinse waters from rinsing clean electrodeposited copper free of electrolyte and form rinsing slimes off of anode bars when they are removed for re-casting. This means your rinse water is no longer a waste stream. To a small refiner this can be a big deal. Electricity is cheaper than hauling waste. If you are a big operation with waste effluent treatment in place, cooler may be your choice. I have no experience running these baths at the lower temperature.
4metals, good point that I hadn't considered, but totally agree with. A higher temperature would definitely reduce the amount of waste solution.

I must admit, the only part of those 2 articles I read was the list of different additives found in the patents. I should have read them closer.

How do you plan on dealing with the impurities? For example, I think all copper connector pins are alloys. In my experience, a build up of impurities in the solution can quickly create poor adherence of the deposit to the cathode and extremely spongy deposits.

Back