Electrolytic copper refining cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How I made the bar can be found here... Smelting

The power supply is an old computer power supply. I have it hooked up to the 5 volt side running at .5 amps. The video was before using a filter bag to catch slime's from the bar. If you can find a power supply with an on/off switch most of them will withstand a short by unplugging them and re-plugging it in, otherwise you will kill the unit dead on the first short. I am still using the same unit and have used it in a sulfuric cell as well, but prefer my other, smaller power supply for it. I have a bigger power supply that has an adjustable volt (12-18) and amp (6-36) range but haven't tried it out yet.

Thanks for the link Shark, but, that link takes one to the beginning of a four page thread. After going through the entire thread I came to the last post, by you, and this is what it said:

"Here is how I made the big bar in the last pictures above. While there are things that I changed later (like my shoes) the basics are the same. I thought I had posted this before, but that is what I get for thinking sometimes."

There was nothing more. I thought it may have been a picture that had failed to load so I refreshed the page, but to no avail.
I did read earlier in the thread were bars were made from copper pipe and ic legs. So, was this bar that you electrolyzed made from copper bar and "non" magnetic ic legs?

The big bar is mainly copper pipe and non magnetic parts from IC's melted down from the corn ear looking bars. At the last minute I added two table spoons of the magnetic parts to the mix with a very aggressive flux.(another mistake) The results left most of the magnetic parts "floating" between the layer of copper metal, and the flux. I chipped the flux and steel away, and ran the end result in the copper sulfate.

I may need to reword the post in the other thread. The pictures I mentioned are the ones in a post several comments about my last post. I plan on doing another video when I can as that one is rather old. I have upgraded my burner and it works way better than any I used in that thread at the time.

The moderators would like to thank all of the members who contributed to the original thread that this post was based on, as well as those who asked questions showing what was missing. Because of the extra length and interest in this thread we have created the above, consolidated version making for an easier read. We encourage all members to read, comment, and ask questions in the original thread, Electrolytic copper refining cell .

The moderators have edited some posts in this thread that made reference to posts that were deleted. We strive to make these Library threads as concise as possible by deleting posts that do not add information to the original topic. All of the original posts are still preserved in the thread listed above.

The Library threads should not be considered to constitute a complete education. Instead, they're more like reading a single book on the subject of recovery and refining. There is so much more information on the forum, and it is impossible to include it all in these condensed threads. Members are strongly encouraged to read the rest of the forum to round out their education.

Back