Experienced Metallurgist, New Chemist

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooshketon

Hello,
I, over the past year and a half, have been studying chemistry, and have also been studying the extraction of precious metals, such as gold. I recently had a gold refining kit shipped by JSP (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B51Y8F1Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details). I also had an order of Hydrochloric acid (also from JSP), and a graphite ingot mould. I've been in the metal industry for 7 years now, starting with both melting in a foundry, and blacksmithing, so the graphite mould is not much of an issue for me. The thing I was concerned about, was the process of the chemical work. I have everything I need, to my knowledge, and I even have a teacher who is willing to let me use his fume hood and heating plates. If anyone has tips for a first timer?

Beside this:

'Description
Kit contains 1/2lb pack of nitric acid substitute to be mixed with hydrochloric acid. This is used to dissolve gold for later precipitation. 1/2 lb 99% pure prilled Urea, pH balancer. Used in precious metal refining with aqua regia. Added to the filtered solution to balance pH. 1/2 lb gold precipitant (SMB) Odorless and non-toxic, with an unlimited shelf life. It precipitates in heavy, shiny, flake form, making rinsing and decanting much easier and faster, avoiding inadvertent losses of gold during rinsing. Precipitates gold of at least 99.95%+ purity. Stannous Chloride, gold/silver/platinum detector. Premixed liquid. An absolute necessity to make sure you have dropped all the gold from your aqua regia solution before you discard it.'

Urea is not recommended here on the forum.

First we need to know what kind of material you want to process.
And before you go and mix chemicals, present your plan here.
Only perform test tube size acquaintance tests as described in miss Hoke's book.

Safety!
Use gloves, goggles, closed clothes and a fume hood.

Study dealing with waste:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/
And ask first!

Martijn.

Beside this:

'Description
Kit contains 1/2lb pack of nitric acid substitute to be mixed with hydrochloric acid. This is used to dissolve gold for later precipitation. 1/2 lb 99% pure prilled Urea, pH balancer. Used in precious metal refining with aqua regia. Added to the filtered solution to balance pH. 1/2 lb gold precipitant (SMB) Odorless and non-toxic, with an unlimited shelf life. It precipitates in heavy, shiny, flake form, making rinsing and decanting much easier and faster, avoiding inadvertent losses of gold during rinsing. Precipitates gold of at least 99.95%+ purity. Stannous Chloride, gold/silver/platinum detector. Premixed liquid. An absolute necessity to make sure you have dropped all the gold from your aqua regia solution before you discard it.'

Urea is not recommended here on the forum.

And before you go and mix chemicals, present your plan here.
Only perform test tube size acquaintance tests as described in miss Hoke's book.

Safety!
Use gloves, goggles, closed clothes and a fume hood.

Study dealing with waste:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/
And ask first!

Martijn.
Sweet, I have it all set up at home, and the instructions are basically everything you sent. Do you have discord to communicate over? I use that a lot more as I use it for work. Thank you again for all the help!

Those kits are just poormans AR. You willl need a heat source such as a hot plate, along with good glassware. A fume-hood would be a plus. Pretty straight forward except for the urea, as mentioned.

It would be helpful, especially to future generations, if the assistance your asking for was kept available on the open forum. We can all share as you learn.

Edit: correct spelling

Last edited:
Those instructions are written for experienced refiners. The basics are not explained and the fact they send urea along makes the whole instruction questionable imo.

What Shark said: all refining questions belong here on this forum only. It's how I learned it and many more before me and after me. We learn from others mistakes and sucesses.

Study how to use what you have and ask before you jump in. (Like i did;))

Still:
Martijn.

Sweet, I have it all set up at home, and the instructions are basically everything you sent. Do you have discord to communicate over? I use that a lot more as I use it for work. Thank you again for all the help!
Hi, My discord is Wooshketon#0094, and anyone can add me, even if it isnt just for gold purification!

Those instructions are written for experienced refiners. The basics are not explained and the fact they send urea along makes the whole instruction questionable imo.

What Shark said: all refining questions belong here on this forum only. It's how I learned it and many more before me and after me. We learn from others mistakes and sucesses.

Study how to use what you have and ask before you jump in. (Like i did;))

Still:

Martijn.
Im thinking of filming the entire process and posting it on youtube to track progress, as well as editing the entire process that I go through. Thank you!

You really want help and honest opinions here? Present your plan here. Each step. As detailed as possible. The feedback you get will be extremely valuable.

Time for more coffee.

Back