Experiment with gold plating on boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbriese

Hello all
So I am doing some sample tests on some boards with a lot of gold flash plating I have completely depopulated the board by hand except for a couple boards that had a few items that were soldered to them and would not come off without heat.
So the first batch went into ap and after a couple days of running the bubbler most of the gold was floating in the ap so I removed bubbler let settle and filtered getting more gold foils than expected. The boards that were free of all metals were removed new boards added and same filtered solution pored back on the second batch after couple days there was no progress on this batch so I added more HCL and a few ml h2o2 another day and things seemed to be working again.
Now this is where I have run into issues I ended up getting busy with work and stuff and had set this aside for a couple weeks with the bubbler going. Got back to it and had this almost black solution so I removed the boards and filtered the solution. No gold or much of anything in filter. Stannious test causes the dark drop of solution to go clear first then after 10-15 minutes there is a ring of dark brown almost black. So I went to cement everything copper would cement out. After 24 hours I had a solution that was crystal clear from about an inch from the top down and the top inch was very dark went to remove the copper coil and it caused the black top inch to disperse and turn the whole thing back dark these pics is from after this point dark one is after it mixed and the second is from after another 24 hours of the copper being in it. The first time the dark floated higher
I have taken a small sample and added a few drops nitric acid the solution turn yellow. This solution gives a positive stannious test for gold.
So before I try this route for making AR out of the Ap then drop the gold with either SMB or Copperas thought I would ask here for thoughts. Like I said this is just a test to see if it will get the flash plating off boards with solder and legs from components still on the boards.

Attachments

• 9E399C55-72E9-4B6C-9679-F3B658408A5B.jpeg
    9E399C55-72E9-4B6C-9679-F3B658408A5B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 7C60FE23-4FF3-457B-9581-4929F607AEDE.jpeg
    7C60FE23-4FF3-457B-9581-4929F607AEDE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
The H2O2 dissolved the gold i think.
And then cemented out on the base metals on the boards leaving a very fine black powder floating.
Were the boards completely clean of base metals when you pulled them out?

Let the solution settle and decant carefully until you can transfer the solution to a smaller beaker to wash with hot water as if from a dirty AR drop or dissolve in AR.

All but a couple boards are completely clean of all metals there was a couple boards that the gold pads are not touched either acid wasn’t able to get under them or there is silver plating under the gold. the solder must be almost pure silver as there is what looks like silver chloride on the surface but the majority of the solder is still intact. See pics

The solution would not settle so I have added nitric to make AR and have filtered that solution it is now a clear dark green. Working on filtering the copperas solution to do a dirty gold drop then will refine. I am sure the the gold was what was causing the black but was fine enough that it went thru a qualative 410 filter doubled up. Will post results when finished.
The second photo is a pic of the batch of boards I ran small batches so when I run into issues I have a minimum amount of product to try and resolve the issues.
I think the main problem I caused by letting them sit and bubble for to long and it cause the foils to disintegrate into a very fine powder.

Attachments

• A6A0AC87-D5EE-4CEB-ACCD-69A72EDE0100.jpeg
    A6A0AC87-D5EE-4CEB-ACCD-69A72EDE0100.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 547BA4D4-E36E-4DFA-B358-F2ADF336E45A.jpeg
    547BA4D4-E36E-4DFA-B358-F2ADF336E45A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
It appears you have not used enough CuCl2 for the amount of boards (to much copper for to little solution). CuCl2 should be used in excess not in tiny amounts and tiny containers. Somewhere on the forum I posted videos of running one pair of eyeglass (gold filled) in copper(ll) chloride it took several days and even then I used 1 liters to do it. I used an air pump and it still turned very dark before completing the job. Air and enough solution is your friend when using CuCl2.

Update after adding nitric acid the particles that were suspended in the solution dissolved then I filtered and dropped gold with copperas not enough gold to try and weigh but was able to reclaim the gold and is sitting there waiting for another batch of AR to be added to.
So adding the nitric to the cucl2 acted like AR and dissolved the rest of the gold particles and was able to reclaim just like with straight AR only other issue was the very small amount of gold in about 3 liters of solution took very long time to settle 4 days. Water rinses settled much quicker a few hours.

Back