Extracting Aluminum Silicate From Dirt :)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLS0812

Aluminum is the most abundant metal on the earth's surface, making up to ~6% as compared to ~4% iron. The most common form is aluminum silicate, being found virtually anywhere [*1] - comprising 11% to over 80% of soil by volume. Aluminum silicate is also a major component in the metamorphic rock, shale. [*2] I am hoping one day be able to economically produce pure aluminum metal from dirt. ( reference on how it's done [.pdf LINK] )
Aluminum silicate, also known as 'native clay', is relatively easy to extract and clean. After some experimenting on my own, I've been able to reliably extract about ~60% relatively clean aluminum silicate ( dry weight ) from the clay heavy soil found in my back yard.

I use the following equipment:
* a paint mixer drill attachment
* several clear plastic containers
* some sort of open large flat plastic containers ( example: clean cat litter pans )
* heavy object to crush dry dirt clods and/or shale
* oxalic acid ( optional step to remove iron contamination )
* chemical gloves if oxalic acid is used

The steps I use:
1: Collect dirt that is relatively free from roots ( finely crushed shale also works ), breaking up clods and large chunks.
2: Dry the soil out and crush it into a fine powder. Drying and crushing is not necessary unless you are aiming for higher aluminum silicate yield per batch.
3: ( optional to remove iron contaminates ) In hot water, add about 1 tablespoon dry oxalic acid per gallon water you will be using ( see chemical packaging for exact ratio needed ).
4: In clear plastic container, add 1 part dry crushed dirt and/or shale to 3 parts water. This does not have to be exact, as long as there is plenty of water.
5: If you are using oxalic acid, it is highly recommended you do the next steps outside and use chemical protection: using your paint mixer, mix the dirt and water very very very well. Make sure everything is suspended in the water. Let the mixture sit for about 5 or so minutes. ( this time can very, depending on soil composition )
6: The mix should have started to separate into layers. Very carefully remove the liquid and put it into another clear plastic container. Try not to disturb the bottom sediment layer.
7: Throw away the bottom layer, and mix up the top layer very very very well, leaving it sit for 5 or so minutes after.
8: Repeat step #6 and #7 a couple more times.
9: Mix very well, and run the resulting liquid through a sieve with a paper towel to remove unwanted items.
10: Let the liquid sit for at least 24 hours.
11: Carefully remove the liquid layer and save the sediments
12: Add clean water and mix the sediments very well - this is to rinse out the oxalic acid.
13: Repeat steps #10, #11, and #12 a couple times if you used acid - ignore this step otherwise.
14: In large flat container(s), let your now (relatively) purified aluminum silicate dry a bit until extra moisture is gone, and it has a clay-like consistency.
15: Store in air-tight containers, or dry it out all the way and crush it into a fine powder for storage.

Note: as of when I was writing this, purified native clay in my area sells for $2 to $3 per pound (ready to use).

[*1] the petrological source of aluminum silicate is weathered basalt bedrock.
[*2] shale is metamorphized clay, and can be finely crushed to extract it - slate ( metamorphized shale ) can not be.

Last edited:
Back